Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,405 times

Advertisements

I am looking to rent at Dadeland. I see that they are having a fire sale.
2b/2ba apts in the Toscano and Metropolis are being listed for $1650.00
That includes internet, basic cable and water.
I am also looking at "The Towers of Dadeland" which is a rental building and the rents there start at $1800 for a 2 bed.
The Metropolis seems a good deal because the HOA in that building is $850.00 and the cost of the units are in the mid 300s.
How can they afford to rent out so cheap?
Common sense (and a rent vs buy calculator) tells me that it is cheaper to rent here than to buy.
My work will take me to the (south) Airport area, on Milam Dairy road (NW 72nd ave and NW 7th st)
Google maps tell me it is a 5 mile drive.
If I use local roads, is a 30-40 minute commute reasonable to assume.
Any comments/opinions/suggestions for me, please chime in.
I will be there in April and looking to rent starting Mid May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Ahhhhhh and I was thinking your airport area was the LeJeune main airport.

Many "investors" bought pre-construction at much, much lower than what finished products are being priced at. Given the slowdown in sales, especially condos, because there are so many of them, it is preferable to rent, maybe even at a loss for some. At least they're getting something back. Or maybe it is not as good a deal as it looks on paper.

Getting to Milam Dairy, all depends on your schedule. I can't contribute with specific directions from Dadeland area.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Dadeland isn't such a great area, not much to do there. The good thing is that crime there isn't bad, and there is the "metrorail" nearby. To understand the prices you need to know that 7 years ago rents were 1/2 what they are now, and you could buy a condo for under 80,000 easily. If you can tolerate living in an apartment/condo you may get a good deal there, but even 1,800 seems like a lot to spend unless you make 50,000+ a year. Oh and for a 300,000 condo the owner pays 6,000 in taxes a year if he doesn't live there. This is an expense many forget about.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM

98 posts, read 531,805 times
Quote:
I see that they are having a fire sale.
2b/2ba apts in the Toscano and Metropolis are being listed for $1650.00
You could go a few blocks to a few miles west on Kendall Drive and get the same for about $400-$500 less per month rental.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 AM

I don't use the Metrorail as it doesn't help me out any against traffic but I don't think it's an option for the poster if he needs to get to Milam & NW 7th. There's no route on the train for that area, is there?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
f I use local roads, is a 30-40 minute commute reasonable to assume.
The local roads are worse than using the highways.

You might want to consider places closer to the are you'll be working in.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,405 times
I will definitely have a car, you cannot do without one in Miami.
My personal perference is condo living and the higher the better.
I am okay with the rent, I love the fact that you can walk to shops, restaurants in the evening. This is the most important feature to me.
I would sacrifice living in a larger home for this
I do know during a hurricane the elevators and hallway lights work off a generator and I was told that the impact resistant windows do protect you even at higher levels. Is that true.
I plan to rent for the first year till I am well acquainted with all the facts.
I am looking forward to Miami despite all the negative comments.
There are many worse places than Miami, I just dont want to rant.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 AM

You know I'm originally from NY and always lived in a apartment building. When I moved to Miami, I went to a condo building. Since then, I'm on my third house and the bigger the house and yard, the more pets I end up with. I'd love to go back to a apartment but it would not possible now with my extended four legged family and I won't give them up.

So I understand perfectly about preferring a condo. I would still go towards the Gables vs Dadeland and you would be going against traffic to work then.

Impact windows? Don't believe it. They can only protect you so much. Brickell was one of the worst hit areas during Katrina and Wilma and those were Cat 1 storms.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I love the fact that you can walk to shops, restaurants in the evening. This is the most important feature to me.
Dadeland doesn't offer much in the way of shops and restaurants. And as for walking, what time of year do you plan do be out walking? If it's the summer, you might reconsider the walking when the temp is 95 with 75% humidity.

Miami is not a pedestrian friendly town.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Individuhal -
OK you're set on moving to Miami and there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, I'm certainly not going to be the one to try to change your mind. I'm one of the happy campers here and I don't go baulking at every little incident.
I think you have your areas narrowed down and your likes and dislikes pretty well figured out. It won't take too long to decide which area you prefer. You'll see the pros and cons right away.

Do you have a couple of days to dedicate to the on-site search before your move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami