Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times

Advertisements

I'm down for the week due to job promotion. I currently live in Birmingham ,al. After 2 days I'm going home and passing on this because the rent in all areas is stupid high. I live in a home in Alabama that would rent for $3000 a month here. I'm sorry but south Florida is beautiful. But not for me and my family. Good luck on whatever you find. The few that I found that I would live in was $2100 month the lowest. If I wanted to stay in some other rougher places than I could pay $1600-1900. But I will not just settle just to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Guy View Post
You are a very smart guy. Don't believe the South Florida hype because it's all hype. Even in the wealthy areas people still must deal with the ongoing problems of living there like terrible traffic, rude and impatient people-snowbirds or just about anyone from up north not to mention uneducated third world self entitled (and apathetic) immigrants. Life was pretty great there up to about 1990. It's been going downhill ever since. The only people who love it over there are up north folks who came from probably horrid lifestyles of working in a GM factory 9-5 for 40 years and shoveling snow eight months each year. You being from Alabama, you got it good there. Keep on keeping on my southern friend. You made the right decision if you ask me.
As if Naples wasn't horribly Over priced!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Guy View Post
You are a very smart guy. Don't believe the South Florida hype because it's all hype. Even in the wealthy areas people still must deal with the ongoing problems of living there like terrible traffic, rude and impatient people-snowbirds or just about anyone from up north not to mention uneducated third world self entitled (and apathetic) immigrants. Life was pretty great there up to about 1990. It's been going downhill ever since. The only people who love it over there are up north folks who came from probably horrid lifestyles of working in a GM factory 9-5 for 40 years and shoveling snow eight months each year. You being from Alabama, you got it good there. Keep on keeping on my southern friend. You made the right decision if you ask me.
Sorry you have had such lousy experiences in Florida, and I hope you have found your shangri-la wherever it is you chose to relocate. Unless, of course, you have no first hand experience in Florida, have never been here, and are just pollyparroting what you have "heard" about Florida from other naysayers.

But I will admit that since many areas of Florida seem to be reaching critcal mass from the influx of humanity out to escape whatever they disliked about their previous locations, I'm glad to hear when someone else who had Florida in their sights decided it was not for them and moved elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboy38 View Post
I'm down for the week due to job promotion. I currently live in Birmingham ,al. After 2 days I'm going home and passing on this because the rent in all areas is stupid high. I live in a home in Alabama that would rent for $3000 a month here. I'm sorry but south Florida is beautiful. But not for me and my family. Good luck on whatever you find. The few that I found that I would live in was $2100 month the lowest. If I wanted to stay in some other rougher places than I could pay $1600-1900. But I will not just settle just to be here.
You cannot compare a cesspool like Miami to the rest of the USA. A good friend of mine from the Huntsville suburbs keeps telling me what a disaster south Florida is. The only reason rents are so high here is because of the funny money flowing in that supports asset prices. Those people could care less if the rent their properties as long as the prices stay high. Tenants can get their rent lowered by playing the eviction game. Rent for a few months, stop paying and live free three months while being evicted. I owned rental properties for years and got away from the game by renting below market rate to people on fixed incomes. The 2001-2008 bubble forced me to sell due to sky high property taxes and I say good riddance to that.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
Here is the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfbJeeLO34

Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
One theory I have is that the "sharing economy" especially AirBnB is inflating rents, especially in hot markets like Miami Beach and Brickell. It's not just hotels that lose business. Rent is influenced by supply and demand, and if the demand is higher because your neighbours don't mind sleeping on the sofa and letting someone pay to stay in their bedroom (and landlords and condo associations look the other way, and local governments don't crack down...), you're stuck with the higher rent too. Believe me, there is NOT enough healthy demand for Miami rental rates if you only take into account legitimate, documented sources of incomes.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:25 AM

471 posts, read 620,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah View Post
Bit of sticker shock when shopping rentals in Miami (33187) area. I am looking to relocate around this area for a job transfer. I would be making quite a bit more than I am now but unsure if I can afford 4 times my current monthly rent (which is 675.00)

Are there any less seedy areas in Miami that don't have ridiculous pricing for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat?

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Heck, even better would be mobile home parks in that area if there are no reasonably priced flats. I have no problems with that. Preferably with parking provided / carport etc... I have a pristine 30 year old Mercedes Benz I drive every day and would really hate for something to happen to that car...

I've heard some not so good things about Miami
Massive waves of immigrants come from the island and they get subsidized housing, free college, and food stamps. When a portion of the Miami population gets everything for free, they are willing to pay higher rents because it does not hit them that hard on the wallet.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Massive waves of immigrants come from the island and they get subsidized housing, free college, and food stamps. When a portion of the Miami population gets everything for free, they are willing to pay higher rents because it does not hit them that hard on the wallet.
Huh?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:18 PM

564 posts, read 746,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
So what you're saying is that these "massive waves of immigrants" that are so poor they apparently need all these free benefits, the housing, the food stamps, the free college, are responsible for the rent increases in Miami because they somehow can afford the sky high rents, is that it?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Because Miami is a subtropical paradise of beaches, nightlife and beautiful people. That's what you get when you move somewhere with nice weather. Just look at the cost of Hawaii and southern California.
Sure, all of Miami is like that. I'm guessing you never been west of Downtown, friggin' tourists -.-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami