Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 AM

528 posts, read 888,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Oh yeah, I'd anchor the shed. I've seen a few rolling sheds in my lifetime here (our version of tumbleweeds). There was a wall blown down on an old apartment building here in GR last night.
Jeeeeebus....

Everything is still here. We're buying bolts and anchors today, and we'll get the round pen up.

Was the apartment occupied? Everyone ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM

Ah, Scolls being ticked at me is my own fault. I made a catty comment, and I shouldn't have. Tried to apologize, but sometimes it's not as easy as prying your foot out of your mouth.

I'm okay. Better Scolls pick on me than someone with thinner skin.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,922,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Ah, Scolls being ticked at me is my own fault. I made a catty comment, and I shouldn't have. Tried to apologize, but sometimes it's not as easy as prying your foot out of your mouth.

Your apologizing to Scolls???? he is the king of catty comments!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,013,720 times
Quote:

Who said I was ticked? I find it odd to make threads about snow melting and wind gusts. It also rains in Michigan and gets hot and there is also an occasional twister.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,013,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post

That seems like a personal attack.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I'm a big believer of do as I say, not as I do, so... yeah. Besides, he's defensive, but he's a good guy. I have my hot button issues too. I'd rather someone stand for something than stand for nothing. And I still think we can win him over yet.

But I am the eternal optimist.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Who said I was ticked? I find it odd to make threads about snow melting and wind gusts. It also rains in Michigan and gets hot and there is also an occasional twister.
Well the question I had, that seems to get asked a lot around here is how bad is the snow. And me, being a person who learns better from a personal narrative, I figured I'd share my experiences with those who might be moving here, and might be curious what day to day life in the snow is like for someone who hasn't lived here.

The wind is more the I'm a Mama Bear protective of my babies and I'm wondering how often I'm going to have to contemplate vacating my premises kind of question.

Look, we've moved cross country multiple times. I've gotten good at it. Every move I've spend lots of time on CD reading, sometimes asking questions. I tend to post the kind of things I wish I knew before, so those who come behind me looking have information to check out. I tend to overdo it. Chalk that up to the brain damage, I'm not good at knowing where to draw those lines. I wish I didn't have to inflict my addled grey matter on the unsuspecting public, but short of just not saying anything, I have yet to figure out a better solution.

To quote Randy Pausch, an injured lion still wants to roar.

That said, there's always room for improvement, so I'll work on being more conscientious in the future.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 PM

271 posts, read 666,837 times
I have a stick built house and a couple of the gusts were enough to shake the floor pretty good and feel like it was going to Munchkin land.

About 10 years ago I had to run bracing from the front wall to the upstairs floor because I thought the front wall was going to blow in. I stood there and watched it move about 3/4" inch with every gust and many of the drywall joints cracked from the flexing. Didn't want the big windows to pop. Makes me wonder how it stood since it was built 20 years before that, but I really do think the winds were not that strong back then and it really does seem to get worse every year. It seems like windstorms of 40, 50, 60 mph are the norm now and we have had several just in the past 6 months. And every storm takes a couple pieces of my roof with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,902,237 times
Quote:
Jeeeeebus....

Everything is still here. We're buying bolts and anchors today, and we'll get the round pen up.

Was the apartment occupied? Everyone ok?
I think so. Here's an article about it:

Grand Rapids apartment building evacuated after brick comes loose from outside wall | MLive.com

Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
I have a stick built house and a couple of the gusts were enough to shake the floor pretty good and feel like it was going to Munchkin land.

About 10 years ago I had to run bracing from the front wall to the upstairs floor because I thought the front wall was going to blow in. I stood there and watched it move about 3/4" inch with every gust and many of the drywall joints cracked from the flexing. Didn't want the big windows to pop. Makes me wonder how it stood since it was built 20 years before that, but I really do think the winds were not that strong back then and it really does seem to get worse every year. It seems like windstorms of 40, 50, 60 mph are the norm now and we have had several just in the past 6 months. And every storm takes a couple pieces of my roof with it.
Huh. I wonder where that wind comes from. It can't be a Michigan wind, because taking your roof away is not a neighborly thing to do. Maybe they originate in Hollywood and blow their way across the US.

I can't wait to build a new house. Every time I find something that needs doing, I remind myself, this isn't forever. Make do, and save those pennies. I'm building a sherman tank next time, with an air-tight envelope, and as energy neutral as I can make it.

Stay safe!

Magellan, thanks.... Holy cow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan