Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM

895 posts, read 1,704,617 times

Advertisements

I am a young man currently in college on the gulf coast of Florida and am planning on moving to Miami when I get out. I am concentrating on International studies with a minor in journalism so any firm that employs in this field would be my place to work. I don't have a problem with commuting to the surrounding areas if employment presents itself there. I love the contemporary buildings, the climate, and the hedonistic lifestyle that goes along with this beautiful city. However, I know there are obviously drawbacks and that's why I'd like to do further research.
I understand that I would be a minority moving there as a white man, I am not in any way racist but am curious if I would face any racial tension. I plan on specifically buying in the midtown or brickell area, but I haven't throughly investigated the people yet.
I also understand the area has a pretty high crime rate. Are there any particular areas to be wary of?
I enjoy the club scene, being a hedonist myself, but I am also curious if there are some more low key, intellectual type places where I could light up a fine cigar and listen to chill out music.
Lastly, how can I thoroughly take in all the gorgeous Archietecture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM

233 posts, read 450,188 times
Whuy don't you try some panhandle city in "Southern Georgia"? Those cities are specifically tailored to non-urban protestant minorities.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 AM

195 posts, read 350,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am a young man currently in college on the gulf coast of Florida and am planning on moving to Miami when I get out. I am concentrating on International studies with a minor in journalism so any firm that employs in this field would be my place to work. I don't have a problem with commuting to the surrounding areas if employment presents itself there. I love the contemporary buildings, the climate, and the hedonistic lifestyle that goes along with this beautiful city. However, I know there are obviously drawbacks and that's why I'd like to do further research.
I understand that I would be a minority moving there as a white man, I am not in any way racist but am curious if I would face any racial tension. I plan on specifically buying in the midtown or brickell area, but I haven't throughly investigated the people yet.
I also understand the area has a pretty high crime rate. Are there any particular areas to be wary of?
I enjoy the club scene, being a hedonist myself, but I am also curious if there are some more low key, intellectual type places where I could light up a fine cigar and listen to chill out music.
Lastly, how can I thoroughly take in all the gorgeous Archietecture?
Not racial tension but you will hear a LOT of conversations you don't understand. Prepare to feel left out.

You will find unicorn fossils in Miami before you find intellectuality in this place.

Lastly I'm sure you will enjoy our endless strip malls, the endless Brickell parking lots and our beautiful SuperWalmarts

Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 AM

233 posts, read 450,188 times
Miami is the mecca of intellectuality in comparison with the Gulf coast.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM

9,377 posts, read 14,329,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post

I am a young man currently in college on the gulf coast of Florida and am planning on moving to Miami when I get out. I am concentrating on International studies with a minor in journalism so any firm that employs in this field would be my place to work.

... I plan on specifically buying in the midtown or brickell area ...
Please explain the gap between ... looking for employment .... and ... buying in the midtown or Brickell area.

That can be a big gap.

It sounds like you have no particular connections in Miami, and you should know that the jobs market is not deep or well paying, with some exceptions of course like international tax law (in this sector and others, the "Hispanic" thing need not be an obstacle).

Many people who live in the best neighborhoods in Miami come from elsewhere and bring their wealth with them and often have their sources of income also from elsewhere, or at the very least begin careers in such cities as New York and Chicago, then seek transfers to Miami based on experience and connections. And of course there are those whose families have been here for generations.

Do you have some source of wealth that would enable you to buy in midtown or Brickell as a head start?

Not that it is impossible to start from scratch in Miami and be successful, but you would need very special skills and social connections, otherwise most find that other cities provide more fertile ground in the early growth period. Miami is more for grafts and transplants.

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM

895 posts, read 1,704,617 times
Thanks for your response.
This is the kind of information I seek on here given the fact that I have not yet faced the turbulent waters of the job market. Interesting that you mention the concept of transplants, I suppose if I would have thought it over more thoroughly I would have come to that conclusion. Obviously there are much more job opportunities in the areas you listed, I'm just particularly aroused by the idea of living in Miami.
I guess I'll just have to play it by ear.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,018,899 times
When you actually find a job here than you can worry about moving here. You have $300k to buy a small 1 bedroom condo in those areas you like?

Anyway we see it all the time, people like the idea of living in Miami. Don't get me wrong I enjoy this city, but I also grew up here. If you really want to live here I would suggest you try to find a summer job/internship here and see if it is really for you. Then you can start looking for jobs here. Or when you graduate try to find a job, try it out and if you don't like it move. But no job, still in college and you are talking about spending $300k on an apartment?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,828 times
Would be interested in hearing more. I too am white, and moving to Miami. I visited for just over a week, stayed in SB but went all over. Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Aventura, Brickell, Dowtown .. Just love the feel.

I personally didn't sense any racial tension. It was actually quite refreshing 'being a minority.'

I would assume everyone's accurate about the job market. It seemed tight.

The thing that does it for me though ... Is inspire. You can't help but want a nice high-rise apartment and boat living there. That's why I'm moving down.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
When you actually find a job here than you can worry about moving here. You have $300k to buy a small 1 bedroom condo in those areas you like?

Anyway we see it all the time, people like the idea of living in Miami. Don't get me wrong I enjoy this city, but I also grew up here. If you really want to live here I would suggest you try to find a summer job/internship here and see if it is really for you. Then you can start looking for jobs here. Or when you graduate try to find a job, try it out and if you don't like it move. But no job, still in college and you are talking about spending $300k on an apartment?

I was under the impression the kid has family money. Could be wrong though.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,309,125 times
Miami is a great city with the right perspective. Miami is very hispanic. OP I do not know if you know this but HISPANIC IS A ETHNICITY NOT A RACE. I do not see why a caucasian would have a problem. Learn to speak elementary spanish at least. You will meet more beautiful people! Have a mohito or a mint jullip on south beach and chill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami