Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times

Advertisements

I saw a few articles where Mexican insurers were complaining about the police keeping or selling stolen vehicles that were recovered. Apparently the Mexican police recover quite a few stolen vehicles, problem is they don't return them to the owner or insurer, they use them for their own needs or distribute them as favors or payoffs. Insurers claimed 140,000 insured vehicles in one year were recovered but not returned by authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,447,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I saw a few articles where Mexican insurers were complaining about the police keeping or selling stolen vehicles that were recovered. Apparently the Mexican police recover quite a few stolen vehicles, problem is they don't return them to the owner or insurer, they use them for their own needs or distribute them as favors or payoffs. Insurers claimed 140,000 insured vehicles in one year were recovered but not returned by authorities.
Several years ago my friends truck was stolen from El Paso. 6 months later he got a call from the police department in Saltillo, MX notifing him that his truck was at their impound lot. They wanted 1K dollars to get it out of impound, so he just let it go since the insurance company had already paid him for the loss.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 PM

758 posts, read 2,243,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Several years ago my friends truck was stolen from El Paso. 6 months later he got a call from the police department in Saltillo, MX notifing him that his truck was at their impound lot. They wanted 1K dollars to get it out of impound, so he just let it go since the insurance company had already paid him for the loss.
That is the crux of Mexican society. Everyone wants a lot for nothing.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 AM

20 posts, read 63,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Many of the criminals in MTY are indeed native 'regios'.

Same thing has been said about the situation in Juarez. "It's all the out of towner scum bags that did it! They brought the war here"... same thing could be said about Mexico City. It's a broken Mexican record, and I am simply tired of hearing it. If all the criminals are from another town, enlighten me where they are from? They aren't native chilangos, they aren't native regios, they arent native juarenses? Are they all just country folk?

Monterrey was NEVER exempt from the corruption and cronism that plagued the rest of the nation. Like I said before, that is the base for a wave of criminality to overtake a city, and Monterrey always had that, just didn't have a flame to light it up. And now, the flame is burning.
Oh you can say whatever is it you want. I never said Monterrey was free of crime before people from other cities like D.F. start immigrating to Monterrey. You can be as many tired as you want of hearing it, but I DID live that moment and government did nothing to clean streets. Monterrey had crime before OF COURSE! Monterrey was corrupted before OF COURSE! BUT was safer, a hundred times more than it is right now. I lived there, nobody told me or hear it on the news.

Are you kidding me? D.F. was a thousand times higher in delinquency, corruption, kidnapping than any other city in Mexico 20 years ago. They spread out reaching other cities, like Monterrey. Shame on the government for letting one of the must beautiful city like Monterrey get to this point.
Of course I call SCUM because that exactly what it is and once again the corrupting police and government did nothing about it.

I don't care if a insult your ears or eyes, this is my point of view from somebody that lived the situation nobody is gonna make me change my judgment!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabacano View Post
Oh you can say whatever is it you want. I never said Monterrey was free of crime before people from other cities like D.F. start immigrating to Monterrey. You can be as many tired as you want of hearing it, but I DID live that moment and government did nothing to clean streets. Monterrey had crime before OF COURSE! Monterrey was corrupted before OF COURSE! BUT was safer, a hundred times more than it is right now. I lived there, nobody told me or hear it on the news.

Are you kidding me? D.F. was a thousand times higher in delinquency, corruption, kidnapping than any other city in Mexico 20 years ago. They spread out reaching other cities, like Monterrey. Shame on the government for letting one of the must beautiful city like Monterrey get to this point.
Of course I call SCUM because that exactly what it is and once again the corrupting police and government did nothing about it.

I don't care if a insult your ears or eyes, this is my point of view from somebody that lived the situation nobody is gonna make me change my judgment!

Mexico City is twice the size of Monterrey in Area, but has more than 10 times the population. There's naturally going to be more crime. I never said Mexico City's crime rates were ever that of Monterrey's. (Maybe back in the 1800s, when Monterrey still suffered Indian sieges and Mexico city was the best. )

My point is, macabacano, your feelings of superiority... the whole notion that Monterrey and it's citizens were an island of safety and prosperity, and that the city is now under siege from these inferior Huns from the interior of Mexico... that whole notion is a sham.

It's highly divorced from reality, and I invite you to look introspectively.

#1 Monterrey never had a fully developed, sophisticated, and more importantly, scrupulous police force. The town saw that crime was relatively low, and didn't bother to develop security forces. A country like Sweden has low crime rates, but their police force is still fully armed, and extremely capable. The city grew, and then the Mexican economy tanked. La voila! Crime.
#2 You're in Mexico, sweetheart. You're a Mexican, just like all us other 'scum' that you so labeled. (American expats excluded). Being from, or living in Monterrey doesn't elevate you a single milimeter from that reality. As part of the Mexican nation, Monterrey and the state of Nuevo Leon fall under the first title of the Mexican Constitution of 1917 that allows any and all Mexican citizens to move freely around the country, without restrictions.

Monterrey has gained it's prosperity from selling and manufacturing goods and being a services hub for the rest of the nation. Monterrey makes money from Mexico, Monterrey is Mexico, and Monterrey suffers as the rest of Mexico, PERIOD.

You call us scum. (I assume that you are trying to say escoria) Unfortunately, the problem in Mexico is not the poor, or the indigents, or the migrant workers. It's people like you that don't like to take responsibility for the rest of the nation. It's people that, instead of trying to look at the macro problems of Mexico, instead relish and delight in separating themselves from Mexico.

At the end of the day, we're all Mexicans. Rich, poor, white, indian, regio, chilango, ranchero, hipster, ejidetario, empresario, etc... and no matter how much we try to differentiate ourselves from the filth of a country that WE have created, and no matter where we go: we will be known, not by our individual or regional characteristics, but by MEXICAN.

Last edited by joelaldo; 04-15-2010 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
The reason I don't have much to say anymore on here is because there is not much to say to someone who talks about Mexican police in a favorable light in comparison to the U.S. police. How do you fight that sort of myopic ignorance? I don't. I can't. I won't.
Considering the vehicle was stolen in the USA where the police here *should* protect the citizens, yes I am critical. They may have improved some but back when thousands of vehicles were being stolen in just one city and the police would *claim* someone took them to Mexico -- exactly where were the police? They knew full well the thieves were driving them over the bridges and made no effort to stop them. They certainly could have put up checks of vehicles leaving the country.

Then when you go to report it, the police would be too busy to take the report. I was just saying that the police here in the USA showed NO interest but said to call the insurance company and have it replaced. The Mexican police showed more interest in reality and took the report, asked more questions but of course regardless, the vehicle was not recovered.

I don't believe all Mexican police are bad - I'm pretty sure some were not, but also look how many have been killed in recent years. And they've been replaced by the army and things aren't better.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
What? The U.S. police "allow" cars to be stolen and taken to Mexico? How does that work exactly? Are you saying they saw a car being stolen and looked the other way or saw a car going over the border and waved a cheery goodbye? Where do you live so I can avoid that place.

And what does an officer care if insurance pays off and news cars are bought? Do they get a sales commission? Last I checked, cops pay for auto insurance like everyone else and more stolen cars equals higher insurance premiums.

I'm sorry the officer taking your report didn't go into a frenzy, start blasting his whistle, and running up the street looking for your car. That's not how it works and would not be very effective law enforcement. The way it works is the officer takes the report (be it smiling or frowning or eating a doughnut), which gets entered into a NCIC database, then whenever any cops run plates (at routine traffic stops or for suspicious vehicles) it will turn up as a stolen vehicle and will be taken into custody.

Maybe if Mexican cops diligently did the same your cop wouldn't have considered it so hopeless?
On the border -- and the police really made no effort for years to stop the auto thefts, yet they knew the cars headed right over the border.

This went on all along the border. Some people in another border town parked their car to walk over the bridge to visit and watched as their van made it over to Mexico before they did.

It wasn't the job of the Mexican police to patrol the streets on the USA, they weren't being paid our taxes to protect us and our possessions in the USA. Yet night after night, cars and trucks would be stolen from driveways and parking lots in the USA while the police did next to nothing to stop this. Of course all it would have taken would be to stop and check all vehicles leaving.

I also know first hand of some police corruption here -- but that'd be getting off topic but I know for a fact there are US cops that weren't above committing some crimes of their own (including drug use).

And because nothing now is being done to stop whoever from moving over here for whatever reason, what will happen when threats are made on lives of police here? Will they be very brave compared with the police in Mexico when it comes to die? Or have their children threatened?

Just like the guy in Horizon who was kidnapped in broad daylight and taken to Juarez to be tortured and killed, and that was done by US citizens also living in the US, the police didn't stop that. Even now they apparently got the guys that carried the hit out, but they didn't get the ones who commanded this.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
And that right there would show the police that Americans prefer to just have the insurance buy them a new vehicle and so just go ahead and make use of the vehicle themselves. 1K dollars wouldn't be that much to have a vehicle recovered - especially as many of those police forces were seriously undermanned.

Most US cops are good enough people -- and I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but they weren't doing a thing to stop thieves from coming over and taking whatever cars they wanted. It was just to easy to sit and shrug that any crime committed here is really up to the cops of another country to solve.

Just like the drug trafficking - sure the drugs cross over from Mexico and the police there don't stop that, but the cross into the USA and aren't stopped once they make it over and it's not by magic that drugs can make it from a Juarez warehouse to any city and town in the US within hours. It's a two-sided coin of corruption involving both sides.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And that right there would show the police that Americans prefer to just have the insurance buy them a new vehicle and so just go ahead and make use of the vehicle themselves. 1K dollars wouldn't be that much to have a vehicle recovered - especially as many of those police forces were seriously undermanned.
Yup, one statement from some random poster on city-data goes to prove an entire, cooked-up conspiracy against the good people of the border police departments brought on by another city data poster.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 AM

20 posts, read 63,211 times
Quote:
Mexico City is twice the size of Monterrey in Area, but has more than 10 times the population. There's naturally going to be more crime. I never said Mexico City's crime rates were ever that of Monterrey's. (Maybe back in the 1800s, when Monterrey still suffered Indian sieges and Mexico city was the best. )

My point is, macabacano, your feelings of superiority... the whole notion that Monterrey and it's citizens were an island of safety and prosperity, and that the city is now under siege from these inferior Huns from the interior of Mexico... that whole notion is a sham.

It's highly divorced from reality, and I invite you to look introspectively.

#1 Monterrey never had a fully developed, sophisticated, and more importantly, scrupulous police force. The town saw that crime was relatively low, and didn't bother to develop security forces. A country like Sweden has low crime rates, but their police force is still fully armed, and extremely capable. The city grew, and then the Mexican economy tanked. La voila! Crime.
#2 You're in Mexico, sweetheart. You're a Mexican, just like all us other 'scum' that you so labeled. (American expats excluded). Being from, or living in Monterrey doesn't elevate you a single milimeter from that reality. As part of the Mexican nation, Monterrey and the state of Nuevo Leon fall under the first title of the Mexican Constitution of 1917 that allows any and all Mexican citizens to move freely around the country, without restrictions.

Monterrey has gained it's prosperity from selling and manufacturing goods and being a services hub for the rest of the nation. Monterrey makes money from Mexico, Monterrey is Mexico, and Monterrey suffers as the rest of Mexico, PERIOD.

You call us scum. (I assume that you are trying to say escoria) Unfortunately, the problem in Mexico is not the poor, or the indigents, or the migrant workers. It's people like you that don't like to take responsibility for the rest of the nation. It's people that, instead of trying to look at the macro problems of Mexico, instead relish and delight in separating themselves from Mexico.

At the end of the day, we're all Mexicans. Rich, poor, white, indian, regio, chilango, ranchero, hipster, ejidetario, empresario, etc... and no matter how much we try to differentiate ourselves from the filth of a country that WE have created, and no matter where we go: we will be known, not by our individual or regional characteristics, but by MEXICAN.
Mod edit: Personal attacks

Ok let's see...my feeling of superiority? Of course! I am from Monterrey, you can take any Regio from the Monterrey and we are extremely proud of who we are and most important where we are coming from and that place for ME is my hometown Monterrey.

I am a Mexican of course I AM and a very proud one! I have never deny it like thousands of people I have met during my years living in another lovely city like San Antonio, but here tons of peple call them self Spanish (from Spain obviously). Sweetheart my Mexican blood will be with me for ever and I am proud of it but I am even more proud to be a Regia, if you don't like and how you feel about my comments don't make me nothing but laugh

Now you are right with the police force, that is what I keep saying. Agree!

What you said about the whole nation been sham, you know... what ever man. I expressed my point and I have the freedom to do so, this is how I feel. Oh yes there is a shame that Mexico a nation that has everything to be a great is in the hand of corrupted government from years and years, we suffer, hell yeah we do.

But you know what I so love my "filthy" country but what can I say... Mod Edit: Personal attack

Last edited by Travelling fella; 04-16-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico