Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,082 times

Advertisements

Hello, city-data, may I bother you with an inquiry? Thank you in advance.

Situation: I'm going to Mexico during the weekend of my little sisters' baptism.

Background: I recently got arrested for possession of marijuana in Texas. I got into a pretrial intervention program meaning the case will be dismisses after serving a probationary sentence. I am delaying the probation until after the baptism as terms of probation often include travel restrictions.

Question: Is it likely that the border patrol will mention arrest/criminal records? I might be carpooling with my family, but if it's likely to cause a hassle or even be mentioned, I'd rather find an excuse to bus it. =x

Thanks again. Let's be courteous please and not divert this thread into anything off-topic or controversial.

Last edited by lndigo; 04-06-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times
As for going into Mexico, I don't think you have a worry. Returning to the USA is where the ICP/Border Patrol comes into play. Unless you exhibit behavior which makes the Border Patrol agent suspicious and a background check is conducted, I don't see why the matter would be raised. If it is raised, be honest. I don't believe your arrest/conviction on what's considered a minor incident is cause for a US citizen to be denied entry into the country. I'm assuming you have no other criminal record and that you're living in the USA legally.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
... I am delaying the probation until after the baptism as terms of probation often include travel restrictions.
... .
I've never lived in Texas, but I've never heard of the idea of "delaying" the probation. I'd always assumed you're on probation starting from the moment the judge gives you the probation. Be sure you're not already on some sort of restrictions ...

Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,082 times
Thanks for the input, gomexico, it's precisely getting back to the States I'm most worried about. I am indeed a US citizen with no prior record.

Oddstray, the court system is extremely slow and bureaucratic. Delaying probation isn't so much an active procedure as it is a result of delaying paperwork and other details involved. In my particular case, I have yet to formally accept the terms that the judge has laid out (in fact, I haven't so much as been informed of the terms by the attorney I hired). At least this is my understanding, but I'll be sure to make sure of this fact before leaving the country. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Since you already have an attorney, call him and ask if you would be violating any travel restrictions already established by the court.

Other than that, I doubt if Mexico has any access to any court records that would reflect a criminal background, and returning through US immigration will not be a problem unless your name turns up in the computer as a parole violator or a wanted fugitive.

How far into Mexico are you going? If your destination is in a Fronteriza city, you won't even need to report your presence to Mexican officials.

Returning to the US, the worst that can happen is that they detain you while verifying your status. Remember, at ICE, you are presumed guilty until you can prove yourself innocent.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times
Quote:
Remember, at ICE, you are presumed guilty until you can prove yourself innocent.
You're describing the Mexican legal system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico