Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 PM

772 posts, read 1,141,723 times

Advertisements

I went to Subway today. The sub was $6. I had to pay $6.47 even though I got it to go? Is there a fast food tax? If so, why did I pay more than 6%? Also, had I dined in, would I have had to pay a dining room tax.

BTW: The sub was not hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I went to Subway today. The sub was $6. I had to pay $6.47 even though I got it to go? Is there a fast food tax? If so, why did I pay more than 6%? Also, had I dined in, would I have had to pay a dining room tax.

BTW: The sub was not hot.
First of all, the sales tax in Miami is 7%, not 6%. But more to your point, prepared foods are a taxable item. It doesn't matter if you dine in or carry out. And it wouldn't matter if you bought the sub at Subway or at a Publix deli counter. If they put the ingredients together for you, then it's a prepared item and it is fully taxable.

Is this the first time you've ever eaten fast food or gone to any type of restaurant before?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Is this the first time you've ever eaten fast food or gone to any type of restaurant before?
Shocking the questions asked on here...a 5 second google search would reveal the sales tax in Miami-Dade.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Well some people don't know what is taxable and what isn't.
Food in Florida usually isn't taxed unless it's prepared such as a sub or a rotisserie chicken from Publix.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well some people don't know what is taxable and what isn't.
Food in Florida usually isn't taxed unless it's prepared such as a sub or a rotisserie chicken from Publix.
As you say, food in a grocery store isn't usually taxed unless it's prepared, so that can be confusing to some. But, come on now, who doesn't know that sales tax is applied at restaurants, including fast food establishments?

Old 01-11-2018, 03:55 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
But, come on now, who doesn't know that sales tax is applied at restaurants, including fast food establishments?
Exactly, no one is talking about milk at Publix. You go to any food business and there is tax, any retail store, etc.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
seems you paid 8% taxes. Sub was 5.99+ 48 cents taxes = 6.47

6% FL sales taxes
1% Miami Dade County sales taxes

the other 1% could be Homeless and Domestic Violence Tax ¿did the place sell alcohol?
Miami-Dade County - Tax Collector - Tourist and Convention Development Taxes

Old 01-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
First of all, the sales tax in Miami is 7%, not 6%. But more to your point, prepared foods are a taxable item. It doesn't matter if you dine in or carry out. And it wouldn't matter if you bought the sub at Subway or at a Publix deli counter. If they put the ingredients together for you, then it's a prepared item and it is fully taxable.

Yes, I had eaten out before, including at fast food restaurants.

Maybe in Maryland they had a "prepared foods" tax. I don't recall.

I don't recall there having been one in California. In California, if I recall correctly, they had a hot foods tax. Thus, if you got a tuna sub and it wasn't toasted, you didn't have to pay tax. By contrast, if you got a tuna sub and had it toasted (tuna melt), you had to pay tax.

Nor do I recall there having been one in Ohio. I don't recall having paid tax on any food items in Ohio, even if they were prepared.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Exactly, no one is talking about milk at Publix. You go to any food business and there is tax, any retail store, etc.
I'm not from Florida, Marc. I don't recall having paid such a tax in California and Ohio.

California can get a little tricky because, as you can imagine, taxes abound. But, to use Subway as the example, I don't recall every having paid a tax on a sub that I didn't have toasted.

In Ohio, I don't recall every having paid taxes on any kind of food in Ohio. IIRC, if you went to a fast food restaurant and ordered your food to go, you didn't have to pay taxes. There was, however, a dine-in tax. There was also a beverage tax (at least on certain types of beverages).

Old 01-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
seems you paid 8% taxes. Sub was 5.99+ 48 cents taxes = 6.47

6% FL sales taxes
1% Miami Dade County sales taxes

the other 1% could be Homeless and Domestic Violence Tax ¿did the place sell alcohol?
Miami-Dade County - Tax Collector - Tourist and Convention Development Taxes
They are apparently charging a 2% tax on fast food in Miami-Dade County. This was the winning post. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: