Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me smile! I had forgotten all about Euchre. Its the only game we played growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM

261 posts, read 506,699 times
Yeah, the only game I played as well. Good times playing it while in our cabin on Lake Huron.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM

206 posts, read 383,241 times
My white friends played euchre, black friends played spades; I like both. Pinochle was my go-to game for three people. My girlfriends loved spoons, but I wasn't a fan. I recently met a woman from the UP who said they didn't play euchre at all--she said they played backgammon (not a card game, I know). I have heard from my brother that the national poker craze is making serious inroads on euchre for college students and younger.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 AM

217 posts, read 592,029 times
IMO, euchre is predominant in lower michigan, while here in the U.P.,cribbage is king! Hard to find many people who know how to play euchre up here, but there are cribbage leagues!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,355,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
I moved to Alaska a few years back..never knew until I moved here that Euchre was totally a Michigan/Ohio/Ontario thing.
Don't forget Indiana. That's where I learned to play euchre. Is pinochle only played in my family? We also played double solitare.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,580 times
I have a co-worker from Michigan and she taught us Euchre. She and the other person that have played the game constantly destroy me and another guy who have no experience with it.

A couple days ago I introduced the "group" to Hearts, and promptly shot the moon twice in a row. What goes around...

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
In college we had at least one Euchre game and often as many as 15 going in the student center from 7 a.m. untl 5 p.m. pretty much every day, Not always the same people, they would come and go and you could always sit in for someone who had to go to class.

When we moved to California, we tried to teach locals how to play but it was too complex for surfer dudes. We had to find some misplaced Michiganders. Funny thing is that since we returned to Michigan, we have not found anyone intersted in playing Euchre. Everyone is too busy.

My wife (originally from Boston area) learned to play while in school here, but she still gets upset when everyone just tosses their cards down after the first or second trick. She claims that whomever takes the last trick scores a point in heaven to use later. (Ok Easterners are silly, but at least they can be taught to play - more or less (just do not try to discuss strategy or Hoyles odds)).

Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,400,311 times
Surprised me the differences between the northern and southern UP. (Sports teams, games, etc) No one in the long history of this thread mentioned Smear....(card game)

Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
/\ /\ SPOONS! OUR family loves spoons. I like it too even though I usually end up sitting there with a bewildered expression on my face when everyone tells me I lost while I am still sorting through my cards.

We used to play rummy a lot, but I canot remember anything about it now.

My parent played bridge once a week. They also played in a bridge league sometimes. I think Bridge is just overly complicated euchre as far as I can tell. It is certianly slower paced. I love the pace of Euchre when everyone is experienced.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM

412 posts, read 679,961 times
Canasta, spades, and my Rogers City family plays Spitzer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan