Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,626,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
Chelsea is an adorable little town although my experiences with it are primarily eating at The Common Grill, the Purple Rose Theater, and Chelsea Community Hospital. Not sure about schools. A fair number of U of M faculty live in Saline as well. Never though of Brighton as really being in the A2 area - it's a good 25-30 minutes away and has it's own feel. You don't really get the university influence there. Had a friend who lived in Brighton and worked at MSU.
In theory, if the OP and his wife each had an opportunity at different places (UM and MSU) it would be possible to live in the Brighton area and one could commute in each direction. Just something to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

4,364 posts, read 6,552,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
Michigan versus Pennsylvania for our move

We have been to Pittsburgh for a recent hockey tournament and we did love the town. We found the people really awesome and the Italian food was a pure win. We find the housing rent prices a bit higher than we’re looking for. We intend on renting out our home here and renting elsewhere to get a lay of the land. While Pennsylvania is still on the map, Michigan is another idea due to low cost of living, the beautiful landscape and a couple killer universities, either I would love to be affiliated with.

What we want: The obvious stuff…Good schools, safety. A town with some character, not looking for pure urban living, but not interested in sprawl either. Would consider rural if not too rural. Both my sons play ice hockey so they should fit in well in Michigan, so we want to make sure there is some good opportunities for them there and we are close enough to various hockey programs. Proximity to MSU or UM is paramount. I have already spoken to representative at MSU and am impressed with their program. I like what I hear about AA, but fear cost is a bit too high. Looking to rent a house in the 900-1200 range, we could go a bit higher for good home. We are the type of couple that likes artisan shops, eateries, jazz music, wine bars and generally upscale nightlife. But we also like sitting on the deck, camping out or taking some food down to the lake. And then other times you'll find us blasting rock music on the docking station while drinking shooters and beer.

Thanks to all.
I have lived in both Pittsburgh and Detroit. Both are viable choices to fit what you're looking for. I would still leave Pittsburgh in the running if you have the work opportunities there. There is no way COL could be any better in MI. That one is going to be a wash.

If you're going to want good Hockey programs, Pittsburgh is really on the rise. You'll find opportunity in the Detroit area too.

If you are looking to work with UM you'd need to be looking at the areas around Ann Arbor.

Pittsburgh has plenty of culture going with the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon both being with in the City Limits. UM and MSU are not but they are in College towns that have great personalities.

That Lake Side life style you refer to is most definitely there on Lake St Clair but that's on the other side of Detroit.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM

826 posts, read 1,936,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
In theory, if the OP and his wife each had an opportunity at different places (UM and MSU) it would be possible to live in the Brighton area and one could commute in each direction. Just something to keep in mind.
Very true...great point!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 AM

13 posts, read 16,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
This is another thought.

Thanks for all the feedback. The wife really wants to go. I am a bit more conservative in thought as I've lived in the Mid-Atlantic my entire life. She has lived all over...from NJ to Texas...to even Germany. Moving and being away from close family has never bothered here.

Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,283,839 times
It's only an hour+ flight from Detroit to anywhere in the Mid-Altantic region (DC/NYC/Phillie) for visiting. You're not moving to Dubai. Yet =)

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM

13 posts, read 16,678 times
LMAO.

The Mid-Atlantic is nothing special, it's just where I was born, raised, and lived.

Visiting Michigan will be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan