Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

In which area of the upper peninsula do you find the most farms that can be seen from the road? I don't want to bother anyone or go on their property, just pull over on the side of the road. I will be going to the UP for the first time in the fall and I like to take farmhouse and barn photos (yes, even more than lighthouses and waterfalls). The tourism guides don't say in what part of the UP the largest concentration of farms are located. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Last time I was in the U.P., I remember seeing farms along M-117 (between U.S. 2 and M-28) but it was a long time ago. Seems like there was more open farmland in that area, compared to most of the U.P. which is forested.

Honestly, I don't know if the U.P. is a great place to do farm photography, but I could be wrong. I think the northern lower peninsula would have more farms/barns.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Last time I was in the U.P., I remember seeing farms along M-117 (between U.S. 2 and M-28) but it was a long time ago. Seems like there was more open farmland in that area, compared to most of the U.P. which is forested.

Honestly, I don't know if the U.P. is a great place to do farm photography, but I could be wrong. I think the northern lower peninsula would have more farms/barns.
It seems like I can't give you another rep but I appreciate the response. I'll look for M-117 on the map.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
The largest farming area in the UP is south on the Lake Michigan side, off US 2 the Fayetteville penuslia is often called the " banana belt" of the UP. There are also dairy farms off US41 , that's the section that drops down to the Wi. Line. You might find the most interesting pics. In an area that only has farms for local city needs. Marquette has the small area around Skanda, 15 miles or so south of the city off 41 lots of truck farms. The hippie types have carved out some great produce in summer in the area, mostly to sell at the Commons park in Marquette on Sat Am in season.Marquette is the largest city in that UP, business is good!! You will finld some old barns all over the UP, as years ago a lot of the Finnish tried there luck at farming. Because of the short growing season, it's a hard life trying to be a farmer up here.The cold weather crops that do well here can get very large due to our long days and lots of sun.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Darstar is right about the area he is talking about, and I will add one more. South of Sault Ste Marie is an area where there is alot of agriculture. This area is centered on the two towns of Rudyard and Pickford. Most of the UP is covered in forest and in general not known for agriculture like lower Michigan is. If you really want to photograph barns youll have better luck south of the Mackinaw bridge. In northern lower Michigan the Traverse city area would be a good stop as there are alot of orchards there, any of the small towns in central Michigan, especially the Saginaw valley which is very agriculturally oriented. The thumb area of Michigan is also heavily agricultural. The oldest farms are going to be found at the bottom of the state along US-12. This part of Michigan was settled earlier than most places so you will find more historic buildings down there. Just make sure you stay west of US-23, anything east of there is the more built up area around metro Detroit, and you wont find what your looking for there. These areas of lower Michigan ive suggested would be great areas for photographing barns and agricultural scenes.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The largest farming area in the UP is south on the Lake Michigan side, off US 2 the Fayetteville penuslia is often called the " banana belt" of the UP. There are also dairy farms off US41 , that's the section that drops down to the Wi. Line. You might find the most interesting pics. In an area that only has farms for local city needs. Marquette has the small area around Skanda, 15 miles or so south of the city off 41 lots of truck farms. The hippie types have carved out some great produce in summer in the area, mostly to sell at the Commons park in Marquette on Sat Am in season.Marquette is the largest city in that UP, business is good!! You will finld some old barns all over the UP, as years ago a lot of the Finnish tried there luck at farming. Because of the short growing season, it's a hard life trying to be a farmer up here.The cold weather crops that do well here can get very large due to our long days and lots of sun.
This is very good to know since I will be in Fayetteville and I'll be stopping in Marquette. Can easily drop down to Skandia. And Danielj, I'll check out Rudyard and Pickford, too. The non-upper peninsula will have to wait for another trip.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Taking a loop tour of Upper Michigan is a great way to see the many different areas, tho small, we do have some fabulous places. A lot of hoppers have not seen the whole thing, and have lived here all their life. I have done the whole thing many times. I would have to say the western UP has the most to see, and draws a lot of the Chicago crowd, being more direct and closer. I guess the most senic area has always been the Copper Country. It is a must see, very historic.
When traveling around our country you should always remember, we have 1/3rd the land mass, and 2 percent of the people in Michigan. The Up is a very special place, like no other, it has a delicate balance due to out size and population. Always tread lightly, when traveling in...the" other Michigan." we should be our own state, but because of the small,diverse people ,population the four attempts never got far off the ground. The UP has the most remote areas in all the Midwest. I hope you find it to your liking....those of us that live sure do !

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM

550 posts, read 2,053,191 times
I took some photos of old barns not too far from Brimley which is just west (ish) of Sault Ste. Marie....I, of course, was on my way to a nice lighthouse, but the barns around there caught my eye....along US 2 before manistique, near Guliver are some nice old barns with stone bottom structures.....good luck and share some photos when you go!!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
I took some photos of old barns not too far from Brimley which is just west (ish) of Sault Ste. Marie....I, of course, was on my way to a nice lighthouse, but the barns around there caught my eye....along US 2 before manistique, near Guliver are some nice old barns with stone bottom structures.....good luck and share some photos when you go!!
I'm glad to hear this about US 2. I need more things to do along 2 and will definitely check out Brimley when going from Sault Ste Marie to Whitefish Point. I'm going end of September/beginning of October.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Taking a loop tour of Upper Michigan is a great way to see the many different areas, tho small, we do have some fabulous places. A lot of hoppers have not seen the whole thing, and have lived here all their life. I have done the whole thing many times. I would have to say the western UP has the most to see, and draws a lot of the Chicago crowd, being more direct and closer. I guess the most senic area has always been the Copper Country. It is a must see, very historic.
When traveling around our country you should always remember, we have 1/3rd the land mass, and 2 percent of the people in Michigan. The Up is a very special place, like no other, it has a delicate balance due to out size and population. Always tread lightly, when traveling in...the" other Michigan." we should be our own state, but because of the small,diverse people ,population the four attempts never got far off the ground. The UP has the most remote areas in all the Midwest. I hope you find it to your liking....those of us that live sure do !
I am so looking forward to it. I'll be there September 21 through the first week of October. So far, I have planned from Sault Ste Marie to Copper Harbor (with a bunch of stops in between), down to the Porkies (with more stops in between) and then down to Wakefield and US 2. I will now begin planning US 2 and offshoots of that road from Wakefild to St Ignace and Mackinac Island. (Then I have to Plan B the whole trip in case it's raining and I have to do indoor stuff as all of my plans involve outdoor photography activities except for a mine tour.)

I'm thinking once I do this first visit for a couple of weeks, the next time I come I'll know where I want to spend more time exploring. Besides the videos on YouTube, Moon Handbooks Upper Peninsula and Hunts Guide to the Upper Peninsula, the photo thread in this Michigan forum has also been very helpful. None of them addressed "farms" though so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again to those that responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan