Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 AM

9 posts, read 15,350 times

Advertisements

Hey, gang -- you all were of tremendous help last time I posted, so I'm appealing to your collective knowledge once again My husband and I have been scouting out a place to relocate to in Northern Michigan for a few years now. We thought it'd be in the UP, but we've got elderly parent issues and that's not practical at the moment. We are used to severe winter weather, so that's not much of a concern. We're looking at vacant waterfront property that we'll probably camp on for quite a while, then hopefully relocate to in maybe 10 or 15 years. We've found some property in Alpena, on Lake Huron. I know that wetlands issues are a concern there, so we're having that looked into. We're also considering a property on an inland lake near the Hawks/Millersburg area. Basically, we are quiet readers and art-makers, rather boring to some, I suppose. LOVE nature and wildlife and enjoy some good fishing from time to time. Access to a library and a good grocery store (I love to cook) are appealing, but I also don't mind driving to get to things, either... So... any thoughts from you guys regarding Alpena lakefront living? Thanks, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,243,147 times
I don't have the kind of specific insight you are looking for. I hope someone has some answers though I don't know that I've seen many posters who currently live in that area, more that used too.
I do hope your love of nature means that when you say "wetlands are a concern and are looking into that" you mean that you don't want to disturb wetlands not looking into ways to circumvent laws that protect them. And that "vacant land" means land that has already been developed/disturbed (there is plenty for sale) vs. going in and ripping up something virgin.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,116,024 times
I love the Sunrise Side. Absolutely stunning views from Old U.S. 23 and some beautiful homes/properties.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM

I do not wish to disturb a wetlands area nor am I interested in circumventing environmental laws. We've only got one Earth and have to be responsible stewards in regards to the environment. However, I have also heard warnings about realtors who have no concerns for these issues and who just want to make the sale.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,243,147 times
Thanks for your response, doubly thanks for not taking offense because certainly none was intended but I know these issues get complicated.
Interesting to note about the realtors.
As for inland lakes - I spent a few days at the lodge on Lake Nettie which is near Hawks/Millersburg. There are several other lakes in the area chain - is that where you were referring too? Seems like a nice area but its sort of centered a hour +/- btw any bigger place (Gaylord, Alpena, Cheybogan) for creative cooking type grocery shopping. That is good and bad I suppose.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM

No worries -- takes more to offend me than that And yes -- I believe we are talking about the same area in Hawks/Millersburg. And that's the thing: if you want to enjoy the quiet and woods, you have to expect to travel a bit further. I've been running some mileage calculator stats to see what's what, since just looking at a map can often be misleading. Anyway, thank you for the response!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,923 times
Hi Artpeep. I live in Alpena and if you're thinking of buying property around here do it! Property is the cheapest I've seen in 12 years. You can find proerty for less than a thousand an acre if you look. The economy here is bad. Really. It's a great place to retire or have a camp though. As far as cooking goes if you're like my wife, who loves to cook, there isn't much for grocery shopping here. Basically two stores and one of those is Walmart. We keep a cooler in the trunk of her car for when we go to Ann Arbor, Farmington or Traverse City about once a month. There is nothing remotely close to Whole Foods within a hundred miles. Some inland lake fishing is good but the bay has just about no fish anymore. Some walleye fishing is good out there at night. Not many do but I like it here. I spend a lot of time outdoors fishing, hunting and at our camp.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,915,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artpeep View Post
And that's the thing: if you want to enjoy the quiet and woods, you have to expect to travel a bit further.
Sounds like you understand half the fun of living in northern MI. and all the wooded beauty, is driving a bit to where you gotta go.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM

275 posts, read 442,382 times
Not a lot to offer in the way of help, other than to say that we will soon be living in the Millersburg area. The house and property we're moving to are in Ocqueoc Township, with a Millersburg mailing address. Which lake in the area are you looking at?

My wife loves to cook, too. Our son will be attending college in Columbus, Ohio, and I suspect that we'll likely be packing a cooler and stocking up on visits. Also, my job will have me all over the state. I wouldn't be surprised if she throws a cooler into the back of my car once in a while, or even jumps in herself to ride along.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 AM

Ahhh... lotsa good places to eat in Columbus! I was just down there this weekend for one of my students (received an award for going to State with their artwork) -- my hubby and I had a good time snooping around for a little bit. You gotta try Jenni's ice cream! Expensive, but delicious! Go visit German Village (interesting historical area with a great bookstore), eat at Katzinger's at some point (wonderful deli) and take a walk along the "Short North" (N. High St.) area -- fun, funky shops and good eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan