Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 PM

12 posts, read 33,213 times

Advertisements

Ok really last one....

Historical Newspapers online: Miami News ( FREE)

Google News Archive Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Max, you brought up long forgotten memories for me, some a vaguely remembered. I don't think we were here when miller had a canal in the middle, but it did end at 117th and the uproar when they opened it up further west.

I remember seeing movies at tropical drive in, and the flea markets during the day.

There was tropical skating rink on 87th and bird that we would spend every Saturday on, they also had a little disco inside there too.

Geez how time flies and how so many things change.
Spent many weekends in that skating rink/disco Cubanchic.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tara440 View Post
It's nice to see this thread gets a hit every so often. When I get an email notification, and log in, I end up reading different pages and going "oh yeah, I remember that, and that, and Oh, I did that too"
Makes me wonder if I have crossed paths with any of the peeps here that ran around the Westchester/Bird Road area during the 60's-early 80's...
Thanks every one for posting memories. Its nice to dream again of our beautiful city from the past.
I had an orange 1979 Trans Am with centerline autodrag wheels. The color was special ordered by a UM alumni. Similar to Hugger Orange as used in the Z28. I frequented the Bird Road and Galloway area. I still recall the fast street cars from era. Miami Herald did a bit about street racing in the early 1980s. The area to race was Coral Reef just west of 137avenue. A few years later it moved to the still uncompleted warehouse section north of International Mall towards 41street east of the Turnpike.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:32 PM

46 posts, read 113,676 times
Do we have in the forum a Miamian who was born in Mia before WW2 & lived there all his life ..? He could be ...the Dean...

Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM

253 posts, read 434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxfromMiami View Post
Ok, last one...Here's a Tourist Miami 1955 video on Youtube.
Some great shots of Miracle Mile and sites...
From the same year, here's a 1955 video of the University of Miami campus that I found in my parents' home movies and uploaded to YouTube 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUHcZAquPn0

Old 12-24-2013, 07:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
My mom was a student at UM in 1956. Amazing how good the campus looked back then, and suntan U was very affordable! The only drawbacks were the lack of air conditioning and the roaches that flew in at night. My mom was afraid of roaches and could not sit next to the windows or doors as a result. I was also taken to class when she was there to renew her teaching certificate and I was only a toddler. The interiors of the buildings were still mostly original until the 1980's when remodeling destroyed them. Just like almost everywhere in the Miami area, they downgrade over time.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,216 times
Thumbs up It is nice to remember things from the past!!!

I remember the following:

The Pizza Palace 1960's at 3099 SW 8th Street
Forest Teen Disco
El Salon Azul
Denny's on LeJeune Rd across from the Miami Airport
Ada Merritt Jr High School
Riverside Elementary School
Midway Roller Skating and on Saturday nights they did teen disco night
The Crandon Park Zoo
George's Super Sub Shop 1950's thru 1980's at 4580 SW 8th Street
Velvet Cream
Sears on Biscayne Blvd and NE 13th Street
Sea Horse fountain Dadeland Mall
Skipper Chuck and Scrubby
The Castaways Resort in Sunny Isles
The Coliseum in Coral Gables on Douglas Road
The Kapok Tree restaurant 1974-1987 Davie, Florida
The Miami Skyways Motel in LeJeune Road across from the Miami Airport
The Tropicaire Drive in Theatre on Bird Road across from Tropical Park
Uncle Tom's Barbecue at 3988 SW 8th Street
Zayre Department Store on 37th Ave & 7th Street
Flagler Dog Track across from Zayre Department store on 37th Ave & 7th Street
The carnivals that were held on Zayre Department Store parking lot on 37th Ave & 7th Street
The Hollywood Sportatorium

The Mutiny Club/Hotel 2951 S. Bayshore Dr., this was a private club, membership only, so much fun we had on the second and third floors (Mutiny I & Mutiny II) which was located of the building's south side and who can forget the outside bar called the Treetop.

Honey for the Bears on SW 27th Avenue a few blocks south of U.S. 1 in the Grove
Scaramouche at the Omni
Faces in the Grove
Daphne's at the Sheraton Airport
Club Nu

I will post some more as I remember.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-ada-merritt-jr-high.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-bird-bowl-92nd-bird-road-1963.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-crandon-park-zoo-brochure-1960s.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-crandon-park-zoo-sign-entrance-1972.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-crandon-park-zoo-miniature-train-1972.jpg  

Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-georges-super-sub-shop-1950s-thru   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-miniature-train-circled-crandon-park-zoo   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-lindsley-lumber-red-road-s.-dixie   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-pizza-palace-1960s-3099-sw-8th   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-pizza-palace-1960s-3099-sw-8th  

Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-pizza-palace-1960s-3099-sw-8th   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-pizza-palace-1970s-3099-sw-8th   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-pizza-palace-1970s-3099-sw-8th   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-royal-castle-nw-7th-street-miami.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-sea-horse-fountain-dadeland-mall-1960s.jpg  

Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-sears-1957-biscayne-blvd-ne-13th   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-skipper-chuck-scrubby-1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-sorrento-restaurant-sw-8th-street-miami   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-sorrento-restaurant-sw-8th-street-miami   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-sorrento-restaurant-owners-joe-lucy-early  

Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-castaways-resort-sunny-isles-1960-pic2.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-castaways-resort-sunny-isles-1960.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-kapok-tree-restaurant-1974-1987-davie   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-kapok-tree-punch-glass.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-coliseum-coral-gables-when-douglas-road  

Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-hollywood-sportatorium-1970s.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-miami-skyways-motel-lejeune-road-miami   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-miami-skyways-motel-lejeune-road-miami   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-tropicaire-drive-theatre-bird-road-across   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-uncle-toms-barbecue-3988-sw-8th  

Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-woolworth-co.-lucheonette-menu-1960s.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-zayre-department-store.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-mutiny-treetop-pool-side.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten In Miami-mutiny-membership-card.jpg  

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM

12 posts, read 33,213 times
Wow, that seahorse at Dadeland...I just had a 45 year old flashback! I totally forgot about that, but someone had reminded me of the green dragon inside and was mesmerized with that.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM

46 posts, read 113,676 times
Do we have any oldtimers ...( >70... ) who may remember Miami Beach before the high-rise buildings..? Before the construction of Hilton hotel etc...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarreraM View Post
I remember the following:

Flagler Dog Track across from Zayre Department store on 37th Ave & 7th Street
Great overall list, but there is no need to try to "remember" Flagler Dog Track; it's still there.

Now if you want to stir some memories, how about the Miami Beach Dog Track? It was in operation until the late 1970s. Here's a postcard image from 1939.

Late 1930's - aerial view of Miami Beach with the Miami Beach dog track in foreground photo - Don Boyd photos at pbase.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami