Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,769 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Miami the first of December to take a job in South Miami (right by the Shops at Sunset Place). I'm a young (23) female who likes nightlife and living in an area with LOTS going on and lots to WALK to. I think I've discovered that Miami Beach might be my best bet. I've found an apartment just off Washington and Espanola Way that seems great. Can anyone help me answer a couple questions I might have before I take this place unseen?

1) Will the commute from Miami Beach to South Miami be horrible every day? I believe I'd be taking Highway 1 most of the way.

2) Is the Washington Ave / Espanola Way area relatively safe for me (and my car, which would be parked on the street)?

Thank you to anyone who can help or suggest any areas that might be better! It is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 AM

13 posts, read 76,317 times
Hello,

That area is safe. Its right in the middle of everything in South Beach. I used to live near there and still visit regularly. Its like any big city. If you have basic common sense you should be fine. I'm not totally sure about the commute but I seriously doubt that it would be a problem. Be careful on this site though. There seem to be alot of negative people who just like to vent and spout negativity. Trust your gut. You'll be fine. Especially cause you already have a job before going and a place in the coolest area.
Good luck!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
It may be worth investigating bus service from your section of Miami Beach to downtown then, from there, the metrorail to South Miami. There's a small chance that it may work out.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
The area that you will be working in is actually a pretty cool area with bars and restaurants and such nearby (it is super close to UM, the Gables, and Coconut Grove, afterall). I used to live in South Miami just south of Sunset Place off of Red Rd in an older condo with wood floors, a pool and plenty of off-street parking. I actually really loved living there because there are things to walk to, and the Grove and Gables were a short drive away, not to mention South Beach wasn't too bad of a drive when I wanted to go there. I was 23-25 when I lived there and I'm a female - it is a safe area. I had one roommate while I lived there who moved from Miami Beach because after she was living there for a while, she decided it wasn't for her and wanted to be closer to work (Merrick Park in the Gables). I was born and raised in Miami, and I personally jumped at any chance I got to live in a cool area that was super close to my job. The less driving I had to do on a daily basis the better!

I'm not harping on the beach because there are some people who really like living there, but I worked with two other women in their mid-twenties who moved there thinking life would be one way, and it ended up not being what they expected. One mentioned the "vacation effect" and how awesome South Beach seemed while she was visiting, but once she lived there, she noticed how dirty and congested it was in daily life. Just some thoughts about really thinking beyond the glamours idea of living on the beach and boiling it down to your day to day life.

If you are really worried about your car and you would have to park on the street, I would really seriously consider that. Street parking in South Beach can be a real pain, especially on weekends, holidays, at night, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM

546 posts, read 2,148,246 times
Traffic wise you're going to be GOLDEN because you're going to be going in the opposite direction as everyone is heading east to go to work. You're heading west/south so you'll be chillin'. South Miami is nice because like other posters said, it's very pedestrian friendly and it's close to alot.

The beach is a blast and a lot of fun. The only negative is that it can be a lil grimy but you'll make friends quick since you live out there. Parking won't be that bad on the street if they give you a residential parking zone sticker since after 5 or 6 pm the only people that can park there are residents. And on the weekends 24 hrs so people visiting have to pay for the parking.

Hope you have a great time and welcome to the 305!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,701 times
I Think being the age you are you will have fun , be carefull it can be grimmy during those late hours of night. I moved to Miami from NJ been here 6yrs. But never lived on the beach but its fun!! for while until...................

Old 11-10-2007, 12:26 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,923 times
As mentioned before, the communte is large on distance, but good in time because your going the opposite way from the rest of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami