Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,589 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for reading/responding!!

I just recently moved to Ann Arbor to start anew since research showed that it was one of the top 10 cities for single moms. However, I seriously think they meant single moms who already live in Ann Arbor. Pretty much all of the programs I have contacted since coming here have shot me down cold without as much as a referral to somewhere else that could be of some help! So I need to start looking for help elsewhere in michigan since I'm already here.

I am looking for family oriented cities that offer programs for housing and daycare. Both are equally important right now as I need to actively look for and obtain a job which I am fully capable of doing, I just need a little help in the meantime.

I know the economy sucks and everyone is in need of some kind of help right now which is why I hope to hear from moms who have recently received assistance of some kind in the state of michigan and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for your responses!
Take Care and God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,499 times
Did you go to the local Dept. of Human Services and apply for help? I know they have to give you emergency food help if you dont have any within 7 days. But as far as housing going.. There programs only open up every so often and then you have to jump on a waiting list to get any kind of help. Most people try to find a cheap place then go to DHS and apply for cash assistance. But MI just passed a law stating you can not be on Cash asst for more then 4 yrs. My ? is why would you move to MI? Now I LOVE MI!!! but our state is broke! They have been cutting any gov. assistance here for the past 5 yrs now! There arent many jobs here and Ann Arbor is VERY expensive to live in. If I was a single mom I would never move there! The east side of the state is expensive to live. I live in Battle Creek and its difently a lot cheaper then AA is. My advice would be to look where there is a job opening in your field then apply to all the places there and go to DHS meanwhile and see what they can do. But MI has had the lowest unemployment for yrs now and was the only state that lost population in the 2010 census.. So I dont know why you would think theres opportunities galore here.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,688 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the state just slash funding across the board for all public assistance?
I don't think it matters WHAT city you move to, you're going to find the same scenario.
Perhaps some other state that hasn't been in a recession as long as Michigan has?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
I answered this in the parenting forum and now see its been moved. I think what is baffling me is why the OP moved to Michigan in the first place or was she in MI already and moved to Ann Arbor? I agree with another poster that Ann Arbor is pretty expensive and not sure why a single mom with no job chose to move there.

MI is slashing all sorts of human service programs. Not exactly the top choice for a jobless single mom looking for assistance. I also believe even if the OP were to get some sort of assistance, she has to be a resident of the area for at least 6 months to a year.

Is the OP looking for straight up welfare? Im a pretty big advocate for welfare but I realize that MI might have been too lenient all these years. I have heard stories of people moving to MI to get on welfare because it was so easy. Cant help but wonder if the OP is one of those individuals.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Did research show it was a top city for assistance? Not to sound obvious or insensitive, but those "lists" generally mean the city is suited for foks who are self-supporting and have the resource(s) to secure services like afterschool care and HOUSING.

If you are relying on assitance for the majority of your income, you might have better luck in Wayne County. Even then you will have hoops to jump through and possibly a LONG wait list?

And to move to any area without employment in hand is a recipe for hard times..

Old 11-07-2014, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,058 times
I'm a single. Mom tthis. Is my first. Baby. I will. Have. To move OUT. Of. The place. I'm. At when my baby. Is born. So i don't. Know. Where. Or how to look. For. Low-income. Housing. So how. Will. I be able. To find a safe. Place. In Oakland. County. And. Cheap. Because. I have. To STAY. In Oaklan . County. Which. Is not ok to me. But i have. No choice. Now i just. Need. A place. For. Me. And. My baby. To live can anyone. Help. Me

Old 11-07-2014, 07:24 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,779 times
Michigan is already broke and really need people to come here with a job and ready to contribute to the economy...not suck it dry from programs that don't have a lot of resources.I was a single mom for 18 years with 3 kids. I never received one penny of public assistant. I always had a job, had to pay for daycare myself, and pay rent. Find a job first and that pays decent wages. If you don't have a lot of experience maybe take some classes to enhance your career. Many blessings to you. I know it's hard being a single mom but you chose this route so now you have to deal with it.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,563 times
Smh

Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiahmd View Post
I'm a single. Mom tthis. Is my first. Baby. I will. Have. To move OUT. Of. The place. I'm. At when my baby. Is born. So i don't. Know. Where. Or how to look. For. Low-income. Housing. So how. Will. I be able. To find a safe. Place. In Oakland. County. And. Cheap. Because. I have. To STAY. In Oaklan . County. Which. Is not ok to me. But i have. No choice. Now i just. Need. A place. For. Me. And. My baby. To live can anyone. Help. Me
You do realize that your baby's father is obligated to help you, right? Even if he won't step up and be a father in deed, he is still financially obligated to take care of the child that he helped to bring into this world. Why don't you pursue that first? Why should all of the hardship be on you (and the hard working people of Michigan)?

Old 12-12-2014, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 19,241 times
I see sadness, worry and sanctimonious anger in these questions and reply's. There is no compassion nor understanding, just dig in and criticize those less able to care for themselves. But then, perhaps you are perfect, and have never made a mistake. Others have and if a lending hand helps, then instead of hating try to offer solutions.
To anyone who is facing despair go to your local "Human Services" building, be patient and be polite and honest, do not despair, there are people that care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan