Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 AM

3 posts, read 53,522 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Miami from out of state and need some help finding a good apartment near the University of Miami. What are some good apartment complexes that are near the campus, safe, and nice? Has anyone heard about "Residences of Merrick Park" or "Red Road Commons"?

I found "Red Road Commons" online and saw that it is brand new and right next to the campus. It is located at 6600 SW 57th Avenue, Miami, CA. After reading other threads, I am afraid that this is a bad area to live. Is this area nice? Would you suggest living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I'll drive out there today and see what I think. Will you have a car when you are here in Miami? I'm a UM student also. You a transfer?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 26,999 times
Alot of students rent at Shamrock by the Gables.They are usuall fully furnished too.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmiamigirl View Post
I am moving to Miami from out of state and need some help finding a good apartment near the University of Miami. What are some good apartment complexes that are near the campus, safe, and nice? Has anyone heard about "Residences of Merrick Park" or "Red Road Commons"?

I found "Red Road Commons" online and saw that it is brand new and right next to the campus. It is located at 6600 SW 57th Avenue, Miami, CA. After reading other threads, I am afraid that this is a bad area to live. Is this area nice? Would you suggest living there?
I just passed by there a few days ago (Red Road Commons one). It is still under construction but it looks very nice. It's right near US 1 right? That's not within walking distance to campus is it? I can't picture it right now. Would have to drive by specifically to look for that.

Burgler can check it out for you - he said.

Hey Burgler, BTW...did u move from the Grove or not?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

Hey Burgler, BTW...did u move from the Grove or not?
yeah im in brickell right now and loving it! i love walking to the different restaurants for lunch downtown, it is nice to find good big meals for around 8 bucks. i mean it is cheaper than cooking and only a couple more bucks than mcD's ahah

to the OP, if you are a transfer student, i'd recommend doing the apartments through school.. they aren't lying when they say it is hard to meet people when you are an off campus student. and trust me, i'm not an anti social geek. (although it may appear i am when for as many posts as i have here)

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 PM

433 posts, read 952,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
yeah im in brickell right now and loving it! i love walking to the different restaurants for lunch downtown, it is nice to find good big meals for around 8 bucks. i mean it is cheaper than cooking and only a couple more bucks than mcD's ahah

to the OP, if you are a transfer student, i'd recommend doing the apartments through school.. they aren't lying when they say it is hard to meet people when you are an off campus student. and trust me, i'm not an anti social geek. (although it may appear i am when for as many posts as i have here)

Thats true, I know many UM undergraduate students who say Miami is terrible to make friends and even harder if you live off-campus.
By the way Burgler09 what are you majoring in?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 AM

Thanks Burgler! I really appreciate it! It is hard to figure out where to live when I am not in the area. All the feedback is really helpful

I am actually going to be starting in the fall as a graduate student. I called the housing office, and unfortunately no graduate students are able to live in the campus apartments. I have to resort to finding my own apartment.

I will definitely have a car, but was hoping to live close to campus so that I don't have to worry about parking. It would be great if I could just walk or bike to campus.

However, I am also open to driving, if the housing is nicer a little farther away. I heard that Brickell was a nice place to live from someone else as well. What are some good apartment complexes over there? Is that area better than the area around campus? I am hoping to get a 2bd, 2ba apt and share it with one other person. I do now know anyone over there, so I would also have to find an apartment-mate. Do you know of ways to find apartment-mates?

Red Road Commons should be right by the US-1, and based on the map I have been looking at online it should be right across from the campus. Burgler, what did you think of the apartments?

Where do most UM students live, if they don't live on campus?

How is the social life at UM and in Miami? I will definitely be studying and working a lot as part of my program. However, I am 21 and still want to have some fun :P

Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Have you checked the UM off-campus housing board for roommates and apartment vacancies? It is a good resource, I used it in the past to find a roommate. Off-Campus Housing | University of Miami (http://www.sa.miami.edu/off-campus-services/off-campus-housing/ - broken link)

I will recommend the area just south of Sunset Place off of Red Rd (from Sunset south to about SW 80 St). There are some older condo complexes there that people often rent out. When I lived there they were reasonably priced and you can't beat the location. You could bike or take the metro to campus, and walk to the mall, movies, bars, restaurants and grocery stores.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 PM

108 posts, read 415,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Have you checked the UM off-campus housing board for roommates and apartment vacancies? It is a good resource, I used it in the past to find a roommate. Off-Campus Housing | University of Miami (http://www.sa.miami.edu/off-campus-services/off-campus-housing/ - broken link)
+1

Many of my graduate students have found nice places to live this way. Many properties are owned by UM faculty, others by UM-friendly property owners.

DR

Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Thanks for that suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami