Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelquiet View Post
Back on topic:

Escalators are actually designed so that you stand in the center of a step and hold a handrail. The edges of the steps have gaps that can and do trap shoelaces, long skirts, etc. The width is just wide enough for an adult and child to stand next to each other, with each holding the handrail. They are not designed to be wide enough for passing. Older folks or people with vertigo may need to hold both handrails. Know the Steps to Safety When Using Escalators

So no, I don't think it is poor etiquette in Miami or anywhere else to stand in the center, since that's where the safety experts say you should stand.
It's common sense. It's a moving object and the steps are narrow and it's very easy to fall.

But noooo let's pick up a child in an uneven moving object and maybe drop him or have grandma move her cane out of the way and balance herself with only one hand just because Mr Important overslept this morning and he is gonna get fired from his $10 executive assistant (AKA coffee guy) job if he is 5 minutes late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM

415 posts, read 650,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
It's common sense. It's a moving object and the steps are narrow and it's very easy to fall.

But noooo let's pick up a child in an uneven moving object and maybe drop him or have grandma move her cane out of the way and balance herself with only one hand just because Mr Important overslept this morning and he is gonna get fired from his $10 executive assistant (AKA coffee guy) job if he is 5 minutes late.
No one said anything about picking up and holding children. Step to the side and hold the handrail. Thousands of people manage to do it fine here in DC unless there is some escalator death epidemic that I'm unaware of.

An you guys are so full of BS. Sit near an escalator and see how many people actually hold both rails. You never mentioned anything about safety. you just don't want someone walking past you, period.

And again I like how you try to degrade anyone who want's to walk up/down the escalator as being a "coffee guy". Make you sound like a mean old bitter woman.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 PM

380 posts, read 961,807 times
Default Rep Points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
No one said anything about picking up and holding children. Step to the side and hold the handrail. Thousands of people manage to do it fine here in DC unless there is some escalator death epidemic that I'm unaware of.

An you guys are so full of BS. Sit near an escalator and see how many people actually hold both rails. You never mentioned anything about safety. you just don't want someone walking past you, period.

And again I like how you try to degrade anyone who want's to walk up/down the escalator as being a "coffee guy". Make you sound like a mean old bitter woman.
Yes, I'm from DC and this is just the norm. If your walking on a sidewalk, there is a possibility of twisting your ankle betwen the concrete and the grass, but that doesn't mean you walk in the middle of the sidewalk because of that hazard.

Just because I would like to walk on an escalator doesn't mean I'm in a hurry. I'm one of those people that probably walks faster than 90% of everyone else except those taller than me. No matter where I'm going. An escalator is public space anyway, and if I come across an old lady or mother with a child and I'm in a hurry I'll ask her to move. But if not then I will just wait. I think that just a lot of people in Miami( or any city) don't give much consideration. Rant over. Agree to disagree

Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 PM

You know, I noticed today that there are no signs on the stairs or escalators that indicate "stay to the right if not passing" I think if they were posted I would cheer up. That way people can't claim ignorance and I can get 15 seconds of my life back Of course they should be made in English, Spanish and French. It would give a nice Cosmopolitan flair as well I would think.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM

OK, so maybe as a "Washingtonian," this is why I'm so flustered about people on the metro rail.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/campus-overload/2010/07/how_to_not_offend_a_washington.html#more

Last edited by amIayankee?; 07-30-2010 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Is there any website where I can read metro etiquette? I don't want to look bad, u know hahahaha

Last edited by WINTERFRONT; 07-30-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami