Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM

117 posts, read 176,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Newfront-You don't want to go to Kendall or West Kendall or Hammocks. The traffic is beyond a nightmare. I've already given you the best option for schooling and house/land for the g-parents. You're looking for walkability as well but the three of those don't go hand in hand. You have to sacrifice something. Keep us posted and don't worry about asking questions.

Do NOT listen to MrLoco or whatever his name is.
Agreed. Thanks for the recommendations. As for Mr. Loco, he just likes me. A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morel View Post
Pinecrest and Coral Gables pay a lot of taxes. I would move to the Falls area it's really nice and you can buy a great newer house for about 800. its better to walk than Pinecrest because shopping is closer. In Pinecrest you will need a car or bike to go to buy anything. It is not really a walking place but it has good schools. Coral Gables its a good walking option and it is really pretty but many regulations.
What are the borders of "The Falls"? I don't mind paying higher taxes, if they are warranted. I am pretty sure Pinecrest is already scratched off the list.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM

22,550 posts, read 29,850,920 times
Falls will be lower taxes as they don't have the McMansions in their area. The Falls is across US1 from Pinecrest. You can definately get a good large house in there for under 900K but its the same driving distance as Pinecrest.

For your gun license here in FL, you'll have to take a course and apply through the state. The wait time is 2 months+ to get your license from the state once you turn it in.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,924,870 times
Maybe just getting a realtor and telling them you need a 2 family home/homes would be best. That will narrow down the neighborhood possibilities A LOT!. It doesn't sound like you're looking for in-law quarters to me. You sound like you want 2 separate residences, not just a bedroom/kitchen/bath for the grandparents. That's a really tough find in Miami. Combine that with a walkable neighborhood with a park within a couple of blocks seems like an impossibility. Maybe two houses next door or back to back like a previous poster suggested would be the best option.

I live in a house that's a third of 900K in West Kendall and I don't have any issues like Loco talks about, btw.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Falls will be lower taxes as they don't have the McMansions in their area. The Falls is across US1 from Pinecrest. You can definately get a good large house in there for under 900K but its the same driving distance as Pinecrest.

For your gun license here in FL, you'll have to take a course and apply through the state. The wait time is 2 months+ to get your license from the state once you turn it in.
Gotcha. Nope, not interested in driving from Pinecrest, so Falls is no go. It really is too far.

As for the guns, thanks. Good to know.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Maybe just getting a realtor and telling them you need a 2 family home/homes would be best. That will narrow down the neighborhood possibilities A LOT!. It doesn't sound like you're looking for in-law quarters to me. You sound like you want 2 separate residences, not just a bedroom/kitchen/bath for the grandparents. That's a really tough find in Miami. Combine that with a walkable neighborhood with a park within a couple of blocks seems like an impossibility. Maybe two houses next door or back to back like a previous poster suggested would be the best option.

I live in a house that's a third of 900K in West Kendall and I don't have any issues like Loco talks about, btw.
I definitely will, but those two residences would have to be literally side by side or front to back (which may be even more impossible to find in a nice area vs a guest/in-law quarters or a duplex.).

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,455,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfrontalex View Post
Excellent suggestion on Morningside. We loved the area when cruising around town last month, but couldn't actually get anyone to talk to us about how living in Morningside actually is. Also, we loved North CocoGrove, but didn't find any properties to fit the bill. It's like...if it ain't one thing....
Try center grove also. I would stay north of Grand and east of 32nd.

With morningside try going to the park and striking up a conversation with someone. I am sure someone will be willing to give their input.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,861,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfrontalex View Post
Will do. We will be flying out every two weeks or so over the next three months until we begin the purchasing process so I will be asking a lot of redundant questions, for sure. I appreciate everyone's input. With that said, any recommendations for best possible day care in CG?
University of Miami has a fantastic day care - but it may be hard to get into. And, Riviera day school is very good. You might also want to look at some of the stuff in the Grove for schools.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Try center grove also. I would stay north of Grand and east of 32nd.

With morningside try going to the park and striking up a conversation with someone. I am sure someone will be willing to give their input.
The last time we visited we ran out of time but that will make it a point to talk to some folks in the area. As for CocoGrove, I didn't take the time to visit namely because there weren't any properties for sale which match our criteria.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
University of Miami has a fantastic day care - but it may be hard to get into. And, Riviera day school is very good. You might also want to look at some of the stuff in the Grove for schools.
I was under the impression that was for employees/students only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami