Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 20,126 times

Advertisements

I am a Michigan native who is thinking about moving from Tecumseh to Alpena. I know the state is in the economic dumper and probably will be for years. However, some day when my Tecumseh house sells I know I can find a nice house in Alpena for well under $100K. My wife and I would also love to live closer to one of the Great Lakes.
I just want to find out what people who live in Alpena think about their community? Is it a nice place to live? What amenities does Alpena have? What do you think of Alpena's distance from other larger towns in Michigan?
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
I don't live in Alpena, but I have spent a few weekends working there. It seems like a pleasant enough town, but there doesn't seem to be much to do there. I think it took me 2-3 hours to get from Traverse City to Alpena. If you like a very quiet sort of community, it might be your kind of place. You didn't mention work, so I assume you are retired. The job situation there can't be good.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
My mother's family has been in Alpena since the 1870's, I lived there a number of years ago. I prefer the quietness of the community; not everyone wants to live in Traverse City. The sunrise side of the state is more pristine and less overgrown as is the west side. There is an effort to bring urban sprawl to the community, particularly on the west side of the city by Wal-mart.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM

220 posts, read 744,835 times
I'm an Alpena native that now lives in Chicagoland, but I can certainly help you out.

What do you like to do? There is the Lake for swimming, boating, relaxing in the summer, in addition to the handful of pristine inland lakes. Ample forested state land for hiking and camping. The Brown Trout Festival in the summer is a great time (though I don't fish). Hunting is practically boundless.

You're only 2 hours from mackinaw and another hour into the beautiful UP. Shopping is rather slim (if that's important to you), but who cares in the age of Amazon and online retailers and UPS. Getting to an airport for trips requires a minimum 3-4 drive to Flint or Detroit Metro.

If you don't have to worry about finding a job when you get there, Alpena is a great buy for housing right now. You can very nice livable houses for $50,000-80,000.

Good luck, and say hi to Lake Huron for me when you get there.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Alpena is relocating?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Alpena is relocating?
I will have to note that on my maps!!!!! LOL LOL

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 168,648 times
I grew up in Alpena and moved to Maryland after college for a job. I do go back, however, as most of my family is still there.

Alpena is a lovely spot. There are lots of beaches in the area and campgrounds. Snowmobiles are very popular in the winter and rock port is/was a favorite fishing hangout for my father. There are two "duck parks" i.e. bird sanctuaries and the downtown boat harbor for occasional amusement. The one on Chisholm Street has a small island for walks. The Thunder bay river is another attraction for small boats like pontoons, small fishing boats, kayaks, canoes and paddle boats if you have one. There is a spot to fish from the riverbank as well.

On Sundays or Saturdays?? the yacht club has races that you can watch from the break wall at the downtown harbor. Saturday garage sales are a big pastime as well.

There are two movie theaters in town. The latest showing is 10 o'clock I think. The community college offers classes for art, music, and the like which quite a few of the retired and older generation take advantage of. My art classes were a fun mix of recent high school grads and retirees. The Jesse Besser Museum is free one day of the week but I don't remember which...Tuesday maybe.

That being said, there really isn't much to do past 9 o'clock unless you like strolling around the super Wal-mart (open 24 hours). There is a mall, but about half of the stores that were there when I left for college 6 years ago have gone out of business. What was left as of this Christmas was JcPenny, a dollar store, Walden books, 2 clothing stores - not including Lee's Apparel (higher end stuff) since they are in the process of going out of business, GNC, a small ice cream/sweets shop, and I think a cell phone place.

Your other shopping alternatives are JoAnne's, Home Depot, and a smattering of other low priced shops as well as some small retail stores in the downtown district and the Kmart which is pretty dead. There are a few others but beware that selection for items is limited and the people going to them tend to be looking for something specific. What I'm trying to say is that these aren't places you would just "pop in" because they look interesting.

I know there is a National City bank in the area, if you need to have easy access to your cash when you move, you might want to think about setting up an account with a branch near you.

...Oh yeah, the city band still plays at the band shell during the summer either Saturday or Sunday evening (don't remember which). It's fun for young families and couples old and young. The fair usually has a decent county singer brought to you by WATZ (probably the most listened to of the 5 or so radio stations in the area) They play polka every Sunday. If I hadn't grown up with it, I don't think I'd miss that part.

Hope this gives you a decent idea of what you're getting yourself into. GL!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM

38 posts, read 168,648 times
I'm not sure what's left for employment, but it was pretty limited when I left and I know it hasn't gotten better. The hospital is expanding and is good for the area, although I'm becoming rather spoiled now that I'm in MD where the selection of services is much larger and they deal with/understand health issues much better here as they have seen more of it.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,126 times
Default Alpena Relocation

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting. Shopping is not one of my major pastimes so I think I could do with what Alpena has to offer. My wife loves lighthouses and we both would love to live close to one of the Great Lakes.
We like the idea of living in a small city on Lake Huron. We'll have to visit this summer and explore the area further.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:13 AM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
IMO, Alpena is a real hidden gem. It doesn't get the respect it deserves. As much of NE MI, it's in decline, jobs are hard to find, stores closing, etc... But you're right that you can get an incredible house for very little money. if I had tons of cash, I'd consider buying a lake front home there. The houses there are so neat, old, interesting. It really has all of the services and stores you really need. Also, during the summer, you can still have a beach all to yoruself in that corner of the state. I avoid anything on the "West Coast" from May - Oct, and head East instead. We live about an hour from Alpena, so I don't make it there too often, but go regularly.

You might also try Harrisville or East Tawas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan