Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know, I know... you can't help hearing about how bad the Michigan economy is. But... and this is a big but... I hear there ARE jobs in driving. My family tells me that there are driving jobs listed all the time and that's one area that the state needs workers. Can anyone give insight? Do you find this to be true? Are all the jobs over the road or are there some local ones as well? Do you know what they pay?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Hello,

I know, I know... you can't help hearing about how bad the Michigan economy is. But... and this is a big but... I hear there ARE jobs in driving. My family tells me that there are driving jobs listed all the time and that's one area that the state needs workers. Can anyone give insight? Do you find this to be true? Are all the jobs over the road or are there some local ones as well? Do you know what they pay?

Thanks!
Sure there are jobs here in Michigan...just don't move here without getting a job lined up.

My uncle drives a truck. He said most of his shipments leaves Michigan and hardly any loads coming back. There are times when he comes back with an empty truck.

He also mentioned the western Michigan is booming compared to all the areas east of Lansing.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM

36 posts, read 68,179 times
Job situtation grim in Michigan.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 PM

36 posts, read 151,371 times
Default Unemployment

The west side of the state may be booming but the unemployment rate is higher.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 AM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
The job market is horrible. If the job has anything to do with wheels... avoid it.

My friends are leaving in droves from the state because of the lack of jobs. I finally left Michigan in May. I had looked for a job for 8 months in Michigan. I gave up. I left. I moved to Minnesota and had a job in 4 days

Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,440 times
Default unemployed ? Go scrounging

It can be pretty desperate in places at times, but if you are anywhere there is a city to go to, you can probably get a job. Check it- Mlive.com or Google the Michigan Talent Bank. I have been on there recently and seen several pages of employment. However, Im right by GR so...

Old 10-24-2006, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,999 times
I have lived in Michigan for 50 years. I have never seen the job situation so dismally discouraging. The reasons are many and complex as to why. Polarization in the capital. Auto-industry restructuring due to lousey marketing decisions and ....changes.. This just hits me personally, because of the social decay I see becoming more prevailent. But which came first? The chicken or the egg? lousey schools? Poor edjucation? Can you tell by my Prose? lol. I'm just real discouraged because, I have been looking for a job for 2 years!
Why can't they change the small bus. tax? Why can't we offer better conditions for companys to want to move here or "take up shop". ? If this current situation stays the same? I can see the population decreasing here big time.Even more moving out. Greyhound will be booming! Bussing desparate folks to the work. My wife and I are really nervous about...."How are we going to make it?" All I see is "for sale" "Moving sale" "Big sale" empty factories, little empowerment. I don't get why an empty building can't be ocupied by companys that pay little tax and offer jobs?
I just hope that we can entice companies to do business here. It is such a messed up situation. It also effects me personally because, I haven't the money to move. My home really would not sell, because there is no one moving here to buy it and the ones entrenched here, are laying low wondering when they are gonna get a pink slip. Home buyers in Michigan are becoming rare.
I am concerned. I am very frustrated and I just hope and pray that things get a little better. They are talking about releasing 5000 prisoners and go hunt for jobs. Thats good news for me. I'm even starting to eavesdrop on Micheal Moore and actually give wieght to alot of his political persuation. I hope I don't bum anyone out too much but, I'm just have face the fact that, I am in for one hard obstical to stay afloat here. I have allmost exhausted our whole lifes retirement savings for simply a roof over our heads and its just awful.
I see young folks struggle everyday with kids and I have a burden for thier struggles to make ends meet, with families to feed and and ......it is becoming a fertile potion for social unrest that may exceed our wildest imagination.
Sorry about the spelling, I went to a Michigan school
BEFORE the "NO child left behind" act. That's a whole diff. debate.......

Old 11-04-2006, 02:58 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,065 times
We left Michigan for Minnesota a few months ago also. My wife and I both had multiple job offers before we even moved here. Its a lot differant than Michigan.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Michigan is a beautiful state with plenty to do, however the economy here is very bad, like the previous person said, if you move here, make sure you have a job lined up already. Homes are overpriced too.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Update -

We took the chance and came here, it's been over 3 weeks now. Wow... this place is dismal. The papers have nothing for my husband to apply to. Last Saturday I looked at the Free Press job section. There were a TOTAL of 18 jobs listed - for a major metropolitan city in the country. That's awful.

All the driving jobs did turn out to be over the road and/or very low pay - much lower than he's used to making.

He sent his resume to places he's interested in working for anyway, even though they weren't asking for them. He's gotten no calls. We drove past some of the places and they have signs on the door saying they are not accepting applications or resumes.

It's a sad state and although family lives here and it's originally where we are from we cannot stay here with a job market like this. We are planning to move after Thanksgiving unless something drastically changes before then, which I doubt. Michigan is in shambles economically, and yet they just voted to keep the same people in power - which blows my mind. You would think with the state dong so poorly they would want change.

I'm out of here in a couple of weeks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan