Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times

Advertisements

I have some distant relatives that live up north. They live in a very small town and I personally found it scary. Every year my dad would make us all go to the family reunion. Unfriendly people and burgers made out of god knows what. I hated it and when I got old enough to bow out, I did.

Walk into the local diner and everyone stops talking to turn and look at you and not in a friendly way either. Building codes must not exist because I saw quite a few homes where people got creative with their additions. Some even attached a camping trailer to their house. Pretty interesting to see a house with tail lights. Got trash? Throw it in the yard.

Years later my mother bought a cabin on a lake in northern Michigan. Again another small town and it looked charming. The town consisted of several buildings, one being a pizza place. I went in to get some pizza and again got not so friendly vibe. As I was waiting on my order a woman said her party, "WHO THE HELL IS THAT?" I was going to say something smart ass but she looked big enough to snap me like a twig. I enjoy going up north but don't hang out too much in some of the smaller towns. Some towns look like a good place to go missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Get over yourself.
You do the same my good friend, you do the same...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes.

Detroit is a lot like a southern city in terms of culture, and they don't call the state "Michissippi" for nothing.

That is funny....
I have heard Michigan Hillbilly but not Michissippi.
Good one.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have some distant relatives that live up north. They live in a very small town and I personally found it scary. Every year my dad would make us all go to the family reunion. Unfriendly people and burgers made out of god knows what. I hated it and when I got old enough to bow out, I did.

Walk into the local diner and everyone stops talking to turn and look at you and not in a friendly way either. Building codes must not exist because I saw quite a few homes where people got creative with their additions. Some even attached a camping trailer to their house. Pretty interesting to see a house with tail lights. Got trash? Throw it in the yard.

Years later my mother bought a cabin on a lake in northern Michigan. Again another small town and it looked charming. The town consisted of several buildings, one being a pizza place. I went in to get some pizza and again got not so friendly vibe. As I was waiting on my order a woman said her party, "WHO THE HELL IS THAT?" I was going to say something smart ass but she looked big enough to snap me like a twig. I enjoy going up north but don't hang out too much in some of the smaller towns. Some towns look like a good place to go missing.
If you are an outdoor type of person there is plenty in Michigan.

Personally I can only canoe, fish, hike so many times.
Michigan is fine , but its not for everyones liking.

Same is true for everyplace in the country.
Different strokes for different folks.

People are nice though.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Get over yourself. Just because you and the group you hang with hate MI doesn't mean all the BS you spew here is widespread or common in the rest of the State. Before I started visiting C-D I had never heard that phrase, I really don't give a rats ass if you believe me of not.
Honestly... I had never heard "michissippi" either before coming on this forum. Not trying to stir the pot more, just thought I would give my personal experience.

It sounds like it might be sort of a cult expression that is used in some circles in the southeast part of the state. Apparently it IS real, but I don't think it is widely used.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 AM

116 posts, read 273,012 times
Never heard the term michissippi in my life and I have lived here for 68 years - stupid question, op

Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
That is funny....
I have heard Michigan Hillbilly but not Michissippi.
Good one.
I'm just curious Sunnyandcloudy,

is there some reason why you are on the Michigan forum? Nothing wrong with it, just never seen you here. Are you from Michigan?

Obviously you are on the Chicago forum and you live in the southwest suburbs.

You do understand that everything south and east of the Stevenson (I-55) in Chicagoland is exactly comparable to Wayne and Macomb counties in metro Detroit. Right? Just thought you should know.

Some south suburbanites are the worst offenders of clinging to Chicagos cosmopolitan image. Because they know very well that Tinley Park is basically a major white flight suburb for generational south side Irish to move out of the south side. One can throw a rock from the edge of Tinley Park and watch it land in a cornfield. Well, in some parts that might be an exaggeration. But anyways, where you live is classic Great Lakes, rustbelt segregation.

If you are simply unaware of what other midwest metro areas are like I do apologize for the rant. But it is my BIGGEST pet peeve when people from lame, conservative, boring Chicago suburbs think that their world is somehow special because they live in the same county as downtown Chicago.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 04-01-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:

People are nice though.
You do know that Michigan has 10 million people, while Illinois has 13 million. Right?

You do know that despite some major challenges, and bombed out neighborhoods in parts of Detroit proper there is enough culture in the 5 million plus metro area of Detroit-Ann Arbor, with an easy 45 minute and $45 dollar flight to Chicago to have that only in Chicago experience any time you want.

Just because you happen to live in the same county (Cook) that has the world class concentration of urban amenities from Lincoln Park to the museum campus, does not make the southwest suburbs any more special than suburban areas elsewhere in the midwest.

Michigan is not freaking Manitoba, Canada. It is home to what was once Americas 4th largest city that revolutionized the world, and popular music.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:

People are nice though.

There must be a lot of Chicagolanders who like west Michigan because they flock there every weekend.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
You do know that Michigan has 10 million people, while Illinois has 13 million. Right?

You do know that despite some major challenges, and bombed out neighborhoods in parts of Detroit proper there is enough culture in the 5 million plus metro area of Detroit-Ann Arbor, with an easy 45 minute and $45 dollar flight to Chicago to have that only in Chicago experience any time you want.

Just because you happen to live in the same county (Cook) that has the world class concentration of urban amenities from Lincoln Park to the museum campus, does not make the southwest suburbs any more special than suburban areas elsewhere in the midwest.

Michigan is not freaking Manitoba, Canada. It is home to what was once Americas 4th largest city that revolutionized the world, and popular music.
Okay and what in my post was so derogatory?

Like mentioned . Different strokes for different folks.

BTW - Please do your best to stay on the origianal topic.
This conversation has drifted into something that was never even approached.
This topic had nothing to do with Cook County nor did I mention anything of the sort.

I did not in any way shape of form mention Cook county was any better than Michigan or any other place in the U.S>
Your twisting this conversation into something that was not even mentioned.
This was not meant to debate one area of the Midwest against another.

Heck I even commented the people in Michigan were good hearted.

Another fact ---- Did I even bring up any other area whether it be in Illinois . florida, california ....
NO

Appears the three of you read into this post and decided to insert thoughts that I did not even mention.

So if you felt compelled to write a book defending something that was not even brought up then explain where my post was anyway rude to any of you.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 04-01-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan