Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,717,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

She wanted to get intimate but went into the bathroom, told me not to look, but I could see her in the mirror and her legs were nearly as woolly as mine. She came back out with just a tank top and long leggings on, but had arm/armpit hair nearly to the level of the average man. I told her I simply wasn't interested, but not only was I not interested, I was just appalled at how someone who was previously so well kept let herself go, physically and otherwise.

Women grow hair, get over it. I never shaved and our sex life is great with my husband. Don't be so shallow jerk to keep womens natural body hair "manly". It grows, it is there, it is meant to grow, it is in genes, body hair belongs to a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,759,471 times
My ex wife saved my life when I had 'given up'. It can and does happen.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,891,275 times
It's not about leg hair, it's about a shift in mental state, of which her greatly decreased grooming standards appear to be only one of many indications.

I would also suspect that seeking sexual intimacy with a long past ex one only has a passing acquaintanceship with, despite an emotional state resulting in pretty serious personal squalor also spirals to real emotional instability.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 05-31-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,881,373 times
Did you go there planning to have sex with this woman and changed your mind because of aesthetic reasons? When I got to the part of the story where you two had agreed to have sex, after everything you had said about her, I was truly shocked. I hope you do not make a habit of exploiting vulnerable, mentally ill women who have better hygiene.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,230,913 times
It is sad. I saw a former GF descend into hard drug use. Lost her daughter.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:30 AM

20,713 posts, read 16,546,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post

Women grow hair, get over it. I never shaved and our sex life is great with my husband. Don't be so shallow jerk to keep womens natural body hair "manly". It grows, it is there, it is meant to grow, it is in genes, body hair belongs to a woman.
It becomes an issue when it shows her behavior degrading - in addition to a filthy apt., etc., etc. Don't just dwell on a single detail and disregard the bigger picture - that's not helpful.

To the OP - be very careful....she could easily drown you if you get too involved. You can point her to resources and maybe let some of her family know, but be careful. You're a good person and sometimes good people get used as life preservers.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 AM

35,313 posts, read 31,715,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's not about leg hair, it's about a shift in mental state, of which her greatly decreased grooming standards appear to be only one of many indications.
The poor grooming is a symptom of a larger problem. Obviously she's depressed about her mother and likely her finances/career. I am not in the best of shape financially myself but I have good furniture, possessions, etc. - I am not at the bottom of the pit she's in. She is an only child and hasn't talked to her father in fifteen years.

Back when I first met her, she was eager to go to law school, did well in school, etc., but after her mother died, she can't seem to get out of this rut. Instead of going to law school, she's just gone around between different jobs she had throughout college.

She'll be 27 in September and is no longer in the new grad pool, nor particularly young anymore. If she's going to make life improvements and not stay in this rut forever, she has to figure out what's troubling her and do something about it. She's drinking fairly heavily now (has left me drunk voicemails at 2-4 AM) and has talked suicide aside from having her dogs to live for.

We had been talking the last few weeks about her mother's estate and that she seemed to want help with, but in person she didn't have any of the facts straight or any documentation. I thought something might have been there but seeing her in that condition just made me feel sorry for her.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,587,572 times
Quote:
The poor grooming is a symptom of a larger problem. Obviously she's depressed about her mother and likely her finances/career. I am not in the best of shape financially myself but I have good furniture, possessions, etc. - I am not at the bottom of the pit she's in. She is an only child and hasn't talked to her father in fifteen years.

Back when I first met her, she was eager to go to law school, did well in school, etc., but after her mother died, she can't seem to get out of this rut. Instead of going to law school, she's just gone around between different jobs she had throughout college.

She'll be 27 in September and is no longer in the new grad pool, nor particularly young anymore. If she's going to make life improvements and not stay in this rut forever, she has to figure out what's troubling her and do something about it. She's drinking fairly heavily now (has left me drunk voicemails at 2-4 AM) and has talked suicide aside from having her dogs to live for.

We had been talking the last few weeks about her mother's estate and that she seemed to want help with, but in person she didn't have any of the facts straight or any documentation. I thought something might have been there but seeing her in that condition just made me feel sorry for her.
If you really believe she is a friend, you need to talk to her about this. I think her offering you to come over was probably a cry for help.

If she has a health plan suggest she contact the mental health division. The number is usually listed right on the insurance card. She needs to see a professional. Needs. 27 isn't exactly over the hill or too late to resolve. There are resources out there but depression is tough because when you're in it you don't always realize it, and you don't know that there is help out there.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,230,913 times
Quote:

She'll be 27 in September and is no longer in the new grad pool, nor particularly young anymore.
27 isn't young? I consider that a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health