Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 PM

21,417 posts, read 20,041,461 times

Advertisements

A vibrating and jolting floor? Do you live in a mobile home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM

528 posts, read 889,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A vibrating and jolting floor? Do you live in a mobile home?
No, but it has a walk out basement, the west side of the basement is mostly above ground level, and since we've moved in, several cracks have appeared.

Somebody did a nice patch job before we bought this place...

I've said all along, this place has to last long enough for us to build another one in two years, then it can fall the heck down if it wants to. I wasn't really planning to test it's structural capabilities quite so soon.

The shed worries me more, it's not anchored to anything. I had planned to put in some eye lag bolts and earth anchors, and the round pen panels will add weight, but I worry how far it can blow before it falls completely apart. We didn't get as far as anchoring it. We have woods between us and everyone, I guess if it blows, it will smash a tree, not other homes...

Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,226,191 times
I used to live in the Rocky mountain west where wind like this was a common, often daily, occurence. Must say I don't miss it! Although as someone said it did a great job of drying out the mud.

Out west high winds are often dry and accompany a fast warming trend...chinook winds. They also create some beautiful cloud formations, there's a few photos in that link.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 AM

809 posts, read 1,960,269 times
Still blowing like crazy up here. It rattles the softtop on my jeep something silly.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,940,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
No, but it has a walk out basement, the west side of the basement is mostly above ground level, and since we've moved in, several cracks have appeared.

Somebody did a nice patch job before we bought this place...

I've said all along, this place has to last long enough for us to build another one in two years, then it can fall the heck down if it wants to. I wasn't really planning to test it's structural capabilities quite so soon.

The shed worries me more, it's not anchored to anything. I had planned to put in some eye lag bolts and earth anchors, and the round pen panels will add weight, but I worry how far it can blow before it falls completely apart. We didn't get as far as anchoring it. We have woods between us and everyone, I guess if it blows, it will smash a tree, not other homes...
Oh yeah, I'd anchor the shed. I've seen a few rolling sheds in my lifetime here (our version of tumbleweeds). There was a wall blown down on an old apartment building here in GR last night.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Just curious are you going to make a thread on every weather phenomenon in Michigan? Just wait till it starts raining or when it goes into the 90's and is humid as hell.
Why don't you leave the moderating to the moderators here, scolls.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,022,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Why don't you leave the moderating to the moderators here, scolls.

I wasn't moderating, I was asking a question.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I wasn't moderating, I was asking a question.
You were asking a question about the validity of the topic. That's called moderating. If you want to be a moderator, send a message to one of the administrators here.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,995,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You were asking a question about the validity of the topic. That's called moderating. If you want to be a moderator, send a message to one of the administrators here.
He certainly seems to have the time to be a mod, look at all the trolling he's doing over on the Wisc forums

Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,022,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
He certainly seems to have the time to be a mod, look at all the trolling he's doing over on the Wisc forums

I was curious to the Wisconsin public union debate, and then someone from New York started talking **** about Detroit but that's allowed here. As long as he isn't talking about the UP.

I know I also have a hearty 1.93 posts per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan