Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 PM

36 posts, read 111,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d40372 View Post
After taking a second look at those pictures I took, I'd like to draw attention to a few elements I now notice in Picture #3:

- Sofas on the porches

- Bits of smashed plastic chairs on the concrete lawn (plus, an intact chair in the tree)

- And, a Mercedes parked out front

What you can't appreciate in the picture is all the roosters crowing in the neighborhood during the early morning hours. I actually to hear them...it adds a bizarre, discordant pastoral feel to the place. But, I'd imagine that those who falsely envision most of Miami as being some sort of ritzy, idyllic Shangri La might not share my sentiments.
I have to laugh (because it is so sad but true), many people in Miami don't have a pot to p*** in, but will drive an expensive LEASED luxury vehicle and.

To give you some perspective, according to Zillow.com, my home in a very average middle class neighborhood is now worth over $400 even though my neighborhood is looking very similar to that recently. Just after Jan 1, I called Team Metro to report that my neighborhood park (on Snapper Creek Drive off SW 72 St & 107Ave) was littered with paper bags with holes on them and it smelled HORRIBLE. I had to stop jogging and walking my dogs on that street due to the horrible smell.

When I told my neighbor, who happened to be also jogging in the neighborhood, he said the bags had dead animals in those bags since the Santeros (some weird Afro Caribbean religion commonly practiced in Miami) perform New Year's rituals with animal sacrifices and dump the dead/maimed animals there.

I was sickened, but the worst part is that it took Team Metro until just this week to clean up the disgusting mess--My outrageous $6,800 property taxes at work here. As an animal lover, and having kids who love animals and often go with me on my walks/jogs in the early evening, I was absolutely appalled at this. My 10 year old was devastated for weeks to know people were killing animals and dumping them at a park, she had nightmares for days.
So to those of you who are in DENIAL that most of Miami is a third world country, even in "middle class" neighborhoods, you need to get your head out of the sand and WAKE UP. I can only afford my $400K home with my nearly $7K taxes and $4K insurance (probably over that next year), even though I make a decent living and so does my husband.

It doesn't end there--even in my "middle class" neighborhood, the schools are disgusting, like something you only see in the movies. With every passing year the ghetto seems to be becoming more widespread and infiltrating the former middle class neighborhoods. For safety and quality reasons, I now pay $9K per year for private school tuition per child, in addition to my $6,800 property taxes, of which somewhere around 30% go to pay for our schools.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Smile More pics...

Downtown Miami:

Brickell:

Pembroke Pines:

Sunrise:

South Beach:

Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
I think its appealing. lol

Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post

That's a really unappealing picture, lol. And *ahem* it belongs on the Ft. Lauderdale forum *cough cough*. I really liked the shots around the Grove and Pinecrest, especially the tree shaded streets.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-01-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,455 times
in hialeah it's not too uncommon to see grocery bags or paper bags with animal sacrifices in them

only other person i know on this forum that lives here is tannerman and if you want to see it drive down east 4th ave

Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That's a really unappealing picture, lol. And *ahem* it belongs on the Ft. Lauderdale forum *cough cough*. I really liked the shots around the Grove and Pinecrest, especially the tree shaded streets.
Yeah, but the Ft. Lauderdale Forum actually don't has a thread for pictures.

Last edited by JacobMAX; 04-01-2008 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's funny, nothing man-made there looks appealing. Ugly buildings, ovepriced scarce parking and for what? To go shopping for the same stuff available elsewhere for less? I just do not see beauty in any of those pics.

What about the ladies in the top picture? That is pretty appealing

Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Yeah the one with black hair in the green shirt

Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
in hialeah it's not too uncommon to see grocery bags or paper bags with animal sacrifices in them

only other person i know on this forum that lives here is tannerman and if you want to see it drive down east 4th ave
Ive heard other people mention that its common to see this, still havent seen it but have noticed the people that have to wear all white and thats supposebly part of that religion.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
The Ft. Lauderdale forum now has a picture thread. I contacted the mod and asked he make one available. There is also a chat thread there too.

Any pictures that need to be moved, please send me a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami