Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Hey what about phones/cameras? I got a company phone that stop working about as soon as I crossed the bridge at San Ysidro. What to do? Buy a cheap one in DF? I like my IPhone camera and would love to take pix and share them all along the way. I'm sure I'll take 1000 pictures and would hate to compromise quality. And what about a laptop? Would you bring your $1500 laptop to a hotel in DF? I'll bet the same laptop costs $500 in Mexico, right?
I think most people have little or no need for a telephone when on vacation in Mexico. If they do want access, for emergencies (i.e., to be reached by persons at home/office) they can ask their service provider to turn-on international service. That service works in Mexico City.

Otherwise, you can purchase an inexpensive cellular telephone, as suggested above. You'll need your passport and maybe other pieces of identification in order to purchase the phone and have the service connected.

Regarding laptops, and electronics generally: I find them to be higher priced in Mexico than in the USA or Canada. You'll find a lot of "refurbished" product for sale, though, and you'd want to have some confidence in the person selling you the electronics that once problematic equipment isn't being sold to you as new ... for the price of new.

I travel with my laptop. And I understand there's a risk I could be robbed. I haven't been, though. I travel with $2,500 in camera equipment, additionally. But I keep the cameras with me much/most of the time. I try not to tempt someone to rob me. So I either cover the equipment someplace where it's not easily seen/taken, or, if I'm particularly concerned for some reason, I leave things with the hotel manager. I almost always stay at hotels in Mexico City in the under-200 peso price range ... when not using an apartment of one of my friends there. Common sense rules the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think most people have little or no need for a telephone when on vacation in Mexico. If they do want access, for emergencies (i.e., to be reached by persons at home/office) they can ask their service provider to turn-on international service. That service works in Mexico City.

Otherwise, you can purchase an inexpensive cellular telephone, as suggested above. You'll need your passport and maybe other pieces of identification in order to purchase the phone and have the service connected.

Regarding laptops, and electronics generally: I find them to be higher priced in Mexico than in the USA or Canada. You'll find a lot of "refurbished" product for sale, though, and you'd want to have some confidence in the person selling you the electronics that once problematic equipment isn't being sold to you as new ... for the price of new.

I travel with my laptop. And I understand there's a risk I could be robbed. I haven't been, though. I travel with $2,500 in camera equipment, additionally. But I keep the cameras with me much/most of the time. I try not to tempt someone to rob me. So I either cover the equipment someplace where it's not easily seen/taken, or, if I'm particularly concerned for some reason, I leave things with the hotel manager. I almost always stay at hotels in Mexico City in the under-200 peso price range ... when not using an apartment of one of my friends there. Common sense rules the day.
One thing about electronics/phones, I disagree that they're more expensive automatically. It just depends on where you buy them. In Centro, it will be cheaper. At a regular store, it might be.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,120 times
Quote:
I definitely think that Denzel's "Man on Fire" does a good job of describing the security necessary for the well-off in Mexico City. ....
This is the most overblown statement I have read in my life

Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
This is the most overblown statement I have read in my life
Yeah, as if foreign children are kidnapped by trained assasins all the time. I know several foreign families with kids, and their biggest challenge is getting through traffic in the morning to get them to school.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Pretty much everything that plugs in to the wall (or runs on batteries) is more expensive in Mexico - especially laptops. I bought my 15" Toshiba on sale at OfficeMax in Duluth for $399 + tax; to buy the same laptop in Mexico it would cost at least $800 then. There's a reason you see so many people there walking around with 10" low-end mini-laptops, and it isn't the cute appearance...it's the price (and they too are more expensive than equivalent laptops/netbooks in the United States). There's also much less of a "used" market for those types of goods in Mexico, as people there tend to hold on to electronic and household goods until they are beyond repair - unlike the U.S., where even today, people who bought the iPhone 4 a year ago spring for the iPhone 4S.

On the other hand, almost anything that is labor-intensive is cheaper in Mexico.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Pretty much everything that plugs in to the wall (or runs on batteries) is more expensive in Mexico - especially laptops. I bought my 15" Toshiba on sale at OfficeMax in Duluth for $399 + tax; to buy the same laptop in Mexico it would cost at least $800 then. There's a reason you see so many people there walking around with 10" low-end mini-laptops, and it isn't the cute appearance...it's the price (and they too are more expensive than equivalent laptops/netbooks in the United States). There's also much less of a "used" market for those types of goods in Mexico, as people there tend to hold on to electronic and household goods until they are beyond repair - unlike the U.S., where even today, people who bought the iPhone 4 a year ago spring for the iPhone 4S.

On the other hand, almost anything that is labor-intensive is cheaper in Mexico.
Again, it *really* depends on where you buy it. I've seen laptops for about $2500 pesos, but then again, I wasn't in an Office Max at the time.

And you're right about people prefering to fix things rather than buy new. In the US, unless you go to some specialty place, you couldn't fix a blender if you wanted. Here, they stock parts for everything. I actually like that.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, as if foreign children are kidnapped by trained assasins all the time. I know several foreign families with kids, and their biggest challenge is getting through traffic in the morning to get them to school.
I think you should either read the book or see the movie before posting a comment like that. It makes you look as if you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Pretty much everything that plugs in to the wall (or runs on batteries) is more expensive in Mexico - especially laptops.
That's been my expierience, as well. Computers and Laptops, much higher priced and often of questionable sourcing/quality ... in Mexico City.

Quote:
There's also much less of a "used" market for those types of goods in Mexico, as people there tend to hold on to electronic and household goods until they are beyond repair - unlike the U.S., where even today, people who bought the iPhone 4 a year ago spring for the iPhone 4S.
The purchasing habits of the upper middle-class and above in the Mexico City area are little different than what we see amongst the middle-class in the USA. That's been my observation. Lack of money forces others to keep/repair electronics longer.

Quote:
Yes. Labor is cheap. Most large business enterprises take advantage of the workforce by paying Mexican-level wages for products manufactured in Mexico and sold at international, higher prices. There's some high-quality work performed in Mexico. And a lot of substandard, low-pay labor as well.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I think you should either read the book or see the movie before posting a comment like that. It makes you look as if you don't know what you're talking about.

I have seen the movie. And I do live here and know plenty of expats and locals. I think your bias is showing, because it's not the inherently dangerous place you seem to believe it is, and certainly not at the kind of level people assume. Crime rates did go up starting in 2007-2008 (before had been generally going down), at the same time the global economy started to suck. In 2009, though, the kidnapping rate was about 2 per 100,000 people in the city, which given the population translates to about 174 kidnappings out of about 8.7 million. Murder rates in 2011 were about 9 per 100,000, which is less than Columbus, Ohio, my hometown.

That's been my expierience, as well. Computers and Laptops, much higher priced and often of questionable sourcing/quality ... in Mexico City.

I've had the opposite experience. Where were you buying? There have been two instances where I have found products are either equal to or more expensive than in the US: furniture and basically anything at any US company store.

The purchasing habits of the upper middle-class and above in the Mexico City area are little different than what we see amongst the middle-class in the USA. That's been my observation. Lack of money forces others to keep/repair electronics longer.

I'm not so sure it's just a lack of money. Even in the US, I tend to think it's stupid and a complete waste to throw something out that could be easily fixed. I'm sure finances have something to do with it, but it's definitely become something more cultural.

Yes. Labor is cheap. Most large business enterprises take advantage of the workforce by paying Mexican-level wages for products manufactured in Mexico and sold at international, higher prices. There's some high-quality work performed in Mexico. And a lot of substandard, low-pay labor as well.
The average yearly salary is ridiculously low, and what constitutes the middle class would be considered poverty in the US in many cases.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Sorry, but your collective comments indicate (to me) you either haven't seen the movie, or don't understand what was said portrayed and how those things relate to the situation during that time period and what's transpiring now or in the recent past. As for my bias, I do have a bias. And one of them is not to sugar coat things to make them what they're not. Viewing situations through clear lenses is how I prefer to see the D.F. and Mexico. The country, the D.F., deserve that.

As for electronics purchases: I've shopped extensively in the D.F. For from-the-factory warranted merchandise which has not fallen from the back of a truck, costs have always been higher in the D.F. than in the USA. In addition to computers I include digital cameras, television sets. These have been my experiences. Furniture has been lower priced, however. Sofas, chairs, beds and bedding. Refrigerators have been poor quality, for the most part, compared to what I've purchased in both the USA and Canada.

Regarding the throw-away of worn/damaged merchandise: Cultural behavior evolves. It's less expensive in Mexico to repair. It's less expensive, oftentimes, to toss rather than repair in the USA and Canada. Labor is cheap in Mexico. Expensive in the USA and Canada. These are apples to oranges comparisons. Mexicans will evolve, once the nation is better developed and personal income increases. That's not likely to happen near-term. "Repair" is the "green" solution though. But I doubt many Mexicans take that into consideration.

And about the middle-class in Mexico, I agree that many of those folks would be considered poor in the USA. Life's a struggle. At all levels. And we face the find out how to survive or perish challenge.

Last edited by gomexico; 03-07-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Regarding the throw-away of worn/damaged merchandise: Cultural behavior evolves. It's less expensive in Mexico to repair. It's less expensive, oftentimes, to toss rather than repair in the USA and Canada. Labor is cheap in Mexico. Expensive in the USA and Canada. These are apples to oranges comparisons. Mexicans will evolve, once the nation is better developed and personal income increases. That's not likely to happen near-term. "Repair" is the "green" solution though. But I doubt many Mexicans take that into consideration.

And about the middle-class in Mexico, I agree that many of those folks would be considered poor in the USA. Life's a struggle. At all levels. And we face the find out how to survive or perish challenge.
Yes, and add in the fact that Americans often throw away (or sell very cheaply) perfectly working but old stuff. Our (newer) microwave quit on us, forcing to use the one in the office, which was about 25 years old at the time but perfectly worked...but we wanted a new microwave! Or the countless Americans who have thrown out perfectly good TV sets they bought for $200 or $300 10 years ago in order to get a stylish, flat widescreen LCD TV or plasma display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico