Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM

72 posts, read 87,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Miami doesn't like the poor and the middle class..... the only nice areas in Miami are Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Brickell, Aventura, Palmetto Bay, and some parts of Coconut Grove, East Kendall and Doral. Gues what? you need to be f^&*($% rich to live there! The rest of Miami is undesirable, overcrowded and full of low lives... I live in a "middle class area" and it's full of losers, recently arrived, uneducated people...

If you are not able to pay a $1,500 rent, don't make the move. Miami is not fun when you are poor or even middle class...
Obviously you don't know where the OP comes from. In Lee county if you can't afford Million dollar homes in Sanibel or Ft Myers beach, you will deal with a lot of riff raff also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Every big city is like that in the whole country, and nearly every nation on Earth for that matter. And frankly it isn't that expensive over here, the problem is that the average income is too low for the average monthly rent (or mortgage) price. Especially nowadays, as most job openings don't pay well at all in SoFl.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Coral Gables is suspect! Downtown is semi nice, they have a nice smattering of homeless people though. Also some parts of the gables isn't so nice looking like east of Douglas and just south of coral way. I would be on guard walking around those areas at nice. I am often downtown Gables and we walk to one of the restaurants at night. I'm never afraid but I am aware of my surroundings when I am walking to my car. Coconut Grove is nice BUT it is no stranger to stick ups and or rapes. I think the last rape happened in front of the Coconut Grove Elem. a few weeks back. The scum bag was from Coral Gables. So the listen here is, criminals do not always do their business in their own areas. They have cars and will travel.

Brickell looks nice but its no stranger to rape and muggings too. Miami is funny though. People see expensive homes, white people and they assume everything is roses and apple cider. Its the same in NYC in terms of the crime, but people are not foolish enough to think things are all sunshine just because its in a middle or upper middle income area.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
some parts of the gables isn't so nice looking like east of Douglas and just south of coral way.
Coral Gables does not extend east of Douglas Rd.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Coral Gables does not extend east of Douglas Rd.
your right, it doesn't. doesn't preclude what i said about the downtown.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 PM

304 posts, read 871,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah View Post
Bit of sticker shock when shopping rentals in Miami (33187) area. I am looking to relocate around this area for a job transfer. I would be making quite a bit more than I am now but unsure if I can afford 4 times my current monthly rent (which is 675.00)

Are there any less seedy areas in Miami that don't have ridiculous pricing for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat?

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Heck, even better would be mobile home parks in that area if there are no reasonably priced flats. I have no problems with that. Preferably with parking provided / carport etc... I have a pristine 30 year old Mercedes Benz I drive every day and would really hate for something to happen to that car...

I've heard some not so good things about Miami

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself? Do you have a family? Do you need a big place? I dont know how much stuff you have, but you ,ay be able to find decent studios in your price range. They will probably be small but you could save up money for awhile and get a better place. Check out places in a local Miami paper or even craigslist.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM

351 posts, read 1,127,004 times
Another consideration for the OP is to look for roommate situations, to allow him to save some money and then buy a place. I assume that would be the goal if he is planning to stick around the area, but I could be wrong. It is possible to find decent professional people (say, a recently divorced person with a 3/2 house) who are looking for a roommate. Get a background check on the person and make sure their house is not under a lien for foreclosure.

The thing with rents in Miami and Fort Lauderdale is that, in South Florida, thousands of folks were caught up in foreclosures or short sales, or just plain are in credit situations that don't allow them to buy. A lot of people lost their @ss , either "investing in condos" or simply bought a home at the peak through no fault of their own, then lost their job in the recession. Thus, the rental market is hot, and this demand creates higher prices. Purchasing a home can seem downright affordable in comparison, although you need to plan on purchasing below your budget now, to factor in HIGH insurance costs.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
The problem is, speculators and investors are ultimately what make Miami overpriced. It's like gasoline, there is enough to go around, but when people start speculating about a shortage in order to make a profit, prices skyrocket regardless of a real or made up shortage, they win and everyone else loses.

The same happens in Miami, except the price of real estate is at play. That affects everyone and everything. Add to it that Miami has an image, it draws a lot of people who buy into what they have seen or heard and people are willing to pay the going rate (over priced is relative to your perception-although I do agree with you) to have their slice of the pie.

Bottom line is, if Miami seems overpriced, it really isn't for you. There are many large cities that are more affordable, with wonderful COL and QOL. It just depends what you are looking for.

I would venture to say that Miami is rewarding for people who want to be here so badly that they will put up with everything else-the costs, low pay and unique Miami issues. And it works well for them and they love it. For other people, it is a run of the mill place, considering what you get in return for what you pay. The good old days of Miami being an affordable city are long gone and not comming back. This is hard for natives and long timmers to accept because they knew a different city with similar benefits at much more affordable prices...but in turn, the city is improving and comming into it's own...and many old timers have profited tremendously from the speculation....it's a trade off...but I would say you made a good choice by withdrawing your transfer app. based on the info you provided.

Very well said. I'm repping you for it. I couldn't have said it better.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^There are more nice areas than that you forgot Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove (parts at least), Miami Beach, Aventura, Surfside, Bal Harbour, Sunny Isles, The Roads, etc.
My bad, but I was talking mainly about Miami inland... The Roads is a very nice Miami neigborhood that I forgot to mention...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM

225 posts, read 447,307 times
If you think Miami (or the U.S.) is expensive, try watching "House Hunters International" or just looking online...you can get something VERY nice in Miami in comparison to ALOT if not MOST major cities in Europe or Asia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami