Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32fordfan View Post
So when I look at places in Toscano, and mapquest it and it says 27 minutes, that not to accurate, huh. If I wanted to live on the ocean, where would be a good place to live with the shortest commute time to Homestead AFB? Thanks
nowhere. Probably key largo is closer than Miami beach but the commute is very unpredictable, if there is an accident or construction, the road could be closed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32fordfan View Post
So when I look at places in Toscano, and mapquest it and it says 27 minutes, that not to accurate, huh. If I wanted to live on the ocean, where would be a good place to live with the shortest commute time to Homestead AFB? Thanks
If you want a place where you can walk out and put your feet in the sand in minutes, then you are looking at South Beach and Key Biscayne 45 minutes commute without traffic. There are other places where you can live on the water but there is no beach to walk on. Places just south of the Grove down by Edgewater Dr., Brickell, between Brickell, Deering Bay and Coconut Grove are some condos that overlook the water. Some of these that I recommended are expensive, so not sure what your budget is.

The other thought is to live in Key Largo, with a 30 minute commute.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Key Largo is about a half-hour from Homstead AFB. If there's an accident on US1 (and, unless one has just happened, the emergency warning signage before you enter the "18-Mile Stretch" of road through the swamplands between Florida City and Key Largo will tell you about the traffic conditions), you can always take Card Sound Road as an alternate route. It takes about 5 minutes longer, but has much less traffic than US1.

Commuting on US1 can be unpredictable as Princess has said, but traffic jams are usually worst during the beginning and end of holiday weekends, especially during the winter and spring (tourist season). At those times, you can just take Card Sound Road. I've lost count of the number of times I have driven between Miami and the Keys, and if there's the possibility of a traffic jam, I just avoid US1, and have never ever hit traffic on Card Sound Road. Going that way, it's a pretty consistent 35-minute commute to the base if you wish to live in Key Largo.

It's interesting that Princess and flyers29 think it would take 40-45 minutes to get from Dadeland to the base. I know of someone who used to commute from Killian Drive near 874 and it only took him about 20 minutes to get to the base. This was 10+ years ago, though, so perhaps traffic is a little worse?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:12 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
It's interesting that Princess and flyers29 think it would take 40-45 minutes to get from Dadeland to the base. I know of someone who used to commute from Killian Drive near 874 and it only took him about 20 minutes to get to the base. This was 10+ years ago, though, so perhaps traffic is a little worse?
From Downtown Dadeland to the base entrance it probably 30 minutes using the 874 and the Turnpike.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Key Largo is about a half-hour from Homstead AFB. If there's an accident on US1 (and, unless one has just happened, the emergency warning signage before you enter the "18-Mile Stretch" of road through the swamplands between Florida City and Key Largo will tell you about the traffic conditions), you can always take Card Sound Road as an alternate route. It takes about 5 minutes longer, but has much less traffic than US1.

Commuting on US1 can be unpredictable as Princess has said, but traffic jams are usually worst during the beginning and end of holiday weekends, especially during the winter and spring (tourist season). At those times, you can just take Card Sound Road. I've lost count of the number of times I have driven between Miami and the Keys, and if there's the possibility of a traffic jam, I just avoid US1, and have never ever hit traffic on Card Sound Road. Going that way, it's a pretty consistent 35-minute commute to the base if you wish to live in Key Largo.

Yes, I was being rather conservative in my estimate so it may be actually shorter than that. Way I see it if they're expecting a 45 minute drive and it only takes 30, doesn't that make the trip seem quick?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,987 times
So a 40 minute commute is out. Where would be a good place to live that would be less than 30 minute commute to Homestead Air Reserve Base, anything at the beach, or is there even a beach within that distance?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
There's really no beach to speak of between Key Biscayne and Key Largo. OK, there is Matheson Hammock park, but that's still >30 minutes from the base. Your best bets are probably: Saga Bay, Lakes by the Bay, Cutler Bay (suburban), or the Redlands (ranch style).

If you want to get out and enjoy the water, your best bet is probably to get a boat and go out of Black Point marina, otherwise it's a long drive

Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Everyone thinks when they move to Miami that they will be 5 minutes to a beach...

Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM

163 posts, read 316,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Everyone thinks when they move to Miami that they will be 5 minutes to a beach...
If you spend any amount of time living inland...or 2 hours+ from the beach anywhere in miami can be considered close. All depends on perspective...

Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
If you spend any amount of time living inland...or 2 hours+ from the beach anywhere in miami can be considered close. All depends on perspective...
Heck, you won't even find too many beaches along the Gulf Coast between Clearwater and Panama City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami