Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,208,866 times

Advertisements

You could check out Dish Network. We previously had DirecTV and Comcast and hated them both. We got Dish and by and large we love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM

271 posts, read 935,351 times
A few years ago I bought a $50 Wingard small multi-directional antennae, and get all locals in HD quality. I compared the same PBS local channel using PIP to Charter cable side by side on the same TV, and the Charter feed was pure crap compared to the free OTA. Seeing that I got 23 OTA channels (2-3 per station with over half being HDTV 720p/1080i!), I scratched my head why I way paying $80/month for crappy quality Charter...that had LESS HDTV channels than OTA!

I did miss the digital music so I got XM radio for $12.95/month. XMradio is 4 times more stations and 10 times better selection than any cable/dish company can offer

I did miss some SciFI and HBO series so I wait 8 months and buy the episoides I want to view for $1.99 each online, or I buy the entire series (usually 20 episoides) for only $32 at Amazon.com....or rent online (Unbox, XboxLive, etc...) or at blockbuster.

In summary...I get better picture quality OTA, with more HD stations, and I get much better instant movies choices, higher quality digital radio with 4 times more selection, and all TV series I want via the Internet or blockbuster....ALL FOR HALF THE PRICE THAN I WAS PAYING WITH CHARTER CABLE each month!

If others figure this out like I did, then they will dump Dish/Cable. At some point the monopolies will be force to wake up and offer Ala-carte programming as paying $80 for 10-12 stations you actually watch is nothing short of legalized robbery.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 PM

607 posts, read 2,984,079 times
concats is impossible to deal with, they never answer there phones so your on hold forever and always keep chragin me for cable when I don't even have it. but when you call to get it off you sit on hold forever. so I didn't pay them cause they ripped me off, and I switched to WOW and now they won't give up my phone number. those CONCATS!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 PM

178 posts, read 702,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
A few years ago I bought a $50 Wingard small multi-directional antennae, and get all locals in HD quality. I compared the same PBS local channel using PIP to Charter cable side by side on the same TV, and the Charter feed was pure crap compared to the free OTA. Seeing that I got 23 OTA channels (2-3 per station with over half being HDTV 720p/1080i!), I scratched my head why I way paying $80/month for crappy quality Charter...that had LESS HDTV channels than OTA!

I did miss the digital music so I got XM radio for $12.95/month. XMradio is 4 times more stations and 10 times better selection than any cable/dish company can offer

I did miss some SciFI and HBO series so I wait 8 months and buy the episoides I want to view for $1.99 each online, or I buy the entire series (usually 20 episoides) for only $32 at Amazon.com....or rent online (Unbox, XboxLive, etc...) or at blockbuster.

In summary...I get better picture quality OTA, with more HD stations, and I get much better instant movies choices, higher quality digital radio with 4 times more selection, and all TV series I want via the Internet or blockbuster....ALL FOR HALF THE PRICE THAN I WAS PAYING WITH CHARTER CABLE each month!

If others figure this out like I did, then they will dump Dish/Cable. At some point the monopolies will be force to wake up and offer Ala-carte programming as paying $80 for 10-12 stations you actually watch is nothing short of legalized robbery.
That's pretty much what I did. Avoided paying $80 a month for stuff I didn't really even want and then just buy stuff ala carte using iTunes, Netflix, DVD Box Sets, etc. ....this IS the future of Entertainment distribution and if you do any research, you'll quickly learn that all Cable providers are fighting this approach to buying specific channels and shows on demand (as opposed to packages) because most people only watch a handful of shows, that's it and HOW they get access to them isn't a major factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan