Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 AM

5 posts, read 8,034 times

Advertisements

Hey guys... A little background info: I am planning on moving to Miami/South Florida around springtime 2011. I live in VT. I have a high school diploma but that's as far as education goes unfortunately. Still working on that I work as a lead production operator at IBM. Been with the company for 4 years. Take home roughly $1900 a month. My girlfriend also works for IBM and makes the same. We live together in a condo that costs $800 per month... Long story short, she's staying in VT when I leave for FL... I'm bi-racial (white/black Colombian), but can't speak Spanish which I resent my parents for ... But I can understand about 45%...

Okay so my 2 part question is this:
What are some decent jobs that will hire me based on my education(or lack thereof)? I'm willing to take classes, become an apprentice, whatever, anything to get a foot in the door. I'm avoiding flippin burgers or waiting tables.. been there, done that... I don't do the customer service thing lol. I know I'm gonna have to make some sacrifices, but I just wanted to know what was out there.

And 2) are there cheap 1bedroom apartments or is it a good idea to find a roomie?

Any and all answers are appreciated...

I just wanna be wit y'all!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 AM

9,546 posts, read 14,529,249 times
Your biggest asset is your four years of experience at IBM, try to build on that. Does IBM not have operations somewhere in southern Florida?

With the possible exception of the most upscale neighborhoods, rents have come down, you could find a 1 bedroom, or a studio, for $800 or less, though at the risk of a bad neighborhood.

Do research on IBM's operations in southern Florida, then talk to your contacts at the company,. Short of that, do research on comparable companies that have operations in the region, more likely in Broward or Palm Beach Countries, unless you are fluent in Spanish for Miami-Dade, find names and numbers of people in departments where you can contribute, send resumes to those people (not some website) and call them. That is your best bet.

Good Luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 AM

139 posts, read 385,670 times
if you want to pay that much in rent (good luck), be prepared to do at least some part-time service work. there's probably a lot more opportunity in miami to make money in the service industry, i'm guessing moreso than in vermont. or you could get a student loan and study.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,571,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbezel21 View Post
And 2) are there cheap 1bedroom apartments or is it a good idea to find a roomie?
What do you consider cheap? What is your price range?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,190,778 times
Here are my thoughts. There is an over abundance of unskilled (only HS diploma) educated people in South Florida...and even skilled people who are underemplyed due to a lack of job opportunities. Even with experience it will be hard for you.

With that said, I also believe that if you are motivated to take classes or become an apprentice and continue your studies, why not do that first in Vermont where you are a resident and have in state tuition? It seems like there people would be willing to invest in the human time to help you learn more and will see the value in teaching you. Here, people will have little interest to help YOU learn your job, trainyou or enhance your abilities. You have to come here with the know how, experience and be liked by the people which is really a cultural issue more so than personality, well at least culturally first and then personality a close second.

On a positive note, if you are able to adapt culturally to the area, you will get hooked up with jobs. Probably not what you do now or what you want to do, but you won't starve.

Many people have the tendency to look down on Hispanics who do not know or understand Spanish fluently, so that might be a problem when trying to meet people and fitting in. There is a small group of "americanized" (for lack of a better word) Latins who don't speak the Spanish or only know very little or maybe only have one Hispanic parent...but they tend to gravitate to the Anglo community culturally. There are others in your situation, but very few. If you are interested in learning about Hispanic culture and embracing it, people will be receptive to you AFTER you have learned the ropes. Honestly, Miami isn't really a place to come to learn, it's more of a place you come AFTER you know the ropes and can fend for yourself and are able to understand what is going on at all levels and not be confused if people are just being racist, rude, if its you, if its them or if its the city, etc.

I would highly encourage you to come with the skills you think you would need in a highly competitive market and to be very familiar with the cultural aspects of the city and make sure it is your cup of tea and to have a clear idea of what jobs you would be willing to take and what the minimum pay you will accept is. Also, comming alone will be hard on your salary, you might want to seeif your girlfriend comes with you and at least that way you can make ends meet more easily.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Your biggest asset is your four years of experience at IBM, try to build on that. Does IBM not have operations somewhere in southern Florida?

With the possible exception of the most upscale neighborhoods, rents have come down, you could find a 1 bedroom, or a studio, for $800 or less, though at the risk of a bad neighborhood.

Do research on IBM's operations in southern Florida, then talk to your contacts at the company,. Short of that, do research on comparable companies that have operations in the region, more likely in Broward or Palm Beach Countries, unless you are fluent in Spanish for Miami-Dade, find names and numbers of people in departments where you can contribute, send resumes to those people (not some website) and call them. That is your best bet.

Good Luck!
Thanks guys for your input, really.
I will definetly have to do some investigations into a branch of IBM in Florida. That would be my first choice for sure. And like you said, bale002, I could even see about comparable companies. Great idea

Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
if you want to pay that much in rent (good luck), be prepared to do at least some part-time service work. there's probably a lot more opportunity in miami to make money in the service industry, i'm guessing moreso than in vermont. or you could get a student loan and study.
Yea, I'm beginning to see that.. I'd better suck it up...

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
What do you consider cheap? What is your price range?

Well seeing as how I'm in a steal of a 3 bedroom condo in an affluent part of town and pay $400 a month (split with my s/o) plus utilites, I am assuming one can find a "decent" 1 BR for the same amount. From what I'm hearing, it's a hard find. Is the cost of living THAT high?! Before living in the condos, I was paying $400 a month for an OK 2 BR apt...

I live next door to NYC, one of the most expensive places to live, and it's pretty expensive here in Vermont as well. I've lived in Louisana (pre-Katrina) and I noticed how cheap everything was. Yes, salaries and minimum wage is lower as well, but I thought it was balanced out.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,885,827 times
400$ wont even get you a 500sqft place in the hood in miami, and as the above poster mentioned lots of Hispanic are becoming Americanized, atleast the newer generation of young adults.

and dont worry about Spanish im an European American,1st gen and i get around fine without knowing spanish, but ive lived in miami all my life so i already know what to expect

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,571,116 times
$400 may be possible if you get a roommate and get a 2br place. A friend of mine lives in SOBE for $650 for a tiny, I mean tiny studio apartment. I would suggest you up your budget or look for a roommate if you want to live in a decent place. Sorry I don't have better news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami