Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,385,022 times

Advertisements

The credits are about to roll on Michigan's Hollywood adventure.
In his first budget, issued Thursday, Republican Gov. Rick Snyder proposed eliminating film-industry tax credits, which helped attract television programs like ABC's cop show "Detroit 1-8-7" and movies like "Transformers 3" and "Cedar Rapids." In its place, he proposed a $25 million grant to the state's strategic fund, which promotes economic development and job creation.
Credits that have already been awarded will be honored.
The film-tax credits, enacted by former Gov. Jennifer Granholm as a way to reduce Michigan's reliance on manufacturing, have been described by local officials as a lifeboat for an economy that has been dogged by high unemployment. Michigan's film-tax credit is among the most generous offered by states trying to lure filmmakers away from Southern California.

Michigan Wants to Cut Film-Industry Credits - WSJ.com

A good thing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,010,989 times
I don't mind backing off the 42% but not a full blown cut. The industry was picking up steam and cutting the credits 10% would've been beneficial to the film industry and Michigan. Snyder's agenda is more to corporate America.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM

21,232 posts, read 19,845,809 times
I'm sick of my government(s) picking winners and losers. Every business should be taxed equally.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:25 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,621,039 times
The truth is that the film credits are a good deal for filmmakers, but not for Michigan. If we cut back on the credits to the point where we were actually profiting from the deal, the filmmakers would be gone in a heartbeat. Taxpayers are footing the bill to enable them to make movies here. The joke is on us.

If it was possible to start taxing filmmakers like a normal business at some point in the future and actually gain tax revenue, the deal might make sense. But I get the impression that as soon as we start making money off these people, they are long gone.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,076,435 times
I posted a link a month or two back from a poll surveyed by the newspaper that asked a handful of Michigan residents and the majority don't support the film tax credit.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,917,398 times
I dont think the impact on Michigan is THAT great in the first place. I get the feeling the filmakers are just using Michigan, and dont really care if they film here or not...they just want the tax credits. If they really wanna stay...make them pay.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 AM

902 posts, read 1,929,272 times
Lets keep in mind all the businesses that support the industry , hotels , catering , and everything else . My son did some '' extra's '' work on The Wannabe's '' in Howell , made $100 a day and out of that $100 came State taxes thats part of that deal , hire a certain % of Michigan residents

Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,621,039 times
Quote:
I get the feeling the filmakers are just using Michigan, and dont really care if they film here or not...they just want the tax credits.
I get the same feeling.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,987,040 times
While I think it is really neat that they make movies here, and I love going to a movie and saying "I know that place" We really cannot afford to continue to pay them to make movies here. It was a cute game, but not a practical way to revitalize Michigan. The one thing it did is shed some positive light on Michigan for a change. That may have been beneficial. However it cost a lot more than some good commercials would cost. We need to stop copying what other States are trying (especially when it is not working for them) and come up with something new and unique.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:08 AM

724 posts, read 1,688,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We really cannot afford to continue to pay them to make movies here.
From the article, it seemed like the tax credits were just a way for the business to reduce its taxes. It didn't seem like the state was giving them money.

It isn't giving them money when they wouldn't come to the state in the first place without the reduced taxes. The governor did make a good point though when he said that the whole tax structure needs to be overhauled to made the state more friendly to business. But, low taxes for business is not in any way the public subsidizing business. That is a really antiquated notion that can drive down a whole economy if embraced by a majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan