Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 14,006 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are looking to relocate to Niles Michigan, we are very concerned about our 12 yr old daughter as we do have a "southren accent" I lived in niles when i was younger and remeber it being a small town and very quiet and clam , we are worried about the adjustment and people not accepting us from the south . Any advice ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I don't think you will have an issue with your dialec or being from the South. When I moved up North from the South years ago, I was treated as I treated others, well.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Default Looking to move to niles Michigan

Thank you for your reply , do you know anything about how the the schools are in Niles at all as our daughter attends a catholic school here and it only has about 250 students so we are defintinally concerned about schooling---

Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I used to live in Niles. It's a really nice town, but close to the conveniences of the larger cities of South Bend and Elkhart. It's still quiet and clean, but a lot more "suburban" than you remember it. No one will care that you have a southern accent; most people will find it interesting. Niles has two school districts: Niles City Schools (NCS) and Brandywine. Brandywine is the smaller of the two. There are also several Catholic schools in the area and in South Bend, which is only 10 minutes away.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Default looking for more information on Niles Michigan

Thank you for your replies so far -i remeber snow in the late fall and early winter hahahah sometimes 2-3 feet deep ---Notre Dame is in South Bend where my father worked so i remember that area well , so i belive my question would be at this point what is the cost of livivng like and the housing situation ? We would neeed to lease a 3 Bed condo or similar home in that area either Niles or South Bend -so any advice on where to begin looking for these at ? any reputable realtors who would be able to help out ? Especially since we are in a Financial bind ---as is everyone else in the US --

Thnaks for the advice and help !

Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momfromtennessee View Post
My husband and i are looking to relocate to Niles Michigan, we are very concerned about our 12 yr old daughter as we do have a "southren accent" I lived in niles when i was younger and remeber it being a small town and very quiet and clam , we are worried about the adjustment and people not accepting us from the south . Any advice ???

You will be treated fine here, the midwest is not as different from the south as some may think other than the accents. Actually Michigan and Tennessee (and other upper south states) have a long history of population exchanges. Hundreds of thousands moved north decades ago for auto jobs, and now hundreds of thousands have moved south for jobs ironically. If you want to look local then remember to call it "pop" not soda or coke. Also replace "yall" with "you guys" and throw in an occasional "youbetcha" and youll look like youve lived here forever lol. All kidding aside Niles is a nice town from what I know of it, but I live up in the central part of the state so I dont get down that way often. Niles area is really connected to Indiana for shopping and entertainment I believe. Good luck on your move and welcome to Michigan.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Default looking to move to Niles Mighagan

Thanks for your replies ---we are going to be looking for housing can anyone tell me about condo Lease or a small 3 bed homes for lease if you know of ay reputable relaotors or agents who may be able to help with this ? Either in South BEnd or Niles would be great --

Thanks again for all the replies !

Old 10-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Default looking to move to Niles Michagan

Sorry also meant to add that if you know of a small college maybe a tech college that offers a years program for a CNA please let me know -as i am looking to go back to school after 20+ years ---

Thanks !

Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,594 times
LOTS of foreclosures available for 50% or more off pre-O'blameO regime prices due to the 20+ percent unemployment rate. South Bend is dangerous, with a murder or three ever other day or two. Doors getting kicked down, senior citizens getting beat to death & shot. Empty houses being used by crackheads, then burning down. Corrupt police department.... I guess the criminals are scared of the tougher Michigan laws, Niles rarely has any of that stuff. Go to google.com, "more", set up a google search for "niles michigan" & you will get 2 or 3 foreclosure home listings per day. A south bend indiana search will likely show more crime.... I am gonna go & set that search up...Bye Oh, cna as in certified network admin? Or nursing? HUGE nursing shortage! Sign on bonuses, etc. (Look up Lakeland Health Michigan) Anyway, plenty of good schooling within half-hour drive, from St. Joseph, Benton Harbor, Berrien Springs, Mi, to Elkhart, Mishawaka, South Bend In., dozens.... Michigan CCW permits are ez if you have clean record, Indiana is ridiculously ez.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I think you would be better off in Granger, Indiana. Excellent schools and commuting distance to Niles and South Bend. Brown Mackie College is located in Mishawaka and I believe they have a CNA program. I also believe there is the Ross Institute in Granger. You will find that property taxes are significantly higher in Michigan vs Indiana. Granger has a lot of transplants so there would be no issues of being an outsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan