Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,282,122 times

Advertisements

I was told by a friend that Old Mission lighthouse isn't worth seeing. By not going it would cut some mileage off of our trip. Is this true ?

Question about UP... were going to Whitefish Point then headung west. Before we head towards Whitefish Point...Is it worth taking the H-134 to detour village. Does anyone know if there are any good rocks there ???

We are going to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore... then heading West to Marquette, then straight South headed home.
In any of these areas are there nice shops to check out ?

Are there any hotels (Like a comfort Inn) in Leland ? when doing hotel search...nothing came up. It did show Hotels in Traverse City instead. Just curious...

Thanks

Last edited by Sillypups; 07-18-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,915,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I was told by a friend that Old Mission lighthouse isn't worth seeing. By not going it would cut some mileage off of our trip. Is this true ?

Question about UP... were going to Whitefish Point then headung west. Before we head towards Whitefish Point...Is it worth taking the H-134 to detour village. Does anyone know if there are any good rocks there ???

We are going to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore... then heading West to Marquette, then straight South headed home.
In any of these areas are there nice shops to check out ?

Thanks...
Probably not. Not that its not a beautiful drive, but its a long drive, and then a long drive back. If you had time, its a beautiful area for sure and worth the drive. If your watching time...then I would say skip it. As for rocks...once you see Whitefish point, you will be there for hours and hours and hours. There are more rocks here then you could possibly imagine....you wont be the only rock picker though, and take a bucket or two. Oh...take in as much of the U.P as you possibly can...thats my advice.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM

What about hotels in or near Whitefish point ? I've been checking & can't find any.
Does anyone recommend a hotel (like a Hampton Inn) in or around that area.
Any Hotel advice would be appreciated...

michmoldman.... were not back tracking thru MI to head home. Were going as far West as Marquette, MI, then were headed South into Wisconsin eventually then South from there.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
What about hotels in or near Whitefish point ? I've been checking & can't find any.
Does anyone recommend a hotel (like a Hampton Inn) in or around that area.
Any Hotel advice would be appreciated...

michmoldman.... were not back tracking thru MI to head home. Were going as far West as Marquette, MI, then were headed South into Wisconsin eventually then South from there.
I meant if you went to the lighthouse. Its a peninsula, and a 30 mile or so drive there, and you have to come back south to continue on your way east then north again.

And just a little story about Whitefish point. When we went several years ago I was not a big rock hound. After we went onto the beach and seen the rocks...I was hooked. I was filling my shorts with rocks...I saw a lady and asked what everyone was looking for and she told me mostly agates. She showed me hers and I dropped all my rocks and have been obsessed with finding agates ever since. I have only found one real nice one...but it was small...but beautiful. I look forward to going every year...I'll be on the beach for hours.

Last edited by michmoldman; 07-18-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I meant if you went to the lighthouse. Its a peninsula, and a 30 mile or so drive there, and you have to come back south to continue on your way east then north again.

Nope... we aren't going there this trip...

And just a little story about Whitefish point. When we went several years ago I was not a big rock hound. After we went onto the beach and seen the rocks...I was hooked. I was filling my shorts with rocks...I saw a lady and asked what everyone was looking for and she told me mostly agates. She showed me hers and I dropped all my rocks and have been obsessed with finding agates ever since. I have only found one real nice one...but it was small...but beautiful. I look forward to going every year...I'll be on the beach for hours.
That's what I mean...it's not just an addicting hobby, but to me it was always relaxing. Not to mention fun. I'd rather rock hound then go shopping...see how addicting it is for me LOL...

How is Whitefish beach...is there an area of just sand that I'll be able to walk out to the beach ? Is parking close to the beach ???

I also am wondering...do we need to bring food with us ? Is there some where to hav breakfast/lunch by Whitefish Pt ?????????????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now what about Hotels.................... any suggestions ????????????
I would like to stay 2 nights some where so we can go to Whitefish Beach both days.:conf used::conf used::conf used:

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That's what I mean...it's not just an addicting hobby, but to me it was always relaxing. Not to mention fun. I'd rather rock hound then go shopping...see how addicting it is for me LOL...

How is Whitefish beach...is there an area of just sand that I'll be able to walk out to the beach ? Is parking close to the beach ???

I also am wondering...do we need to bring food with us ? Is there some where to hav breakfast/lunch by Whitefish Pt ?????????????

Now what about Hotels.................... any suggestions ????????????
I would like to stay 2 nights some where so we can go to Whitefish Beach both days.:conf used::conf used::conf used:
Oh man...it is so relaxing. Lake Superior will put a spell on you, and you will never be the same...ask anyone who has been there. There is a huge sand beach. You walk out and see hundreds of scattered rocks...then you get closer to the beach and they are just piled on top of each other like snow...on the beach left and right of you as far as you can see, and into Lake Superior as far out as you can see. There is also a lighthouse, museum..and other buildings there you can go in...for a price. I'm sure there is a place to eat if you bring food. I dont think there is a place to buy food...maybe on the way...I cant remember.
I dont know that there are hotels...as you know them. There is not much out there...mostly forest and a few small towns, but if you stayed..it would mostly be a small cottage or something.
Whitefish Point is a very cool place.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,206,465 times
If you will do a search for "Whitefish Point" on youtube, you'll find a number of videos that show the beach out beyond the lighthouse and Shipwreck Museum. You can probably determine how accessible it will be for you from looking at a few videos.

Sounds like a great trip!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
If you will do a search for "Whitefish Point" on youtube, you'll find a number of videos that show the beach out beyond the lighthouse and Shipwreck Museum. You can probably determine how accessible it will be for you from looking at a few videos.

Sounds like a great trip!

CatzPaw...

Thank you so much. I never even thought of youtube... I've been busy working on the Hotel issue. Think I found a place.

Thank you so much...

Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 PM

550 posts, read 2,055,409 times
Paradise, MI is the closest little village/town...it is a stopping point for people on their way to Whitefish point and Tahquamenon falls.....plenty of local shops and local hotels right there...there might be a best western there too...it is about a 20 or so minute drive from paradise up to whitefish point....parking is very easy and accessible...many people are there to visit the lighthouse, go through the shipwreck museum and to go out on the beach (one of my fave sunset spots )..... The museum area sells some basic concessions (I think)....

I'm way jealous of your trip and I hope you share everything about it with us!!!

enjoy!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Thank you... I'm making reservations this AM :-))))

Can't wait and I will do my best to share everything when we get back...but I'm not rushing our week along at all. LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan