Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Sure, all of Miami is like that. I'm guessing you never been west of Downtown, friggin' tourists -.-
Not only that, but today I actually was paying attention to the structures and businesses along Washington Ave. and side streets leading to Collins. Pretty old, moldy looking store fronts and even borderline dilapidated in a few parts, almost like NW 3rd Ave. in Miami (obviously a very different crowd though!)... Collins and Ocean and everything south of 5th, of course, are still pretty well maintained. Don't entirely mind, though, as it's probably the only thing keeping my rent lower than anything I can find in Brickell, downtown, or Midtown. I still have a few years until the City does its Washington Ave. and "North of 5th" revitalization project, after that it may be time to move up to North Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah View Post
Bit of sticker shock when shopping rentals in Miami (33187) area. I am looking to relocate around this area for a job transfer. I would be making quite a bit more than I am now but unsure if I can afford 4 times my current monthly rent (which is 675.00)

Are there any less seedy areas in Miami that don't have ridiculous pricing for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat?

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Heck, even better would be mobile home parks in that area if there are no reasonably priced flats. I have no problems with that. Preferably with parking provided / carport etc... I have a pristine 30 year old Mercedes Benz I drive every day and would really hate for something to happen to that car...

I've heard some not so good things about Miami
I have been here 3months. I went from a 2/2 with garage and lake in my backyard for 800.00. I have not found a place yet and it's been 3months. You have to pay darn near double what you normally pay for a place that is half as decent. Why? I have no clue. I think it's because of the money they can get from section 8 people. I really do think that's it. The moment you see a really nice looking spot, you find out its income based and primarily for section 8. So you're punished for having a job. Also be prepared to pay first, last and security. That typically equals your rent x 3. So if your rent is going to be 1300.00 plus this can be costly.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Not only that, but today I actually was paying attention to the structures and businesses along Washington Ave. and side streets leading to Collins. Pretty old, moldy looking store fronts and even borderline dilapidated in a few parts, almost like NW 3rd Ave. in Miami (obviously a very different crowd though!)... Collins and Ocean and everything south of 5th, of course, are still pretty well maintained. Don't entirely mind, though, as it's probably the only thing keeping my rent lower than anything I can find in Brickell, downtown, or Midtown. I still have a few years until the City does its Washington Ave. and "North of 5th" revitalization project, after that it may be time to move up to North Beach
If all of Miami was like the coastal areas the prices would be justified, but it ain't. To get an idea of how much of a price rip off Miami is, consider this: Last summer my boyfriend flew down from Texas to see me for the first time. (We were long distance) and we were looking for a cheap motel near where I was living. I looked at a motel in Flagler called "G G Motel." It was 50 dollars per person as opposed to per night, the guy didn't even speak English, and there was no WiFi. We ended up going to Ft. Lauderdale instead, found a place that was 40 PER NIGHT, had WiFi, spoke perfect English and was a 5 minute bus ride, 20 minute walk from the beach, as oppossed to the other one, smack dab in the middle of Miami, far from the beach. Apparently the Miami address means it can be worth 100 a night for me? Umm, no thanks. This time when I drive to Miami in July, I'm not doing motels

Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 PM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenabrown View Post
I have been here 3months. I went from a 2/2 with garage and lake in my backyard for 800.00. I have not found a place yet and it's been 3months. You have to pay darn near double what you normally pay for a place that is half as decent. Why? I have no clue. I think it's because of the money they can get from section 8 people. I really do think that's it. The moment you see a really nice looking spot, you find out its income based and primarily for section 8. So you're punished for having a job. Also be prepared to pay first, last and security. That typically equals your rent x 3. So if your rent is going to be 1300.00 plus this can be costly.
Yes, Miami rents are too high but damn this was dumb, what is it with all these hicks coming to Miami and blaming the high rent prices on the poor? First, no one is being punished for having a job and second, Miami is expensive because it's a desirable destination for lots of people and it's a city where the rich come to play, that's it.

You could only pay 800 for a 2/2 with a garage and a lake because wherever that place is no one wants to live there. Bunch of hicks, it's like it's their first time in a real city.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 PM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
If all of Miami was like the coastal areas the prices would be justified, but it ain't. To get an idea of how much of a price rip off Miami is, consider this: Last summer my boyfriend flew down from Texas to see me for the first time. (We were long distance) and we were looking for a cheap motel near where I was living. I looked at a motel in Flagler called "G G Motel." It was 50 dollars per person as opposed to per night, the guy didn't even speak English, and there was no WiFi. We ended up going to Ft. Lauderdale instead, found a place that was 40 PER NIGHT, had WiFi, spoke perfect English and was a 5 minute bus ride, 20 minute walk from the beach, as oppossed to the other one, smack dab in the middle of Miami, far from the beach. Apparently the Miami address means it can be worth 100 a night for me? Umm, no thanks. This time when I drive to Miami in July, I'm not doing motels
Miami is more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale, everybody knows that, but it's bull**** that you had to go all the way to Ft. Lauderdale to find a cheap motel where someone spoke English, unless you really really wanted the absolute cheapest thing you could find, and if that's true I hope you had your vaccines up to date and your gun with you, because a $40 night motel is in the middle of the lepers and pirates.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Miami is more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale, everybody knows that, but it's bull**** that you had to go all the way to Ft. Lauderdale to find a cheap motel where someone spoke English, unless you really really wanted the absolute cheapest thing you could find, and if that's true I hope you had your vaccines up to date and your gun with you, because a $40 night motel is in the middle of the lepers and pirates.
LOL $40 doesn't get you much anywhere in the US--usually it's some truck stop off of the Interstate out in the middle of nowhere. So I'm impressed that he could even find something for that price in town.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Oh definitely needec the cheapest. Barely had any money, either of us. Wasn't too bad a place actually. Also had a really nice pool. My boyfriend did mention the area was a little ghetto, but he did live in worse places in Dallas. It was in Hollywood, south of Ft. Lauderdale. It would have been more culture shock for him to have been in the heart of Miami, where Americans feel like the foreigners. I wonder how he'll react when he sees Miami for the first time this summer He already hates Florida enough as it is! Really, I look forward to taking him to Coral Gables, downtown and the beach. That's it. The rest is too much of a culture shock.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:41 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
CNBC had two developers on this morning to discuss, using their headline, not mine, the "Miami Real Estate Boom." Wealthy foreigners seem to be the fuel. They start out as tourists, like the area so much, and decide to buy.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is that these "massive waves of immigrants" that are so poor they apparently need all these free benefits, the housing, the food stamps, the free college, are responsible for the rent increases in Miami because they somehow can afford the sky high rents, is that it?
LOL. Isn't that hilarious? I used to get irritated with the trolls; now I just laugh at the abject stupidity Of their scribblings.

And what's really humorous is that shortly after you point out the idiocy of one troll blaming the massive waves of poor immigrants for high rental prices, we have another one who blames it on Section 8!

If you wanted to denigrate the anti-Miamians by creating fictional posts to demonstrate their lack of intelligent thought, you couldn't match what they've already written, lol.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. Isn't that hilarious? I used to get irritated with the trolls; now I just laugh at the abject stupidity Of their scribblings.

And what's really humorous is that shortly after you point out the idiocy of one troll blaming the massive waves of poor immigrants for high rental prices,we have another one who blames it on Section 8!

If you wanted to denigrate the anti-Miamians by creating fictional posts to demonstrate their lack of intelligent thought, you couldn't match what they've already written, lol.
I work in real estate and it's funny how people blame expensive rent on people who have Section 8! First of all Section 8 doesn't mean free rent since you have to pay a portion of your income to the rent itself and your allowance doesn't mean you are going to live in Brickell or South beach either. The rent has to be market rate for the neighborhood you want to live in.

Miami is expensive because it is a very compact densely populated metro of nearly 6 Million people living on about 1200 Square miles. We don't sprawl like a Atlanta or a Houston or Dallas where there is plentiful cheap land in every direction.

For comparison's sake the Miami metro (Dade/Broward/Palm Beach counties) Urbanized area is about 1200 Square miles or the same size as the state of Rhode Island. The difference is that the state of Rhode Island has a population of 1,055,173 (2014 US Census estimate) yet metro Miami crams in about 5 and half times more people into the same size area with nearly 6 million residents. As for foreign investors & buyers? Yes they drive prices up but only in the most desirable areas. Look at what is happening to Overtown now as the sea of highrises marches west towards it. Gentrification is overtaking the city of Miami and in about a decade Overtown will barely exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami