Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
We just had hydroplane races well over a mile from where I dwell and we could hear them. Didn't bug me though.
The Thunderfest in Boyne City is not far off. Love it when the roar of the big blocks crank up at 7:30 on saturday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times
I hate all of the noise too. It drives me nuts.. I don`t know how anyone can truly relax. I need peace and quiet.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 AM

265 posts, read 801,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
The Thunderfest in Boyne City is not far off. Love it when the roar of the big blocks crank up at 7:30 on saturday
There is a difference between the occasional good noise and constant bad noise.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Too bad one can't just mentally block it out such as being bugged by a reflection of a window on a TV screen. A bothersome reflection will not be seen by your mind if you don't look at it or think about it. Noise just can't be blocked in that manor, at least not by me.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
There is a difference between the occasional good noise and constant bad noise.
I suspect most folk in town think the same way on that one....or when the drags at the airport are going on. Or when stroll the streets....wow, we ARE a noisy town

Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
If they cared about being seen, they would wear highly visible clothing like this.

I have one and you can see me coming from a mile away. Most bikers wear black (including helmet) which makes you nearly invisible. Most don't even wear protective clothing, ride in jeans and t-shirt and have a 1/2 helmet. How's that for not having a brain.

"Loud pipes save lives"... And no, it doesn't sound cool.

I am one that believes loud pipes save lives...Not only does it make other drivers aware of me but it also makes the deer less likely to jump in front of me....

You must be quite a sight on your bike with that jacket and a set of chaps to match...I'll certainly recognize you should we meet on the road....and you'll know me...I'll be the one on the Harley that is shaking the ground under your tires from the Loud Exhaust.......

Old 06-24-2010, 10:27 PM

265 posts, read 801,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwood View Post
You must be quite a sight on your bike with that jacket and a set of chaps to match..
I am not a biker.. Chaps are useless for crash protection.

It seems people are getting less considerate and more selfish all the time. Too bad the noise makers never think about how their actions affect others.

Like those stupid horns with the World Cup Soccer. It completely ruins the game and I can't watch anymore.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
All someone like me can do is continue wearing ear plugs and get as far away from on coming motorcycle groups as possible. It's not a joke for some of us to have the ground shaking wherever we are.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
All this folks is why I moved to end of the road, or almost, ( I am told the world drops not far from here), in the lonely expanses of Upper Michigan. Far from the madding crowds, the traffic, the sounds city people have grown so accustomed too in everyday living.....Yes we have the snow machines, and random motorcycle rallies, but for the most part, its the hush in our woods,the quiet I long for, I cherish,... the cry of a loon, the rustle of leaves gently whispering with the breeze across the Big Lake, Superior.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:10 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwerner View Post
As far as the motorcycles go, "Loud pipes save lives." A lot of drivers never see motorcyclists, and the loud exhaust, while obnoxious, announce their presence, and make them noticeable. If you're out there with no protection other than a helmet, you want to make sure everyone else knows you're there. And it sounds cool.
If that were true, you should have your exhaust pipes facing forward, not backward. Ever hear of the Doppler Effect?

Doppler effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan