Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 PM

13 posts, read 41,240 times

Advertisements

I know, the subject of traffic has been beaten to death. After reading about the driving conditions, I've even decided to not bring my car down to Miami if we are able to find a rental near Metrorail/MetroMover.

However, my husband will be doing a short rotation at Miami Children's Hospital. I want to make sure that if we are able to find an apartment in the Brickell/downtown area, it wouldn't mean that he would have a terrible commute.

It sounds like he is going against the traffic (heading west in the morning), but can anyone give me an approximate traveling time? Google has it as 9 miles and about 20 minutes, but firsthand accounts would help. Are there any roads to avoid?

Also (since you've read this far ), does anyone have any recommendations for short term rental options? I really do want to live in that area (simply because then I don't have to bring a car), but am running up against a wall with requesting a four month lease and Craigslist isn't too much help yet. We would like to stay at about 1500/month for a studio or 1-bedroom.

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 PM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
It depends on the time of day that he would be going in to the hospital. If he's going in at 3am on wednesday, yeah..traffic is gonna be a breeze (about 15-20 minutes.)

Otherwise, it's gonna be a good 30-40 minutes. The way I would go is to take Brickell down to Coral Way and head west on Coral Way and hang a left on 62 ave. He'd be going thru Coral Gables which can get heavy traffic in either direction during the day.

YOU WILL NEED A CAR OUT HERE EVEN IF YOU LIVE ON BRICKELL (AT LEAST IF YOU WANT TO BE A FUNCTIONING MEMBER OF SOCIETY). The Metrorail only will take you to Dadeland, Coconut Grove and Downtown and that's it as far as desireable places go. Other than that, it's gonna dump you in a poorer, less desireable neighborhood. Do yourself a favor and bring your car...

Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
YOU WILL NEED A CAR OUT HERE EVEN IF YOU LIVE ON BRICKELL (AT LEAST IF YOU WANT TO BE A FUNCTIONING MEMBER OF SOCIETY). The Metrorail only will take you to Dadeland, Coconut Grove and Downtown and that's it as far as desireable places go. Other than that, it's gonna dump you in a poorer, less desireable neighborhood. Do yourself a favor and bring your car...
Hi, thanks for the info on the driving times. Twenty minutes sounded a little too good to be true. And yes, I know a car is probably indispensable, but I HATE, HATE, HATE driving in traffic. With the higher insurance, extra parking fees for the second car, and the fact that my car really is ready for the scrap heap, I'm going to take my chances without a car. If nothing else, I'll learn to be resourceful for those few months. So, in another few months, you'll probably drive by poor pedstrian me dodging traffic and think "she really should have taken my advice"

Last edited by dsvalpo; 02-06-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvalpo View Post
Hi, thanks for the info on the driving times. Twenty minutes sounded a little too good to be true. And yes, I know a car is probably indispensable, but I HATE, HATE, HATE driving in traffic. With the higher insurance, extra parking fees for the second car, and the fact that my car really is ready for the scrap heap, I'm going to take my chances without a car. If nothing else, I'll learn to be resourceful for those few months. So, in another few months, you'll probably driving by poor pedstrian me dodging traffic and will think "she really should have taken my advice"
If you hate to drive in traffic then you're not going to be happy in Miami. It will be a real challenge to get around, unless you can afford cab to take you everywhere.

I think you'd be a lot happier in South Beach, where you actually can function without a car if you don't have to commute far.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't have a choice with moving to Miami...and it will only be for the summer. The reason I'm hoping for Brickell is I would like to take a class or two at the Miami-Dade Wolfson campus (sp?) to fill up my time. They seem to have the cheapest tuition per credit hour for out-of-staters.

South Beach sounds nice, but I live a very quiet life. Give me a library, a treadmill and an internet connection, and I can be perfectly happy for months. That said, on weekends, my husband will have to chauffeur me around the area so we can see the major attractions.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,540 times
I live on West Ave. in South Beach, on the Bay, where I can see the high rises of Brickell. It's quite quiet, nothing like the party side near the ocean. The S and M busses (don't ask me who named them) run frequently (by Miami standards), 24/7, to downtown Miami. There's also a branch library on 22nd St., although the main branch is downtown.

Anyway, I'm sure Brickell will be fine for the months you'll be here. I'm just throwing another idea out there. (Plus having to drive across the causway everyday would be less convenient for your husband.)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM

140 posts, read 508,234 times
I live on Brickell, and regularly do the commute to downtown C. Gables (closer than Miami Children's) in 20 minutes. So 30 minutes sounds about right. If your husband works "normal" hours, he will be going against Coral Way traffic not with it, which is a big plus.

One car will probably work OK for you. Brickell now has two supermarkets, drugstores and normal conveniences within walking distances of most of the condos north of 15th rd. Ten years ago that was not the case, and you had to drive to the nearest supermarket. The free peoplemover will shuttle you around brickell/downtown including the MD College.

I would suggest that you not rent south of 15th road, because you would probably need to drive not walk to the nearest supermarket/metromover.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
A nice renting community in Brickell is 1550 Brickell Avenue. A one bedroom runs for around $1400. A two bedroom is $1600+. I lived there a few years ago and I loved it. It is pretty quiet, with a nice pool and gym. The parking lot is gated and there is a security guard during the night.

Regarding the commute, you will be going againts traffice from downtown out West. Avoid Eight Street, Coral Way or Bird Road are better. It shouldn't take him more than half hour with no traffic.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 AM

488 posts, read 1,024,558 times
Default just dont use the pool there

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
A nice renting community in Brickell is 1550 Brickell Avenue. A one bedroom runs for around $1400. A two bedroom is $1600+. I lived there a few years ago and I loved it. It is pretty quiet, with a nice pool and gym. The parking lot is gated and there is a security guard during the night.

Regarding the commute, you will be going againts traffice from downtown out West. Avoid Eight Street, Coral Way or Bird Road are better. It shouldn't take him more than half hour with no traffic.
i would stay out of the pool and keep an eye on my children i heard a few years back there was a lot of pretaders there! but i guess theres ill minded people no matter wher you go!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Takes me about 35-40 mins to get from my place on brickell to U of Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami