Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times

Advertisements

I can show you slum areas in the industrial areas and west of downtown Jacksonville,Florida that would make Liberty City and Overtown look affluent.I am talking about miles and miles of bad areas that have been that way for many years.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 PM

100 posts, read 364,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
....which is why I want the crime map....
Google is your friend: My Neighborhood: Crime Incident

Or, maybe not...considering that this "interactive" crime map is a cumbersome piece of crap. And, oddly enough, it doesn't seem to include such crimes as rape and murder.

FWIW, the little colored shapes start to pop up like mushrooms around 63rd once you get west of NW 17th ave:

Last edited by d40372; 01-11-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I can show you slum areas in the industrial areas and west of downtown Jacksonville,Florida that would make Liberty City and Overtown look affluent.I am talking about miles and miles of bad areas that have been that way for many years.
I can say the same about areas around Hartford , Connecticut and Providence , Rhode Island where I spent all of last week ..... so glad to be home

Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
Do you travel to see the country like me, or is it just your job.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
OK folks, take it down a notch please. I do not want to have to shut down yet another Miami thread.
Thank you.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,710 times
Crime is out of control in large cities but Miami has more orangutans than most.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Do you travel to see the country like me, or is it just your job.

I am the Eastern West Regional Sales Manager ( including Texas ) for a division of Honeywell ... used to work for Tyco / ADT but I changed companies four months ago ... I also now have responsibility for the Caribbean including Puerto Rico as well . It is a great career as I love to travel and meet people and the money is not bad either . Although I work my butt off I usually try and see areas off the beaten path and take in as many sites as possible .when I travel ... I also read the local papers and watch the local news when I travel and trust me many places have crime and issues just as bad as Miami and South Florida ... I have seen scary ghettos , crime , and traffic in Dallas , Houston , Providence , Hartford , Tampa , Atlanta and Charlotte to rival or even surpass Miami ..even in everyone's new panacea ... North Carolina ( Charlotte ) You do probably have more rude people down here than in the other cities and also more non English speakers which I will agree can at times be annoying and frustrating ... but the "third world " mentality is alive and well in many areas outside of South Florida , trust me I live it every other week when I travel . It is not so bad down here , at least we have beautiful beaches , palm trees , lush green landscapes , very blue skies , good air quality and hot , hot women !!

Last edited by Musclehead; 01-13-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
It is not so bad down here , at least we have beautiful beaches , palm trees , lush green landscapes , very blue skies , good air quality and hot , hot women !!
South Florida isn't all that different from other areas with 2-5 million people. It has it's own unique set of problems and pluses, and like anywhere else there are safe family oriented suburbs, cool places for young professionals to live, neighborhoods with thriving nightlife as well as neighborhoods that can end your life at night, a large wealth divide and a unique set of social relation problems. If you live in Boca Raton, Weston, Davie, Cooper City or areas like that you are seeing life similar to living in Matthews, NC or Sugar Land, TX or Snellville, GA. If you live in Homestead or Overtown or a bad section of West Palm Beach you are seeing life kind of similar to living in College Park, GA or Gastonia, NC or a bad part of Southern California. If you are living in Aventura or Coral Gables it's kind of similar to living in Buckhead, GA or West University Place, TX, and several other comparisons abound. If you live in the city of Miami it's not much different from living in the city of Atlanta, city of Houston, or inner city Charlotte, NC. Bottom line- every metro has a unique set of problems, but the big picture here isn't that much different from other similar sized areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 AM

49 posts, read 250,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
If it's really that bad then I doubt you can afford internet service and a computer.

wow. just wow.
You may be surprised to know that there are ppl who own computers in rough neiborhoods. And a computer is an essential item these days despite what you may believe, people go to school, do homework...blah blah blah. Besides there are libraries, with internet access. But I know you're just trying to be funny so okay.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garota123 View Post
wow. just wow.
You may be surprised to know that there are ppl who own computers in rough neiborhoods. And a computer is an essential item these days despite what you may believe, people go to school, do homework...blah blah blah. Besides there are libraries, with internet access. But I know you're just trying to be funny so okay.
I know this is true. I even stated that in another post. But he made it sound like he's living in a tent or something.

And that's all I'm going on about this subject, it's not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBoy954 View Post
Crime is out of control in large cities but Miami has more orangutans than most.
Actually crime rates are higher in Orlando and West Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami