Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,977,215 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Florida next year. Looks like South Beach is my # 1 option at this point. Looking for anyone who lives in the area who can give me some apt options, so i can look into them and take a trip down there to check them out, etc.

Thanks,

G Rizzle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 AM

710 posts, read 2,235,882 times
I don't know of anything specific (Craigslist is your friend here), but if you were MY kid, I'd suggest looking mostly (not only) either south of 5th OR just north of 17th, especially on the west side of the island (bay views vs ocean views).
I have a few friends/relatives that live around there and it's a really nice little pocket, easy access to I95 and still walkable to Lincoln Road.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:12 PM

294 posts, read 1,150,239 times
I concur with Planetsurf - but rent in those areas can range from pricey to very pricey! Can you tell us more what you are looking for and how much you want to spend?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
I don't know of anything specific (Craigslist is your friend here), but if you were MY kid, I'd suggest looking mostly (not only) either south of 5th OR just north of 17th, especially on the west side of the island (bay views vs ocean views).
I have a few friends/relatives that live around there and it's a really nice little pocket, easy access to I95 and still walkable to Lincoln Road.

Good luck.
I'm just curious why you recommend those areas south of 5th or north of 17th b/c I was considering SoBe too? Is it not a good area between 5th and 17th? Crime? Loud?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,977,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
I concur with Planetsurf - but rent in those areas can range from pricey to very pricey! Can you tell us more what you are looking for and how much you want to spend?
I was wondering the same question that San Diego guy asked above....

But anways, i'm looking for a new adventure and want to move into a place around the action. Will only move to south beach if i have my friend (roommate) come with me because i know its pricey. Have seen most 2 bdrooms in the area from 1000-2000. That is acceptable if we like the place. I know south beach isnt cheap, i'm not going there to save money, im going to enjoy the weather, atmosphere, etc.

G Man

Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 PM

294 posts, read 1,150,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm just curious why you recommend those areas south of 5th or north of 17th b/c I was considering SoBe too? Is it not a good area between 5th and 17th? Crime? Loud?
Anything east of Washington is going to be loud and touristy. Not a good area to live if you like peace and quiet after work.

Anything north of 5th up to 9th or 10th can be seedy with spotted crime.

Anything within Alton and Washington, and 10th and 16th is good, but you won't have a view and apartment space can be very cramped. Many one bedrooms in this area are under 700 square feet. Most apartments in this area are affordable, but are in older buildings (i.e., art deco) and can be hit and miss with plumbing, cockroaches, leaking A/C units, property managers, etc.

You mostly can't go wrong south of fifth or west of Alton north of 15th, but you'll pay dearly for a good place since everyone wants to live there. I'm guessing a 1/1 with a view willl cost you at least $2,000 per month.

South Beach is a great place to live for one year or so, but gets old after a while. Been there, done that.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,649,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
Anything within Alton and Washington, and 10th and 16th is good, but you won't have a view and apartment space can be very cramped. Many one bedrooms in this area are under 700 square feet. Most apartments in this area are affordable, but are in older buildings (i.e., art deco) and can be hit and miss with plumbing, cockroaches, leaking A/C units, property managers, etc.
Not to mention that parking for these older buildings is on the street, and is scarce on the weekends and at night.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:37 PM

710 posts, read 2,235,882 times
^^^
What they said.
West Ave is ok too even though it's in between 5th & 17th.

I don't want to give the impression that anything between there is bad, like LiT said, it's just more hit and miss and crowded (and yes, usually cheaper).

You'll need to see for yourself. Depends what you're looking for too.

Example on West:
$1174 / 1br - Fabulous 1 Bedroom, Full bayview, A/C, water and cable included. (9th and west)
Mod deleted Fabulous 1 Bedroom, Full bayview, A/C, water and cable included.[/url]

I always suggest people look at North Beach -- 30 blocks north of the heart of SoBe, cheaper, quieter and easy access on/off the island (for working).

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-26-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM

55 posts, read 243,841 times
I live on collins ave (5700 block) which is about 2miles north of SoBe or a 10min bus ride down to sobe for $1.50 or a $12 cab ride. I pay $1875 for a 2/2 right on the ocean with ocean views from all windows...marble floors, granite counters ect. The place is worth around 350k if someone was to purchase it. Utilities are included in this price as is 2 parking spaces in the underground garage.

Found my place on craigslist for rent by owner in February. If you use a realtor, expect to pay a hundred or 2 more per month. This is a renters market so there will be a TON of places. I moved down here from Virginia upon graduating from engineering school.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 29,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Relocating to Florida next year. Looks like South Beach is my # 1 option at this point. Looking for anyone who lives in the area who can give me some apt options, so i can look into them and take a trip down there to check them out, etc.

Thanks,

G Rizzle
I guess I couldn't share my personal experience because Sunrico90 said I was advertising. Sorry, gman5431. I love Miami Beach. I live in Kendall now but I was raised on Miami Beach. I went to North Beach Elementary, Nautilus Jr. High and Miami Beach Sr. High School. If there was a University on the Beach...you guessed it... I would have gone there as well. I read what you were looking for and since I spent the weekend at that particular place...I thought it would be perfect for you. I still have gutt feeling that it would. However, I did mention my sister and her units so I guess I could understand Sunrico90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami