Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

I am moving to SoFL with two elementary school kids. I will be working in Doral (close to Airport, off 72nd Ave). I am considering Miami Lakes, Miramar, Pembrooke Pines on the north, and Pinecrest, Kendall area in the south. I plan to rent for a year or two before finding a house. I would like to narrow down my choices ...

1) I do not want my commute to be more than 30 mins one way. It will not be an early commute either. I plan to start off at 9:00 and be at work by 9:30.

2) Which area is relatively more diverse? (I am an Asian/Indian immigrant). How about more safe? and school wise.

3) Know of any newly built apartment complexes? I know of this "Residence at the Lakehouse" in Miami Lakes that I really like, but I am not sure about the area/city.

Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,752,923 times
I would stick to the doral area if you only want a thirty min commute, if you pick Pinecrest you are talking a good forty five on a good day. Miami lakes is a very nice area but still the commute will be longer then thirty minutes.

Doral alone is a very congested area since it is a hub for export companies and some international banking I would looking into the schools and pick a grade A school in the areas you are looking for and just know that unless you are in western Doral your commute times will be at least forty five mins.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,390,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntea View Post
I am moving to SoFL with two elementary school kids. I will be working in Doral (close to Airport, off 72nd Ave). I am considering Miami Lakes, Miramar, Pembrooke Pines on the north, and Pinecrest, Kendall area in the south. I plan to rent for a year or two before finding a house. I would like to narrow down my choices ...

1) I do not want my commute to be more than 30 mins one way. It will not be an early commute either. I plan to start off at 9:00 and be at work by 9:30.

2) Which area is relatively more diverse? (I am an Asian/Indian immigrant). How about more safe? and school wise.

3) Know of any newly built apartment complexes? I know of this "Residence at the Lakehouse" in Miami Lakes that I really like, but I am not sure about the area/city.

Thanks !!
My wife works in Doral near the airport. We live in Coconut Grove and it takes her roughly 30 to 40 minutes to get home. Coconut Grove is very diverse. My next door neighbors are Anglo, Persian, Hispanic and we are African. I was just talking to my son the other day about Desis at his school, and he told me there were a few, not many. The area also has a large French population and some Francophone Africans too. The area also has a top ranked elementary school (Coconut Grove Elementary). Just make sure, if you move to the Grove you are in a area that is zoned for that school. Lastly the area is very walkable, with nice parks, a water front, restaurants etc. You will also be close to two very popular Desi restaurants. One in the Grove (which I have not tried) and one in downtown coral gables, which I absolutely LOVE! It is expensive as all heck, but very good none the less. There is another Desi restuarant but about twenty minutes north called the cooper chimney which every Desi I know raves about.

P.S. I would not live in Broward if I were you. EVERYONE and their grandmother has the idea of living in Broward and working in Miami. the commute is TERRIBLE. My wife used to drive almost a hour plus to get to work when we lived in Broward. The traffic is horrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami