Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,753 times

Advertisements

I made a personal loan to a couple I know. I had them sign a promisarry note and added late charges and interest rate just to try to make sure they would pay. Here is my problem after they did not pay i took them to court and won a judgement against them that said they had to pay me. It has been almost a year since court and i got 2 payments that werent even what we agreed upon. does anyone know if i am able to take them back to court and instead of a new judgement ask that they pay the court monthly or is there a place that handles debt collection for personal loans. I am even willing to sell this loan off to a place that collects at a lost just to get some of my money back. any kind of suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM

21,534 posts, read 20,175,788 times
I'm not an expert, but I think that since you already have a judgment against them, you can try to garnish money from them (wages, bank account, etc.) or have their property seized to go toward paying off your loan.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,481,500 times
Might be able to apply a lien on some property? I had same happen to me (just $500)..lesson ----Do not loan money to friends or associates and expect to be paid back--do not loan money you cannot afford to loose...it stinks...

Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM

413 posts, read 943,515 times
Just because you sue someone and win doesn't mean they'll pay you. I've been there.

If you have their social security number, you can have their wages garnished or lien their property. If you don't have their SSN, you'll have to get it through a private investigator. Go to the courthouse where the action was filed, and they should be able to tell you how to get wages garnished.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:58 PM

20 posts, read 135,974 times
Since you have a judgment, you can file a garnishment at the Court. If you know where one of them works, you can garnish wages. Also, if you happen to know where they bank, you can try to garnish a bank account.

Forms are available online at Garnishment forms (http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/garnishment/garindex.htm - broken link)

For wages, use the periodic garnishment. For a bank account, use the non-periodic. Fill it out, take it to the Court, pay the filing fee ($15, I think) they will verify the judgment amount (don't forget interest and costs!) then you have to serve it on the garnishee (their employer or bank) - you can personally deliver it or send via certified mail, just be sure to track it if you send it by mail. When sending the garnishment, be sure to read the instructions about the garnishee disclosure fee and how many copies to give them. The employer or bank then must respond and provide a copy to the person.

Good luck!!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

30,705 posts, read 80,385,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Just because you sue someone and win doesn't mean they'll pay you. I've been there.

If you have their social security number, you can have their wages garnished or lien their property. If you don't have their SSN, you'll have to get it through a private investigator. Go to the courthouse where the action was filed, and they should be able to tell you how to get wages garnished.
It is illegal to obtain someone's Sociail Security number without their consent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan