Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:18 PM

622 posts, read 2,710,108 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Blue Grass Fever, you and I have to represent northern Michigan, because no one else is standing up for it!

There are a lot of great places in the US, in fact I am planning on moving... but I will always love my home. It is a unique, great place!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 04:26 AM

153 posts, read 711,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Just wondering what northern cities reek of decay?
Depending on how far "north" you wish to go: Flint (really bad), Saginaw, The Soo(UP), and quite a few ghost towns over by Baraga (UP).

I will note I wasn't intending the decay comment to apply to the northern cities - though as I read it now it did sound like it. I was more using it to describe Lansing/Detroit/Flint/Saginaw.

Anyway, I'll defend the UP all day with you maria... I loved it up there. I spent alot of my childhood there and I still visit there alot!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 AM

622 posts, read 2,710,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
Depending on how far "north" you wish to go: Flint (really bad), Saginaw, The Soo(UP), and quite a few ghost towns over by Baraga (UP).

I will note I wasn't intending the decay comment to apply to the northern cities - though as I read it now it did sound like it. I was more using it to describe Lansing/Detroit/Flint/Saginaw.

Anyway, I'll defend the UP all day with you maria... I loved it up there. I spent alot of my childhood there and I still visit there alot!

Cool! Then really, we agree. I know that there are a lot of problems/decay in MI- especially in SE MI- but I just wanted to point out some of the more beautiful, thriving areas we have as well for others who may be reading this.

Say Ya To Da UP, Eh!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM

106 posts, read 573,335 times
Default Wasteland

This state is dead.
There is nothing to look foward to.

I put much of the blame on the auto unions.
They are responsible for this mess.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
This state is dead.
There is nothing to look foward to.

I put much of the blame on the auto unions.
They are responsible for this mess.
I'm sure you weren't blaming the auto unions when things were going good.

Your motto should be "stop the world and let me off"!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times
Default It's horrible here!!! I made $40K and now can't make $10/hr.

I find it pointless to go to work for $8.00/hr after paying daycare and taxes. I was making $40K/yr 4 years ago. I even ran my own businesses since with little success. This is a sad time for Michigan.
Yes, the Union has alot to do with this!!! Yes we were happy when all was good. Floor sweepers making $20+/ hr. Even my dad, a computer tech, he makes $100,000/yr. Cries everyday wanting to afford retirement. So sad. Not willing to give up his piper airplane or any of his other prizes from the auto industry! His career (except his associate degree) was paid for by the auto company. SPOILED!!! That describes all these UNION workers.
Not saying they should have expected less than they were guaranteed by these companies but we have to FLEX with a downward spiraling economy. What gives?
Foreign auto companies are steering clear of Detroit. The fear is highly paid union folks. Think about it. In China what do they work for an hour (think Walmart, great prices for cheap labor)?
This whole country will become Michigan unless government changes and foreign trade policies change. Michigan is only the beginning to the ruin of the U.S.
That's my thoughts. Beat me up all you want but just saying my thoughts!
Anna

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
RedWingsFan - Have you left Michigan or are you still there? I went home for Christmas (my three kids still live there), and the news and state of things so very depressed me. Everyone keeps saying "Michigan has been hit hard before and pulled out and it will do it again". Wow, the houses are still on the market that were on the market when my husband and I left. I find it safe to say that if we had stayed we would have had to file bankruptcy! Good luck to all in Michigan, it is a beautiful state and the people are great, but I choose to live comfortably. Regards........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan