Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM

53 posts, read 155,202 times

Advertisements

My wife, 1 year old child, dog, and I will be relocating to Miami. Job related reasons. Looking to rent for now and would like to stay under $2000. Can go higher if it's really worth it! We would like to buy something within the next 1-2 years and would like stay below $700k. What areas would you recommend to rent now? My wife will work around sw 27th ave and I'll work in westchester. We have a dog, so will need to rent a home with a backyard. A 2bed/2bath will do. What areas will you all suggest to try to avoid traffic as much as possible and keeping safety in mind. We'd like to be within 30-40 minutes commutable time from home to work. Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
I have seen you ask this question multiple times in different threads. That's fine, and I will tell you this.

If you are coming from WPB, you should probably live in SW Broward because it's not that much different from the WPB vicinity. Dade will be a shock. I very rarely recommend the Pembroke Pines area, but the west half is very nice, very safe, has plenty of properties under 2000 a month, and although the traffic on the way there will suck on the Palmetto, you can get there in 40 minutes. Your commute to Westchester actually wouldn't be bad at all, you could take the Turnpike over to 41, and your only real traffic is getting off to head east. Your wife, on the other hand, faces a hellish commute on the Palmetto and Dolphin expressways. For 2000 a month your money will really go further up that way though...

Old 11-18-2007, 05:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,057 times
Depending on where he's coming from in WPB it might actually not be a shock. For example, if he lives in the Haverhill section which is majority Hispanic anyway, why would that be a shock? Traffic-wise though it will be much worse, in terms of drivers they are much worse in Miami-Dade, though in general South Florida drivers are known for their stupidity.

However, in general, drive down to the area first and check out the apartments. Look up possible options online and then check them out for yourself, that's better than any advice someone can give

Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
I just returned from Miami today. The grove and the areas north of it are REALLY nice. Also the southern part of downtown Miami is pretty nice too. Don't know about rents and all that though.

Not sure if that helps at all though.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I just returned from Miami today. The grove and the areas north of it are REALLY nice. Also the southern part of downtown Miami is pretty nice too. Don't know about rents and all that though.

Not sure if that helps at all though.
The main problem with that area is that they might not be able to get a decent place for under 2000 a month, as well as the crime (They mention wanting safety). You wouldn't expect it, but turn on the wrong block in the grove. You would be AMAZED! It is VERY expensive that way, although they probably could do it and it's a great commute/location compromise, not to mention very nice (and not miles of relentless "Anytown USA" cookie cutter suburbia like you find in the Pines).

How about Coral Gables? That's pretty safe, might be doable for 2000 a month, very nice, close to work.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 PM

fort lauderdale

where is coral gables? I dont know miami that well to be honest. I have a feeling rent is going to be pushed down along with house prices in the coming years but its a waiting game.

I will be going down to miami more often to learn the areas. As I said before, if I can't find a job up north I will try to relocate to miami for the time being until the economy decides to make a come back.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
fort lauderdale

where is coral gables? I dont know miami that well to be honest. I have a feeling rent is going to be pushed down along with house prices in the coming years but its a waiting game.

I will be going down to miami more often to learn the areas. As I said before, if I can't find a job up north I will try to relocate to miami for the time being until the economy decides to make a come back.
Coral Gables is....mostly to the west of U.S.1, basically immediately due west and a little south of the Grove. I'm not exactly map familiar with most of Miami that far south either. It's kind of like Coconut Grove except it's got less ghetto mixed in with nice and feels more exclusive. Mostly older homes and all different styles with a LOT of trees. Very classy area. And UM is there.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Only thing is, I will be renting so where ever I go it will have to be a nice rental area. I am defintily not going to be buying anything for at least another 3 yrs or so. Gotta let the housing market do its thing first

Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Only thing is, I will be renting so where ever I go it will have to be a nice rental area. I am defintily not going to be buying anything for at least another 3 yrs or so. Gotta let the housing market do its thing first
This is intended to the OP as well.

You really aren't going to find any "Complexes" or "rental areas" on this side of town. You basically need to find a nice building that feels secure and find a place for rent from what I know.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM

53 posts, read 155,202 times
Fort Lauderdale, thanks for the info. I know, you're all about Weston, Cooper city, etc... I have seen your comments on other posts. I agree with you about these areas. I's much rather live in these areas of Broward than in Miami. I just don't think that spending hours on the road working to and from work is a good way to spend your time outside of work. This is why I'm trying to find a place that is kind of in the middle from our jobs. Thanks again for trying to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami