Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times

Advertisements

Detroit man performs a unbelievable feat of human endurance by walking 21 miles to work 5 days a week.

Detroit man walks 21 miles to work each day | www.fox23.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Detroit man performs a unbelievable feat of human endurance by walking 21 miles to work 5 days a week.

Yeah...and in other news....we have a new President. Barak Obama.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
old news....

Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah...and in other news....we have a new President. Barak Obama.
Sorry about that it's sort of new news out in California..............

Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
It might be old news but I don't think it's been discussed here on CD. There are a few things wrong with this story, although I'm happy he got a car.

1. Going that far for the pay he gets?
2. Job gave him no raise after all of these years?
3. Couldn't move closer to his job?
4. Couldn't get another job closer to where he lives after all of these years?

Not trying to put anyone down in anyway but wow that's crazy. However, his employers should be ashamed for keeping him at that wage for so long... knowing what he was going through, no raise or nothing. With that pay, he can find two minimum wage jobs probably in his neighborhood, he would make just as much and get twice as much sleep because the sleep he's getting now (or was) can't be healthy at all. Much more reasonable than traveling to a land far far away for that lousy pay and NO RAISE.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,336 times
What I think is awful is that when everyone started giving the guy donations, his neighbors kept asking him for help. So much so that the police had to come in and mediate the situation. I think the newspaper said that he had to be moved to a new house because things got so bad w/his neighbors.

It really ticks me off realizing how selfish some people can be.

I can understand being jealous - that's normal, but it just really bothered me how greedy his neighbors were.

The only reason the guy got help was because the newspaper did a story on him. It's not like he sought out the new car and donations.

I'm always impressed with how generous people in our community are. Then, I get sad because there's always the greedy, selfish people who want to get their piece of the pie.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
I hear he is walking to work again.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
It might be old news but I don't think it's been discussed here on CD. There are a few things wrong with this story, although I'm happy he got a car.

1. Going that far for the pay he gets?
2. Job gave him no raise after all of these years?
3. Couldn't move closer to his job?
4. Couldn't get another job closer to where he lives after all of these years?

Not trying to put anyone down in anyway but wow that's crazy. However, his employers should be ashamed for keeping him at that wage for so long... knowing what he was going through, no raise or nothing. With that pay, he can find two minimum wage jobs probably in his neighborhood, he would make just as much and get twice as much sleep because the sleep he's getting now (or was) can't be healthy at all. Much more reasonable than traveling to a land far far away for that lousy pay and NO RAISE.
His situation is a reflection of reality in Detroit.

Detroit has become such an 'economic desert' that residents now commute up to four-hours each day just to find work | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
More than 228,000 Detroit residents commute beyond the city limits, while only about 115,000 people who live in Detroit also work in the city, SEMCOG says.

Inner-ring suburbs are the primary work destinations for Detroit residents. But several thousand, like Norris, make longer odysseys.
Simply put, there are no jobs because those that are closer are already filled. If you check out McDonalds or Burger King, there are no openings within the city of Detroit. And if there are openings, then you bet that thousands are applying for them but the companies can only hire so many. Detroit has a jobs problem.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
While this is appalling, it is also very revealing. Notice that most of the folks that donated to him were folks from the suburbs that probably work for a living and earn a comfortable living. Most of the folks that wanted to leech off of him and possibly rob him are his jealous neighbors in the city of Detroit. Until this vicious hood mentality changes, the hood is never going to improve. These kinds of people think they deserve handouts and will never contribute anything to society or to the economy. Matter of fact, they are a drain on the economy. The guy that walked to work on the other hand should be commended. He deserved far better than what he got. In the glory days of the Big 3, blue collar workers made a fortune and this guy's wage was a joke in comparison. I'm not saying we need back to the other extreme (because it may have contributed to the inefficiency and bankruptcy of GM for example), but there needs to be some sort of compromise when it comes to compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
What I think is awful is that when everyone started giving the guy donations, his neighbors kept asking him for help. So much so that the police had to come in and mediate the situation. I think the newspaper said that he had to be moved to a new house because things got so bad w/his neighbors.

It really ticks me off realizing how selfish some people can be.

I can understand being jealous - that's normal, but it just really bothered me how greedy his neighbors were.

The only reason the guy got help was because the newspaper did a story on him. It's not like he sought out the new car and donations.

I'm always impressed with how generous people in our community are. Then, I get sad because there's always the greedy, selfish people who want to get their piece of the pie.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
While this is appalling, it is also very revealing. Notice that most of the folks that donated to him were folks from the suburbs that probably work for a living and earn a comfortable living. Most of the folks that wanted to leech off of him and possibly rob him are his jealous neighbors in the city of Detroit. Until this vicious hood mentality changes, the hood is never going to improve. These kinds of people think they deserve handouts and will never contribute anything to society or to the economy. Matter of fact, they are a drain on the economy. The guy that walked to work on the other hand should be commended. He deserved far better than what he got. In the glory days of the Big 3, blue collar workers made a fortune and this guy's wage was a joke in comparison. I'm not saying we need back to the other extreme (because it may have contributed to the inefficiency and bankruptcy of GM for example), but there needs to be some sort of compromise when it comes to compensation.
I remember when Dr. MLKing and other Doctors and Lawyers and Professional Blacks lived and worked in
the Hood those days are gone forever , blacks that make it aren't going to the Hood and
there's a big talent and character drain going on in the GHETTO's of the USofA....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: