Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:08 PM

158 posts, read 434,272 times

Advertisements

Hey, things have changed a little since I last posted. I am just taking a look at the Kalamazoo/Portage area. Can anyone give me their thoughts on that area and the surrounding areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Gateway to the west.....SW Michigan fruit belt. We loved all the fresh produce, as well as enjoyed trips to the Kazoo for dining, and once a week shopping. Overall a nice downtown, decent Mall, and few traffic problems if you visit during off rush hour.... Its not Grand Rapids for those specialty items, but has what you need without the crazy congestion,crime, and run down neighborhoods.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 AM

79 posts, read 322,806 times
Used to go to the State Theatre for all the good shows there. My sis-in-law lives there now, and really likes it. It IS a lake effect snow area, so be forewarned, but think of all the fun you can have in 6ft snowdrifts!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM

274 posts, read 998,505 times
Kalamazoo has its unique and distinct culture, different than your larger cities like Detroit and Chicago. In a literal sense too, it takes only about 5 min to drive through the downtown area so it's not big at all. The Kazoo area itself isn't too bad, aside from some places that are sketchy. I actually liked the "downtown" area... it offers a blend of an artsy setting and you'll notice that there are very few chain-type places (restaurants & shops) there. If you're in the area, you need to check out a dueling piano bar called Monaco Bay, where the American Idol contestant Matt Girard started out, and an infamous mechanical bull riding place called Wild Bull. Oberon beer (brewed by a local brewery called Bell's) is a seasonal orangy tasting beer which is one of my favorite ones. Also during the summer downtown, there's pretty much a festival or concert going on every weekend.

The Portage area is nicer and more "upscale" than Kalamazoo, IMO, depending on where you go. You have access to all of your chain stores and places to eat all along Westnedge Ave. There also are several parks and walking/running trails around the area.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks for all or your opinions! It doesn't sound so bad. What do you think of the crime rates there?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Again, it depends where you're at. The areas themselves aren't too bad, but just like any town or city, there will always be some shady areas. During the time I was there, I heard of a lot of robberies and shootings on the news in some outlying (not downtown) Kalamazoo areas but they were in ghetto areas.

If you live on the eastern part of the Gull Rd area close by the Gull Prairie/Run Apartment complexes toward Richland, the area becomes really nice and safe. But the in between from downtown Kazoo and that area is kind of sketchy. Personally though, I think you'll be fine - you can definitely tell the difference between the "bad" and "good" areas. Portage, as I mentioned previously, is a nicer area so I rarely have ever heard of any major crime over in that area.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
Again, it depends where you're at. The areas themselves aren't too bad, but just like any town or city, there will always be some shady areas. During the time I was there, I heard of a lot of robberies and shootings on the news in some outlying (not downtown) Kalamazoo areas but they were in ghetto areas.

If you live on the eastern part of the Gull Rd area close by the Gull Prairie/Run Apartment complexes toward Richland, the area becomes really nice and safe. But the in between from downtown Kazoo and that area is kind of sketchy. Personally though, I think you'll be fine - you can definitely tell the difference between the "bad" and "good" areas. Portage, as I mentioned previously, is a nicer area so I rarely have ever heard of any major crime over in that area.

Okay. How is it between Kazoo/Portage and Grand Rapids? Like with crime, traffic, flooding, good/bad areas? And I had someone ask me, how are the property taxes in that area along with the housing market?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM

Between Kazoo and Grand Rapids, the major towns/cities you'll found yourself in are Otsego and Plainwell. Basically travelling, you'd be taking US-131 to get to and from, which would be about a 15-20 min commute from Kalamazoo. I have several friends that live in both areas and they've lived there for some time. They aren't bad areas per say but they're definitely not as "upscale" as the Portage area. There are more older (historical) type buildings in the surrounding area and small antique/mom & pop shops around.

As far as property taxes, I can't tell you since I've only rented but I can't imagine it being that bad as compared with larger cities like NYC or Chicago.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
Between Kazoo and Grand Rapids, the major towns/cities you'll found yourself in are Otsego and Plainwell. Basically travelling, you'd be taking US-131 to get to and from, which would be about a 15-20 min commute from Kalamazoo. I have several friends that live in both areas and they've lived there for some time. They aren't bad areas per say but they're definitely not as "upscale" as the Portage area. There are more older (historical) type buildings in the surrounding area and small antique/mom & pop shops around.

As far as property taxes, I can't tell you since I've only rented but I can't imagine it being that bad as compared with larger cities like NYC or Chicago.

What's it like renting in the Portage area? I have pets, so do you think it is possilbe to find a place that allows them?

Also, I know that there have been posts that say the weather, as far as snow, isn't so good. What do you think of the average snow fall? On like a scale of 1-10 is it bad or really...bad? Any flood problems in spring?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Kazoo can get dumped on with snow, and then it can get left dry almost. Has to do with the clouds coming across Lake Michigan.Closer to the shore ( South Haven) will usually get the worst weather in the winter.The whole area is in the " snow belt", gets the most snow of anywhere in Michigan's lower Pen. Usually the heavy snow fall goes n. of Kazoo. Plainwell will get more,as will areas along 131. 100 inches is not uncommon some winters, even 150 inches over near South Haven. Warmer though in the winter being close to the Lake. A good choice of a less expensive town in the area is Paw Paw, county seat of Van Buren, very historic, not all that far from west Kazoo. Portage is very nice, more expensive, and close in on the south side, however the best area is up north, Richland,Gull lake. Some high dollar properties on Gull, Michigan's best lake in the south/middle of the State. It is long, a glacial lake, clean and can get quite choppy when the wind is right. Lots of drug money around kazoo, big time, ( legal), so there is no shortage of tax dollars. The health care industry has been good to the area along with the University. Lots of young people in and around Kazoo, for that reason. There are some great restored lofts downtown, some for rent, most condos. Its a pet friendly city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan