Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times

Advertisements

Since we have moved here I have heard lots of comments like "Keep you Honda in the garage" or "don't let the neighbors know your have a Toyota". I have just assumed that they were kidding but now after seeing the amount of domestics on the road, do MI'ers really detest foreign cars and more importantly foreign car owners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 30,868 times
Occasionally you might get comments about how important it is to buy American. Most people aren't aware of what qualifies as American made anymore, but even then they'll say at least the money is staying in the country. Even if its just going to multimillionaires and not trickling down to the rest of the population. Michigan has a long way to go before the reliance on the auto industry is lessened.
I have a Honda and no one bothers me.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I personally don't like them, but it is NOT because of the whole "domestic/import" agenda. I don't like them because I have really bad luck in the dependability side of them compared to domestic brands. I don't care one way or the other what someone else is driving. Considering most Hondas are built in the US, by American workers, the lines between what is "Made in America" and what isn't, is pretty hard to define now.

There are a LOT more domestic brands on Michigan roads compared to some other parts of the Country, but I haven't heard anyone who really takes offense at a person based on the vehicle they drive. Drive your Honda/Toyota/Mazda/etc... and don't worry too much about it.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:37 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
* Re US automakers: The influx of foreign autos forced them to improve their product. They deny engaging in marketing practices like planned obsolescence, lamely claiming that factory rustproofing was unrealistic for some reason. Then the Japanese imported rustproofed cars.
There were other marketing ploys like not offering $2 cigar lighters on low-end models, and making interiors as ugly as possible without totally destroying the market for them - a balancing act. The Japanese took advantage of this.
The US models had reliability problems and a captive market at one point.
* Even though American workers build some imports, the profits still go overseas.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Since we have moved here I have heard lots of comments like "Keep you Honda in the garage" or "don't let the neighbors know your have a Toyota". I have just assumed that they were kidding but now after seeing the amount of domestics on the road, do MI'ers really detest foreign cars and more importantly foreign car owners?
Just ask these folks what brand of TV/stereo/clothing they've purchased lately.

And in the wintertime, where their fruits & veggies were grown.

Then, hit 'em with a snowball while yelling:

MADE IN MICHIGAN!

P.s.

Ask 'em what state those bananas on their counter were grown in.......

Last edited by YAZ; 08-27-2011 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
I like my Honda civic. Born and raise in Michigan. Not all the profits go overseas. Some go to my work which has projects with foreign and domestic auto companies and don't forget about Nissan tech center for North America here in Michigan. plus a lot of the domestic companies are spending billions of there profits overseas in plants and engineering facilities so it balances out with the foreign companies spreading profits here in the u.s.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
As the bumper sticker says:

"Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign."

Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
As the bumper sticker says:

"Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign."

That's right. Keep buying foreign gas to fuel your American branded vehicle (assembled in America with components from low cost countries - Mexico, China, etc.).

If you buy a Chrysler, the profits go to Fiat in Italy.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That's right. Keep buying foreign gas to fuel your American branded vehicle (assembled in America with components from low cost countries - Mexico, China, etc.).

If you buy a Chrysler, the profits go to Fiat in Italy.
It's not that cut and dry. A lot of gas is drilled and refined domestically. A lot of parts for both foreign and domestic cars are made here. A lot of cars built by foreign automakers are made here. A lot of cars built by domestic automakers are made in foreign countries. Etc. I realize all that.

The point is that ideally, we should be buying cars that are built here with parts that are made here by companies that are headquartered here. The problem is that the government should be ensuring that our manufacturing and our jobs are kept here and they aren't. And the consumer should not be expected to navigate the domestic/foreign maze. We need a tariff on foreign made goods.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
When i was a kid in the early 90's my dad got a company car and it happened to be a nissan maxima..our wonderful neighbors took the opportunity to vandalize it at the first opportunity.

Nowadays I think it's gotten a lot better but you do see more "american" cars there than anywhere else i've been in the states. I was shocked when i moved from michigan to california and 8 out of 10 cars were hondas/toyotas etc.

I guess californians are just more educated on quality than michiganders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan