Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 62,016 times

Advertisements

Hi Michiganers - Is there such a term? I am looking to relocate from Chicago to a city within 200 miles of Chicago. Not too big and not too small. Preferably some racial diversity, low crime, lots of outdoor activities, and good schools. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Baby View Post
Hi Michiganers - Is there such a term? I am looking to relocate from Chicago to a city within 200 miles of Chicago. Not too big and not too small. Preferably some racial diversity, low crime, lots of outdoor activities, and good schools. Any suggestions? Thanks.

We call us Michiganders so pretty close

Grand Rapids is 3 hours, not 2 but its the major city on the west coast of the state and its a good mid sized city with everything you are looking for except maybe a very heavy racial diversity. Most of the west side of MI is not super racially diverse, but in terms of things to do, good schools, lower crime rate, etc Grand Rapids and surrounding towns are probably a good bet. If you want small cities your options open up a lot, but grand rapids is the bigger one on that side of the state

Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
We call us Michiganders so pretty close

Grand Rapids is 3 hours, not 2 but its the major city on the west coast of the state and its a good mid sized city with everything you are looking for except maybe a very heavy racial diversity. Most of the west side of MI is not super racially diverse, but in terms of things to do, good schools, lower crime rate, etc Grand Rapids and surrounding towns are probably a good bet. If you want small cities your options open up a lot, but grand rapids is the bigger one on that side of the state
It's about 170 miles, so it depends how fast you drive. I can make it from Flint to Chicago in less than 4 hours. It does help to drive it in the wee hours to avoid the horrible Chicago traffic! My brother lives there; I drive down every 2-3 months to visit.
South Haven is about 120 miles, even closer. I don't know the west side of the state that well, but I understand that's a nice little city too. Benton Harbor (even closer) would not be a good choice, high crime.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,504 times
Check out Grand Rapids, MI. Decent size town not too far from Chicago. We go to Chicago often for a day trip. It's about a 3 hr drive on Saturdays.

We currently live in Ada, MI where lots of Chicago transplants relocated to and send their kids to Forest Hills Public Schools. Ada is only a 20 minute drive to downtown GR and 20 minute drive to the airport!

Come and check it out!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 PM

18 posts, read 109,692 times
Niles is a pretty nice town, close to South Bend, IN. That's about 15 min. southeast of Benton Harbor.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 62,016 times
Hi Michiganders - Thanks so much for your input. I plan to make a couple weekend trips over the next few months - so I will certainly make the stops you suggest.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 157,039 times
check out Holland, Grand Haven and a Saugatuck....pretty cool beach towns.....!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:29 AM

144 posts, read 824,570 times
I am in SW MI exactly 2 hrs from downtown Chicago. Just got back from Chicago last weekend.

We have alot of ppl from Chicago buying up property in St Joe County. We love it here. It's a beautiful county with lakes like you wouldn't believe. I can't telll you much about the schools as we homeschool so I'll leave that to the others.

We moved here from SW Florida..got sick and tired of the ppl and crime and the dog eat dog rat race......we wanted a slower pace of life and found it right here. I dont' miss the city and when I do...Chicago is only 2 hrs away.

Ann Arbor is only 2 hrs away as well. Kzoo and Battle Creek are an hour away and provide lots of choice for entertainment and mall shopping. South Bend is very close and so is Shipshewanna..home of the largest flea market. lol

Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 55,016 times
Kalamazoo, baby. It's relatively fun, nice downtown area, lots of diversity. Plus, the name is fun to say. I lived there for 4 and 1/2 years, and I kind of miss it.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 44,381 times
I live in niles and trust me scratch that one from your list unless you get a great job offer!!

I would try kalmazoo ,grand rapids, st. joe, paw paw,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan