Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM

16 posts, read 80,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo7221 View Post
Anson's Fish/ What used to be the Kendale Lakes mall with an open-aired walk throuh feel with elevator music (Sentry Drugs, Popeyes, Waldenbooks, Mr Deli-Tizer, Luria's, a sheet music store, Stride Rite, the Juice Tree (I believe Colombian owned, moved to Miller Square...truthfully the mall was a lot like Miller Square except much cleaner)/ Andy's Sir Dolphin, Wag's (in the strip mall on 117 ave rd., where Ale House is), Anthony's Pizza (moved to Downtown Miami...near family court building), Pantry Pride and Lum's at the Winston park shopping plaza (when I was coming up in Kendale Lakes that was the closest Mobil, with a station attendant) Many younger attorneys used to live over there....and my folks were friendly with almost all the neighbors. Grew up near the elementary school, there's a loop-around road on the north side where people get lost (because it's U-shaped and dumps you back on 142 ave...) Still is very nice.....some petty thefts here and there but overall a clean feel..and the block behind there (sw 146 ct) is exclusively tree lined (albeit with olive trees whose runoff will sure enough cake onto your car)

Oh, yes...the Taco Viva (earlier on), Peaches, and Haagen Dazs in that mini-strip mall across from Kendale Lakes Plaza where the Dunkin Donuts still is, where Blockbuster Video is now was a Lindsley Lumber (predecessor to Home Depot), a nice Winn-Dixie where Dandy Bear is now.
i remember most of those as well! what i would give for pictures of these places as they were back then. i remember going to riverboat playhouse for my birthdays and i used to bowl every saturday at don carters. what was the name of the roller skating rink in kendall, i used to go there too (i still remember the lay-out of the place as clear as day) there was a place called "tibachniks" (sp) in a mini-mall near my old house, it was where my family would get our cold-cuts. i remember the guy barely had any teeth =P. anyone know if the crossings shopping center is still there? going to "k-land" was also one of my fondest memories. also, anyone remember this?...

YouTube - WCIX News Open November 1986
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshnut View Post
i remember most of those as well! what i would give for pictures of these places as they were back then. i remember going to riverboat playhouse for my birthdays and i used to bowl every saturday at don carters. what was the name of the roller skating rink in kendall, i used to go there too (i still remember the lay-out of the place as clear as day) there was a place called "tibachniks" (sp) in a mini-mall near my old house, it was where my family would get our cold-cuts. i remember the guy barely had any teeth =P. anyone know if the crossings shopping center is still there? going to "k-land" was also one of my fondest memories. also, anyone remember this?...

YouTube - WCIX News Open November 1986
There is now a Walgreen's (or CVS can't remember) where Don Carter's used to be and a huge shopping center half-way under construction in that whole corner.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,452 times
Default I like Doral

I have family in Doral and their daughter goes to FIU. It isn't too far and it seems to be a decent place to live.
Check it out.
If you decided what you wanted was to go to FIU, then you knew that you were going to be in Miami and must already know the basics about it. These posts about Miami and Latin people can't possibly be of much help.
My opinion about Miami is that I think you have to be from there to want to stay there. If a tropical climate is what someone wants, there are much nicer places (and cheaper too) where you can live instead. But, it is an interesting experience, and I think that someone can stand it for a few years while they are going to college.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 AM

176 posts, read 647,076 times
I don't remember that..remember a Carmine's though...the "place to go" for bagels was the joint on 107 ave situated on a parking lot walkway that no longer exists...it was also occupied for many years by baskin robbins...and the pizza place which left you crazing for more belly-bursting slices was Anthony's...whose son apparently relocated to the storefront space two down from the courthouse center in downtown...better than Vesuvio's (though I enjoy watching my paisano the transplant from Bronx hock the chinek) and yes better than my late father's mecca, ye ole Mike's. It is now Di Papa's....of which my last experience left little to be desired..but that's the status quo in Kendall these days (exception to the rule pollo a la brasa). I tend to go off in tangents when compelled to remember the neighborhood I had grown up in...since the variations in "now and then" register steep..and I'm being kind. You must be thinking of Mr Deli-Tizer..and the only reason I say this is because if by off-chance my family engages in reminiscing (talking like human beings, I'm afraid, is even more of an off-chance) my brother always chimes in with the boogey-man at the deli that used to peer over the deli case with a demonic glare, making him wonder if perhaps he'd have saliva instead of pesto on top of his prosciutto. But Carmine's was wonderful, and so was Wag's Charlie Chicken.... Kendall was immaculate up until 1985-86 but one thing it was always was and always will be is boring..."yes, Solange..let's engage in an adventurous outing and put all the other hipsters in Bushwick to shame...let's go nosh on a cinnamon twist and a vienna cooler at Joffrey's"

Admittingly I do like that place but if and when I go it's just for coffee....and they let me sit inside with the to-go small cup, which is cheaper.

WCIX had Diff'rent Strokes and Sanford & Son and Benson. One of my favorite movies, Paper Moon, was shown religiously on that channel. I do find Hialeah used car infomercials very entertaining.....

But what Miami has that no other city in So Florida will ever have is Blue Note Records...

Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 29,898 times
Default A Different View From Current Kendall Resident

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade here, but I currently live in West Kendall and it's nowhere near as bad as some of the prior posts suggest. Has it changed? Sure. But does anyone expect things to stay the same (i.e., the way they want it to be)? Maybe if Don Carter wouldn't have caved in to pressure to sell for a nice hefty profit, they wouldn't have sold the bowling alley. The tomato/strawberry field on the corner of SW 137 Ave and SW 120 Street? Same.

I also sense an anti-South American bias, which in the end comes down to personal prejuedice and little else. I'm Cuban-American, so no one can accuse me of being biased in favor of South Americans, but my experience with my neighbors of different nationalities, including South America, has been quite favorable. If you live in the Miami area, you must be open to dealing with people different than you, plain and simple.

I live in The Crossings, and it's an established neighborhood about 30 years old which I would easily stack up with any neighborhood in South Florida as far as cleanliness, attractive homes and tree-lined streets, top notch schools (something you won't find near downtown) without the pretense found in hoity-toity areas such as Pinecrest and Coral Gables.

Actually, the recent string of shopping centers being built in West Kendall will dramatically improve the diversity of shopping and dining, something long overdue for this area.

Advice from a life-long Miami resident regarding Kendall? Leave any preconceived notions and/or prejudices behind. It's a mixed area which is mostly pan-Hispanic, with a significant long time "Anglo" population. It's crowded and there's traffic (surprise, surprise it's South Florida, people), but the crime is mostly low. Just like any other area, the quality of individual neighborhoods can vary, but I find that other than The Crossings, neighborhoods such as Sabal Chase, DevonAire, Kendale Lakes and The Hammocks are clean and most definitely liveable.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:02 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
I'm also in West Kendall and Cuban-American, I'm definitely not prejudice in any way, I believe people can suck or be super friendly from any race or ethnicity,it just seems to me that Miami has a tendency to attract jerks and turn nice people and make them rude,egoistic A-Holes.Until I started traveling I had no idea how different it is when you get out of here.The best I can say about Miami is that it's not the worst place to live if you can ignore a lot of the negatives which FAR outweigh the positives.I'm here due to family,but the first chance to go to North Florida or North Georgia,I'm out!!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Actually you should know that Don Carter did not own the bowling alley, but three other people did. The only part of the bowling alley still left in south Florida are lanes 35 and 36 which I purchased for my home. I can still remember going to the corner of 137 and Kendall as a kid in the mid-70's for disco skating at Hot Wheels and bowling at Don Carter's. My parents would go to Kmart and Lurias in that Kendale shopping center, Kendall SW 137 ave. It's unique design was destroyed in the last remodel except for Kmart which hasn't changed much at all.

For those who like West Kendall good for you. But it has become overpriced, and has had traffic issues due to it's "isolated tract" layouts and extremely poor 70's style asymetric roads. The ugly, 80's and 90's style homes combined with a significant third world element leaves a lot to be desired. It's sort of like southern California with Florida heat and humidity. The only significant north-south expressway in Kendall is the Turnpike and you will have a LONG line of cars to the only on and off-ramps at Kendall and 124 st. Kendale Lakes was among the last decent developments, along with Devon-Aire and after that it's all garbage. The best part of "kendall" is between Bird Road and 104St, Turnpike to 127Ave. SOme wonderful homes there but all at least 2 times overpriced.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 29,898 times
Tallrick...different strokes for different folks, I guess. It's just frustrating to hear the term "third-world" being thrown around to refer to people from Latin America. I don't know if you've ever been to a real third-world country, but I can assure you whatever "significant third-world element" you are referring to pales in comparison to the real thing. Oh and BTW, my drive from FIU to Killian Drive/SW 127 Ave (7 miles) at 5 PM takes me about 15-20 minutes via the Turnpike and Kendall Drive exit. Not all that bad, considering South Florida traffic.

doom1001...never heard of a place turning nice people into jerks. You're either a jerk or a nice person regardless of location. Anything else is just an excuse.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade here, but I currently live in West Kendall and it's nowhere near as bad as some of the prior posts suggest. Has it changed? Sure. But does anyone expect things to stay the same (i.e., the way they want it to be)? Maybe if Don Carter wouldn't have caved in to pressure to sell for a nice hefty profit, they wouldn't have sold the bowling alley. The tomato/strawberry field on the corner of SW 137 Ave and SW 120 Street? Same.

I also sense an anti-South American bias, which in the end comes down to personal prejuedice and little else. I'm Cuban-American, so no one can accuse me of being biased in favor of South Americans, but my experience with my neighbors of different nationalities, including South America, has been quite favorable. If you live in the Miami area, you must be open to dealing with people different than you, plain and simple.

I live in The Crossings, and it's an established neighborhood about 30 years old which I would easily stack up with any neighborhood in South Florida as far as cleanliness, attractive homes and tree-lined streets, top notch schools (something you won't find near downtown) without the pretense found in hoity-toity areas such as Pinecrest and Coral Gables.

Actually, the recent string of shopping centers being built in West Kendall will dramatically improve the diversity of shopping and dining, something long overdue for this area.

Advice from a life-long Miami resident regarding Kendall? Leave any preconceived notions and/or prejudices behind. It's a mixed area which is mostly pan-Hispanic, with a significant long time "Anglo" population. It's crowded and there's traffic (surprise, surprise it's South Florida, people), but the crime is mostly low. Just like any other area, the quality of individual neighborhoods can vary, but I find that other than The Crossings, neighborhoods such as Sabal Chase, DevonAire, Kendale Lakes and The Hammocks are clean and most definitely liveable.

Oh Finally! Some good wholesome comments.

The Crossings IS nice BTW.

I'm Cuban also, and American.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,179 times
Default Kendal Gated Community

I have to report this I leave in Kendall, Miami in a gated community of brand new homes, my 2 cars where vandalized twice in my driveway, I called the police and they gave me a report number by phone, 2 windows broken and the did not took the time to check anything, the jus did not show.
This is just business… they give you a Report #, to activate your insurance and case closed.
This is why the teens (usually neighbors) keep doing’ it. The police have just created this part time job for them. Then when you ask why the do not show to investigate the crime, the will tell you that the are dealing with murders and other crimes, off course committed by the same teens with too much time on the Driveway’s part-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami