Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM

21 posts, read 96,447 times

Advertisements

Is an IB dipolma at Coral Reef High School worth all the work? Or are AP/Honor classes at Miami Palmetto Senior high better? My child has been accepted into the IB program at Coral Reef, but it doesn't seem to make a different when applying to college. Or does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:41 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,142 times
It might make a difference if your child plans to apply to universities outside of the U.S. Otherwise...I don't know, other than it's something that will set him/her apart from most other applicants.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 PM

21 posts, read 96,447 times
Thanks. Can not afford out of country college, in state college would work. Appreciate the answer.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori2mom View Post
Thanks. Can not afford out of country college, in state college would work. Appreciate the answer.
From an IP/AP coordinator:
Quote:
“AP classes are specifically designed to be college-level courses. IB was designed to be a college-readiness program that had to adhere to the highest levels of rigor internationally,” and focused on building critical-thinking and analytical skills.Preparing for college: AP vs. IB curriculum | Twin Cities Daily Planet | Minneapolis - St. Paul
Students who successfully pass an AP exam may receive college credit, depending on the college they choose to attend. State universities award credit for AP scores of 3 or better.

IB diplomas are prestigious, but I don't know if they earn college credit.

This article may shed some light on the college credit question:
Jay Mathews - AP vs. IB vs. Neither: A Plea for Peace and Love - washingtonpost.com

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
It might make a difference if your child plans to apply to universities outside of the U.S. Otherwise...I don't know, other than it's something that will set him/her apart from most other applicants.
Correct answer right off the bat . OP, I am sure you know this, but both Palmetto and Coral Reef are excellent schools.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 PM

108 posts, read 415,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
From an IP/AP coordinator:

Students who successfully pass an AP exam may receive college credit, depending on the college they choose to attend. State universities award credit for AP scores of 3 or better.

IB diplomas are prestigious, but I don't know if they earn college credit.

This article may shed some light on the college credit question:
Jay Mathews - AP vs. IB vs. Neither: A Plea for Peace and Love - washingtonpost.com
As a university program coordinator, I can tell you that Freshman applicants to our premedical studies-oriented program are shown WAY more credit love than are IB applicants. AP credit gives students a great opportunity...not to decrease tuition through early graduation, but rather by providing a wild card to TRY courses and see what they love/hate/excel at/suffer through...to help them connect with what they offer to the world. IB students are disappointed that they get less of that.

NB: Taking AP classes does not guarantee credit. Your child must also do well on the AP exams. Very well for credit at UM...

I got out of two years of courses back in the day (70s...) and used the opportunity to explore topics that became very useful or enjoyable to me as an adult. Do not use the cred to cheap out, as college is one of the last opportunities to take the time to figure life out and explore options.

Man, I love my job, I really do...

DR

Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
I took several AP courses in high school, passed most of the AP exams with a 4 or a 5, and ended up with more than a semester's worth of college credit. I was considering graduating early, but about halfway through college I realized that the college experience was once-in-a-lifetime. I ended up graduating in four years (with my entering class), and by doing so I had the opportunity to spend most of my junior year enrolled in the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, taking fun elective classes like Immigration Policy, 20th Century Spanish History, European Nationalism, and Anthropology. During my senior year of college, in addition to courses related to my major, I had the opportunity to take fun and enriching electives like French, Wine Tasting, and a seminar on Don Quijote. College was so much more than studying and writing papers; it was a learning experience socially, emotionally, and intellectually, and for my college experience I wouldn't trade anything.

-CrisP- (proud graduate of Boston University, 2007)

Good advice, Dr. Rico!

Last edited by Marlin331; 03-20-2009 at 12:21 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I took several AP courses in high school, passed most of the AP exams with a 4 or a 5, and ended up with more than a semester's worth of college credit. I was considering graduating early, but about halfway through college I realized that the college experience was once-in-a-lifetime. I ended up graduating in four years (with my entering class), and by doing so I had the opportunity to spend most of my junior year enrolled in the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, taking fun elective classes like Immigration Policy, 20th Century Spanish History, European Nationalism, and Anthropology. During my senior year of college, in addition to courses related to my major, I had the opportunity to take fun and enriching electives like French, Wine Tasting, and a seminar on Don Quijote. College was so much more than studying and writing papers; it was a learning experience socially, emotionally, and intellectually, and for my college experience I wouldn't trade anything.

Good advice, Dr. Rico!
I taught AP classes for a good portion of my teaching career. I also was the AP test coordinator at my school for the 5 years prior to my retirement. I knew and counseled many AP students and found that those who scored well on their exams used the credits they received from their colleges the way you have described.

You have described the college experience well - it was the same for me when I attended.....back in the dark ages.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post

Good advice, Dr. Rico!

I had a very similar experience taking AP classes.

I also had over a semester's worth of credits after passing my AP exams. I took the early graduation route (just a semester), though, and now wish I hadn't - I probably would have changed my major and added another few more years on! However, the AP credits did afford me the opportunity to take a few classes in the university's honors program without sacrificing core curriculum (in other words, I was able to take more classes of interest besides the ones I HAD to take, without going off-schedule for graduation).

Coral Reef is a great school and offers magnet programs in the arts in addition to the IB program. My sister went there for one of the magnet programs and was also able to take AP classes.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori2mom View Post
Is an IB dipolma at Coral Reef High School worth all the work? Or are AP/Honor classes at Miami Palmetto Senior high better? My child has been accepted into the IB program at Coral Reef, but it doesn't seem to make a different when applying to college. Or does it?
You know, if your child has completed most of the HS courses at the end of 10th grade, with the last 4 or 5 courses of English and History, they could go to Miami-Dade College. The last two years in HS I had only 4 or 5 more credits left that I had to complete (one english class each year and a history class each year 2hr out of the day), and instead of going to HS and wasting most of the day with filler classes like Art or chorus. I went to College at 11th grade, and took the english and history courses there, so the credits there went to HS and college. I graduated/ walked with my HS class/friends when they did, but had the first two years of college behind me. Just a thought for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami