Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

Post-traumatic stress disorder has been on psychiatry's books for just 23 years, and before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, no one ever entertained the possibility that watching disturbing images of trauma on TV could give rise to the disorder.

The notion remains controversial, but new research suggests that PTSD might indeed be transmitted over the airwaves. The study finds that those who spent more than six hours a day watching media coverage of the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing and its aftermath suffered more powerful stress reactions than did people who were directly involved but watched less news coverage of the events.

Can you get PTSD from watching media coverage of an event? Maybe. - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,748 times
No, no way....

UNLESS the Taliban started calling you and threatening you and your family of more of the same....odd stuff starts happening in your life etc.

"Watching" something on TV won't do it alone. You need some direct connection to real life to get to ya.

Watch a movie about a serial killer who prays upon single women and THEN go out on a date with a nutcase who is clearly mentally insane and starts stalking you and stuff.....

That^ might do it.....

Watching "Days Of Our Lives" and "Oprah" won't.......

Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,748 times
People who already have PTSD from a past life and death experience can have a reoccurring PTSD panic attack triggered by watching things on TV though.

Saving Private Ryan, Platoon and a few other flicks proved that.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM

31 posts, read 37,774 times
I can believe it. I mean, that is the point of the news anyways; to keep you in a perpetual state of fear.

Stop watching the news and see how much better your life gets.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 PM

256 posts, read 480,616 times
Anxiety - yes, PTSD - no.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jade Stingray View Post
People who already have PTSD from a past life and death experience can have a reoccurring PTSD panic attack triggered by watching things on TV though.

Saving Private Ryan, Platoon and a few other flicks proved that.
This is true. And just for the sake of sharing oddities with people who are interested in such things, I was in the World Trade Center on 9/11, got out fairly early (just after the second plane hit the other building) and watched from a few blocks away, and more than once I've watched footage of the day with the towers burning and find myself with my hand covering my nose because I can smell it.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM

288 posts, read 717,410 times
I think watching news and reading news on websites makes me sick. Seeing all of the horrible things happening in the world, and constantly reading and hearing about it is unhealthy.

I try to limit my news intake because of this.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,363 times
Well 9/11 coverage did give me PTSD like symptoms, every time a plane flies over my house (which is daily)I become terrified, heart racing, sometimes I run into a closet or hide because of the fear of it crashing into my house

Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,757,107 times
Its funny that you mention this. I use to be a Flight Attendant several years ago. I struggled through the training, but go on with the job and was well liked and caught on fine. I was flipping through YouTube and watched a the first episode of Frontier's "Flight Attendant School". One episode turned into two..turned into the whole season! By the third episode I felt sick so my stomach and dizzy. It brought back memories. Even though I watched it on tv, it felt as if I was in the classroom with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health