Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area do you feel most comfortable in?
Hollwood 1 14.29%
Coral Gables 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:08 PM

10 posts, read 46,071 times

Advertisements

Pros and cons of moving from Hollywood to Coral Gables?

I am a SWF in my late 20's. A Florida transplant that has been living in the Hollywood area for about two years now. Hollywood people are very sweet, and generally friendly. The area is nice and I like both Downtown and the Boardwalk. I am opening a business that deals with the Port of Everglades and the office is located near Davie. The negatives for me in Hollywood is the crime rate and recession has hit hard especially in downtown. Because I'm independent and usually travel to social events alone, this worries me. I'm always cautious but I don't like changing my routine out of fear. The lack of couples activities is a bit of a downer (I've have never had an interest a Broward boy) , and it's not as family oriented as I'm used to.

The reason I am thinking of moving to Gables is: I like the Gables area, the culture and well, just being in Dade County. Gables seems to be more family oriented, there is much less crime. From what I've seen it's very cozy. I don't know the area very well, but being close to The Grove, Miami and SoBe is great. Also I have been dating a guy from the area for the last year and would like to be closer. U of M students are not a bad bunch, and don't bother me like the students in Ft. Lauderdale in Los Olas and at Riverwalk. The Cost of Living is a little higher than I'd like right now, but I understand, and okay with the fact that I might need to "pay" for lack of crime. I would still have a daily drive back and forth from Broward for work, not something I look forward to.

I'm also considering moving to a town between the two. I just dont consider living in Hollandale, Pembroke, Aventura, or N. Miami good choices. Hialeah is totally out of the picture. I don't want to mandatorily install an alarm system and worry when at work.

Any opinions, or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I don't plan on moving until the new physical year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Coral Gables is easily one of the finest places to live in the American Southeast. It is safe, upscale, architecturally unique, well-planned, well-communicated (close to Downtown and not too far from the beach), and there are plenty of dining and shopping options. I say that you should do it! The only con of which I can think is that housing prices are higher. Everything else is a pro.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
If your office is going to be in Davie, why not try stay as close to it as possible. The Gables seems like a commute to me if the office is in Davie.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM

152 posts, read 627,179 times
"I just dont consider living in Hollandale, Pembroke, Aventura, or N. Miami good choices."

Out of curiosity, why don't you think Aventura or North Miami are good choices?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,507 times
Where in hollywood do you live that there is a crime problem?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
If you're working your business from home you could always move to the Florida Keys. LOL

Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,507 times
I was thinking the same thing about the keys! That is the only place with a WORSE commute to Davie than the Gables!!! (Well, maybe Homestead...or Jacksonville.)

To all reading about Hollywood, Florida, I have lived here for ten years and have experienced no crime, and I don't know anyone who has. I live east by South Lake/Intracoastal, between Hollywood Beach and the village of downtown Hollywood. This city covers a lot of square miles so people shouldn't judge an entire city by what one person says, especially when that person doesn't even bother to say what part of town they live in.

I also disagree with her sweeping negative comments about Aventura and North Miami. She probably couldn't afford Aventura anyway, so she's not missing anything she might even have a chance at, but if you want to live in a luxury building near the beach, with absolutely breathtaking views of the Intracoastal and the Atlantic Ocean, and the best shopping in all of South Florida, east Aventura is your address! Aventura Mall is also a 5-minute drive from my house in Hollywood. As for North Miami, there are some absolutely charming neighborhoods there, but as in any area, you need to invest the time to learn an area neighborhood by neighborhood instead of listening to sweeping generalizations.

An option for her is to forget that utterly absurd commute from the Gables to Davie, stay where she is, save every penny she can for a down payment, and buy a house as far east as possible in North Miami within the next 7 to 10 months--she’ll be able to trade up to Aventura or Hollywood Historic District before she knows it.

(I'm dying to know what Davie/Port Everglades business she is starting. I might want to invest.)

Last edited by SusanY; 08-31-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 46,071 times
Broward is nice. Personally I like Dade better. It's not a wrong or right issue. I have been happy in Hollywood for the most part of two years. Google the local news for crime just along E Hollywood Blvd and I95 towards Young Circle. This last year there has been a spike in crime, as most every city. I just happen to frequent the circle most, so I've been "privileged" to see this crime. Seeing DT as a place of serenity, and then seeing purse snatching, car break-in's, and armed robberies, I'm having a hard time adjusting. With the amount of businesses that have vacated DT Hollywood, there are more areas for crime to take place. This isn't anyones fault, its just common knowledge that bars, late night restaurant and vacant corners usually mean trouble. My father loves and lives in the area, but a few weeks ago was ran off the road by a high speed car chase. He watch the first vehicle crash, and later on the news we found out 3 men were involved in an armed robbery. This was the one that about got away, but nearly took my father with him. Hollywood is attempting a comeback, there is a new (I'm told hip) toy store called Plastic and Plush opening soon to replace the old one that went out of business. I was very proud to see our commercial, but I'm still considering moving.
I am considering moving to be closer to my LTR. He is a single dad with two great kids and can't move out of Gables. Things are swiftly moving towards settling down together. My job is very important to me, but I am fine with traveling since we are operating in Texas as well. (Another dreaded commute). I know how horrible the drive is, I travel these roads currently (and the KW drive on occasional weekends). I don't know the Coral Gables area very well. That's why I'm asking for open minded opinions. There is nothing wrong with any city mentioned in this feed. My personal opinion is just I would not be happy in some rather than others.
In comparison what are good and bad points of Hollywood and Gables. (pros and cons of moving to and from).

Last edited by AmericanGypsy; 09-01-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGypsy View Post
Broward is nice. Personally I like Dade better. It's not a wrong or right issue. I have been happy in Hollywood for the most part of two years. Google the local news for crime just along E Hollywood Blvd and I95 towards Young Circle. This last year there has been a spike in crime, as most every city. I just happen to frequent the circle most, so I've been "privileged" to see this crime. Seeing DT as a place of serenity, and then seeing purse snatching, car break-in's, and armed robberies, I'm having a hard time adjusting. My father loves and lives in the area, but a few weeks ago was nearly ran off the road in a high speed car chase. He watch the guy crash, and later on the news we found out 3 man were involved in a robbery. This was the one that about got away.
I am considering moving to be closer to my LTR. He is a single dad and can't move out of Gables. Things are swiftly moving towards settling down together. My job is very important to me, but I am fine with traveling since we are operating in Texas as well. (Another dreaded commute). I know how horrible the drive is, I do it all ready (and the KW drive on occasional weekends). I don't know the Coral Gables area very well. That's why I'm asking for open minded opinions. There is nothing wrong with any city mentioned in this feed. My personal opinion is just I would not be happy in some rather than others.
In comparison what are good and bad points of Hollywood and Gables. (pros and cons of moving to and from).
I could understand why you prefer the Gables, but explain why you would eliminate Aventura or Pembroke Pines? I ask because if you mainly just want low crime, you can find that very close to work in Davie. Coral Gables also has a surprising amount of property crime, and I wouldn't live almost anywhere in Dade County without a really good burglar alarm.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
and I wouldn't live almost anywhere in Dade County without a really good burglar alarm.
ok... We don't have one... and we have survived more than 14 years in this home, and we don't live in a gated community And mailed packages are left in our front door all the time and they have never been stolen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami