Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/bu...l?ref=business

starbulletin.com | Travel | /2008/01/13/

Whether this is for the better or for the worse the development companies have found the U.P. I know the article speaks more to other Midwesterners coming to the U.P. But I expect this to change rather rapidly. All you need is the word to spread and you will have a lot of Northeasters and Californians headed that way. Again whether it's for the better of for the worse? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times
[quote=baystater
Whether this is for the better or for the worse the development companies have found the U.P. I know the article speaks more to other Midwesterners coming to the U.P. But I expect this to change rather rapidly. All you need is the word to spread and you will have a lot of Northeasters and Californians headed that way. Again whether it's for the better of for the worse? I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I just posted about in the "2007 is a Disaster" thread. Panic selling by the residents will result in a lot of economic activity in the state, and especially the UP. There is a lot of selective bargain hunting going on with respect to property and housing. I do not view it as a bad thing. It is, as they say, what it is. Unfortunately, too many people within the state are not seeing the potential. If Lansing would cooperate, i.e., encourage and not discourage business activity, things could really be looking up.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

27 posts, read 98,473 times
I'm a native Yooper in Minnesota now. I've been eyeing the prices in Michigan and am seriously thinking that this year is the year to buy some land in anticipation of either a move back or a vacation home. I'm considering the mitten but, boy, is it hard to think of the LP once you've been spoiled by Marquette and the surrounding area.

So, I agree with UpperPeninsulaRon, all of that panic selling has Michigan looking like a bargain. Especially if you compare it to land prices in south central Wisconsin!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
All you need is the word to spread and you will have a lot of Northeasters and Californians headed that way. Again whether it's for the better of for the worse? I don't know.
The long cold winters and isolation will keep most of them away. 97% of the ones that do attempt it will leave within 5 years. Whoever remains we'll just feed to the bears and wolves.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 PM

84 posts, read 364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
The long cold winters and isolation will keep most of them away. 97% of the ones that do attempt it will leave within 5 years. Whoever remains we'll just feed to the bears and wolves.
Hah! Love it (really). Personally, I hope you're more right than wrong, and my gut seems to agree with you.

Out here in the West "discovery" usually means the ruin of what made the place desirable in the first place. It's better usually only to those who stand to gain from it, either financially or otherwise.

And once a place is gone, I've yet to see one ever get back to the way it once was.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 PM

137 posts, read 532,598 times
Quote:

I hope so Jeegaroo!!! I mean, afterall, there's nothing to do here so, they may as well stay where they are....right?!?!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Torrid, It's about time you, your S.O. and I met and shared a few drinks! I've sent you an email. Name the time and I'll meet you at the bar between where you and I live and buy you a round!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:50 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Default the florida model

Quote:
Well here's how I'm looking at it.
I'm taking it more from a Florida model. What I mean is from let say from may to august the U.P. is a summer get away for retired or well to do outdoor enthusiast.
Look everytime I visit Florida during the summer it unbearably hot and humid. Similar to the U.P. in the winter just on the other end. What people do is just stay for a couple of months during the winter so they're comfortable then leave for a cooler environment. As for the isolation and the U.P. Again what was Florida like 20 - 30 years ago. Outside of Miami, what really was going on in the state overall. Not that much.
Granted Florida is not not doing so well because of over speculation and 3 triple digit price appreciation on homes. But it did grow at a steady pace from the 1970's until 2000. Then thing went crazy. Now it North Carolina's turn for this double and triple price gains. Then the retirees a the rich will move on to other "greener" pastures. The U.P. could quite possible be one of those pastures. We will have to see. But when you see large corporations buying land to develop it pretty obvious to me that they are see some type of potential up there. And remember it these corporations build it, they will promote it and advertise it. So I guessing your going to see more and more interest in U.P. land and homes in the coming years.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Plum Creek is big in Maine also. Similar to the UP in that it is rural, and has large tracts of land that sell for far less than other areas of the country. They are already developing areas around lakes and rivers that have never had anything around them. They are running into opposition there and it looks like they are looking for greener (easier) pastures for development.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
iva

24 posts, read 84,094 times
Talking Maine Development...Dah ha ha ha ha ha!

Ruining the Northern woods of Maine ? The developers are apt to draw out the WILDWOODERS thar! They best have guards and BINE-OC-U-LARS...guns and be wicked smart in warfare techniques...

Best be sharp finding traps meant ta catch them folks 'from away'.
'Course, won't help them none. When dark comes wildwooders comes with it, them from away won't hear 'em, won't see 'em...and the wildwooders know the talk of them wild animal friends...They ban together and Oh! The destruction they bring!

Them Maniacs mostly live on the coast., 90 percent of 'em..(being all civilized and all) that leaves damn few wildwooders in the Northern woods in wild places....thousands and thousands and thousands of acreage...and hidin' spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan