Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The Falls had water everywhere, it was a unique shopping center. The El Torito was quite fancy looking, and the Bloomindales had a pretty luxurious looking interior when it opened. You never saw another place like the Falls but I am unsure what it looks like now.
Now it looks like any other shopping mall in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,980 times
I always think about the Miami I grew up in, the Miami of the later 60s into the 70s. At this time of year especially, I remember the Miami of the days of the King Orange Jamboree. My orthodontist was on the Orange Bowl Committee, and through him I got involved with the parade. I still look back at the old photos on the floats I used to be part of, lasting 7 years. Those were special times, not just for the parade but all the festivities - the Junior Orange Bowl Parade, the football game at the Orange Bowl stadium. Is the Junior Orange Bowl gone too, as well as the Three Kings Day Parade? I also remember going to the park by City Hall in Coral Gables to enjoy the lights there, sponsored by the Coral Gables Jaycees. That was still in existence when I went to visit some years back.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM

289 posts, read 450,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boert View Post
L&N Seafood

Oh my god! The best biscuits or rolls or whatever they were. LOVED!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:38 AM

289 posts, read 450,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boert View Post
I remember the big wooden Indian.

Was it The Renegade?

And El Torito was always our 'pick-up' location when waiting for our parents in junior high .

Last edited by box*of*rain; 12-31-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 08:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It's really a shame how things never change for the better in Miami. In the Falls I remember my parents would shop while I was at one of the book stores, and when walking around I still remember how the inside water features were. There was even a seafood restaurant in the middle of the water accessible by a wooden walkway that looked like a pier. El Torito was cheaper than we expected, at first my parents would not even go inside because they thought it was expensive! But with the Sweden house gone there were not many eating options, other than the Chopsticks buffet at the Quality Inn. I will go to the Falls the next time I am in the area to see how much it has degraded. Have not been there since hurricane Andrew.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I always think about the Miami I grew up in, the Miami of the later 60s into the 70s. At this time of year especially, I remember the Miami of the days of the King Orange Jamboree. My orthodontist was on the Orange Bowl Committee, and through him I got involved with the parade. I still look back at the old photos on the floats I used to be part of, lasting 7 years. Those were special times, not just for the parade but all the festivities - the Junior Orange Bowl Parade, the football game at the Orange Bowl stadium. Is the Junior Orange Bowl gone too, as well as the Three Kings Day Parade? I also remember going to the park by City Hall in Coral Gables to enjoy the lights there, sponsored by the Coral Gables Jaycees. That was still in existence when I went to visit some years back.
What a shame I cannot tune in to channel 4 to see the Orange Bowl parade otherwise known as King Orange Jamboree anymore. Still have a bunch of VCR tapes of past parades though.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:08 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
What a shame I cannot tune in to channel 4 to see the Orange Bowl parade otherwise known as King Orange Jamboree anymore. Still have a bunch of VCR tapes of past parades though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9gyiHAJ7L8

Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
A glimpse of the pre Andrew times in Miami.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Here is one from 1963 Orange Bowl festivities and parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eEIhtPTEvc

Old 02-12-2016, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,550 times
I miss the Village Mall in Kendall, FL. The last time I saw it as the Village mall was in the last week of December 1984. Yes, there was a Carvel ice cream store there, and that pet store. I can't remember the name of it. There was also a Winn Dixie there on the south end. My first job was as a bagger there. I was 16. I believe the comic store you referred to was "The Front Page". It was a news stand with all kinds of newspapers, magazines and comic books. It was off the chain! I loved that store!

And then, I couldn't get back to Kendall, FL for a visit until the second week of February 2011. I knew that any of those stores could be gone by then, but at least I could finally, once again walk in the Village Mall, and show my fiance that place I told her about so many times. And then when we got there, I see that the only thing left of the mall was the drug store on the north end. It was now a CVS. All the rest of it was a University of Miami health center. That was such a disappointment :^(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami